Matt Hasslebeck released by Titans

PJBrown7

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah More Losmans and Jacksons lets fitz and holcombs and edwards :doh:

No one is talking about him as the "franchise" guy.....but a smart veteran wouldn't be a horrible stop gap for a year or two while a rookie learns. Hasselback is better than Fitz...and has been to a Superbowl and more than one pro bowl.

So he's better than Jackson. Who cares? Both Hasselbeck and Jackson are different shades of awful. Why bother with this tripe? Draft a kid, which everyone knows they're going to do, and put him in. Enough bull ****.

id rather have elizabeth hasslebeck

good one stealth....all qb's with good arms are losmans? edwards and holcombs were rag armers as well IMO holcomb moreso than trenative.

pj ive had enough with the stopgaps.........the stopgaps have been running this place for too long, sorry i don't want another one.

zuckerhorn--------im with ya, draft a young qb and lets just move on, if he's a gabbert/clausen bust then we are in the same boat as now which is irrelevancy. if he's decent then the bills have some promise.

meathead-------elizabeth hasslebeck? yes yes and YESSSS! what a smoker.

Our options for who will line up under center this season.

TJax

Aaron Corp

Rookie we haven't drafted yet.

Matt Hasselbeck

Despite the anomaly of last year, rookie QBs - even highly regarded ones - often perform miserably in the NFL. Given that - and given our options - I wouldn't mind signing Hasselback to see in training camp what he might have left.

I cannot believe the lack of respect for Aaron Corp here.

That's funny. But watch Corp come out, win the starting job and lead us to the Playoffs. Stranger things have happened But not with the Bills luck. ha!

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Well that didn't take long. Colts plan to sign former Titans QB Matthew Hasselbeck, who was released today, on Tuesday.

Clearly we should not have attempted to sing a player a team as dysfunctional and loosing as the Colts did. Oh wait...

Despite the anomaly of last year, rookie QBs - even highly regarded ones - often perform miserably in the NFL. Given that - and given our options - I wouldn't mind signing Hasselback to see in training camp what he might have left.

Are you saying to sign Hasselbeck in addition to drafting a QB?

What if the rookie struggles a bit and is yanked, and we never truly evaluate him as a result?

What if the Bills win 7 games with Hasselbeck, missing the playoffs and having middling draft position again?

I'm very firmly in the camp of sink or swim with the rookie QB and after a full year of evaluation, make a decision on whether to draft another QB next year.

This lack of a "QB of the Future" issue needs to be put to rest ASAP.

JMO.

What if the rookie struggles a bit and is yanked, and we never truly evaluate him as a result?

What if the Bills win 7 games with Hasselbeck, missing the playoffs and having middling draft position again?

I'm very firmly in the camp of sink or swim with the rookie QB and after a full year of evaluation, make a decision on whether to draft another QB next year.

JMO.

(tieing threads together)

This whole "let's bring in Hasselbeck" thing, in addition to being moot 'cuz his agent was likely already chatting up the Colts on Saturday, makes me laugh

Look peeps. The Bills are not bringing in a stop-gap QB for $5 million. If they bring in a FA, it will be someone they think has potential as the future starter or someone who is willing to work 'cheap', on the $1-1.5 million range. I'm not sure who that would be - Flynn? Kolb (avert)?. They will not bring in a QB who has aged far past his prime but still commands big $$$ like Hasselbeck (took him a long time to find $5 million from another team) or Palmer.

SJBF is right. If we bring in a rookie, either he's ready to play or he can sit and learn while TJax hands off to CJ and Freddy and throws occasionally and we can tank and draft another rookie to battle it out next year. Hey, maybe we'll even see us some Cory Mac if he re-signs!

(tieing threads together)

This whole "let's bring in Hasselbeck" thing, in addition to being moot 'cuz his agent was likely already chatting up the Colts on Saturday, makes me laugh

Look peeps. The Bills are not bringing in a stop-gap QB for $5 million. If they bring in a FA, it will be someone they think has potential as the future starter or someone who is willing to work 'cheap', on the $1-1.5 million range. I'm not sure who that would be - Flynn? Kolb (avert)?. They will not bring in a QB who has aged far past his prime but still commands big $$$ like Hasselbeck (took him a long time to find $5 million from another team) or Palmer.

SJBF is right. If we bring in a rookie, either he's ready to play or he can sit and learn while TJax hands off to CJ and Freddy and throws occasionally and we can tank and draft another rookie to battle it out next year. Hey, maybe we'll even see us some Cory Mac if he re-signs!

I agree with the premise, except that Hasselbeck is better than TJ. We could have signed Hasselbeck to a 5M contract and simply cut ties with TJ (Who is getting 4.5M with incentives).

I agree with the premise, except that Hasselbeck is better than TJ. We could have signed Hasselbeck to a 5M contract and simply cut ties with TJ (Who is getting 4.5M with incentives).

Which brings me back to the original question:

JMO.

+1. We need to draft a QB high this year and give him a chance to succeed from day 1. If he sucks, then we draft another one high next year until you find your Franchise QB.,

The original question for me is how many wins can we get this year?

I don't get this losing mentality here of putting things on hold til we get that golden armed "franchise QB", then everything will take care of itself If the rookie comes in and loses out to TJ in pre season and the rookie ain't ready, don't throw him to the wolves and if he fails, toss him out. Then lather, rinse, and repeat. That's a recipe for burning through QBs and ruining them before they have a chance to succeed.

We need to build up the whole team. Not sub in some rookie QB with inferior talent around him which it seems many on here want to do.

Winning's not the most important thing, it's the only thing.

We haven't been so good at it lately, but IMHO we don't get there by tanking seasons and continuing the culture of losing.

Come on, Hackett and Marrone are offensive genuises and Pettine is a defensive genius. We got CJ and SJ and Mario and Happy Gilmore and Leodis returning kicks and probably a hot shot rookie QB. We got some good talent. We're going for it this year. Get off the losing train TBD!

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

The original question for me is how many wins can we get this year?

I don't get this losing mentality here of putting things on hold til we get that golden armed "franchise QB", then everything will take care of itself If the rookie comes in and loses out to TJ in pre season and the rookie ain't ready, don't throw him to the wolves and if he fails, toss him out. Then lather, rinse, and repeat. That's a recipe for burning through QBs and ruining them before they have a chance to succeed.

We need to build up the whole team. Not sub in some rookie QB with inferior talent around him which it seems many on here want to do.

Winning's not the most important thing, it's the only thing.

We haven't been so good at it lately, but IMHO we don't get there by tanking seasons and continuing the culture of losing.

Come on, Hackett and Marrone are offensive genuises and Pettine is a defensive genius. We got CJ and SJ and Mario and Happy Gilmore and Leodis returning kicks and probably a hot shot rookie QB. We got some good talent. We're going for it this year. Get off the losing train TBD!

Go BILLS !!

I don't think any coaching staff will go with the mentality to tank the season or win a small # of games. I am sure Marrone is aiming to make the playoffs right from the word go.

I agree that Hasselbeck is better than TJax, even today.

According to Over the Cap, TJax is getting $1.25M base with $1M bonus (so we'd only save $1.25M). I don't think the Bills are planning to let TJax rack up 65% of the snaps event Hasselbeck is reportedly getting $5 million salary this year and $3 million next, nothing about incentives.

BTW: just me or is this a little bit of a snipe? Quote from Hasselbeck: "“I just wanted to be a part of something special. I wanted to be a part of a team that has a chance to win the Super Bowl. I wanted to be working with quality people.” Take that, Titans.

Yep. The Titans replaced their backup with an inferior player to save money.

I wonder how this news is going over in Nashville these days. I'm thinking that the Titans fans are agog over all the free agent signings so that this backup QB story isn't really being scrutinized as much as it should.

Titans fans better hope Locker improves a helluva lot or else they're not gonna see the playoffs again this year.