Lane Johnson (OT), Glenn to (LG)?

SoggyHog

The problem is that if Glenn and Johnson end up being high-caliber bookends, OBD isn't gonna pay both of them market rate when they hit their second contract. If this organization doesn't want to pay linemen then they shouldn't bother drafting them high.

I couldn't agree more - we won't ever be relevant until we get a qb. Our line is good enough to address other positions now as we have so man y holes

I just don't think offensive line matters when the Bills are as bad as they're at other positions. They've got one NFL caliber WR and nothing at QB. Offensive Line seems to be considered safe but look at guys like Smith, Mike Williams, Robert Gallery. Go a step further look at some of the guys who were considered safe picks like Aaron Curry, again Robert Gallery, Mike Huff. Even Jake Long doesn't matter because the Dolphins didn't have a QB. If they want to take a LT and continue to be irrelevant do it. Hope that Manziel or Bridgewater are there next year when you pick.

I just don't think offensive line matters when the Bills are as bad as they're at other positions. They've got one NFL caliber WR and nothing at QB. Offensive Line seems to be considered safe but look at guys like Smith, Mike Williams, Robert Gallery. Go a step further look at some of the guys who were considered safe picks like Aaron Curry, again Robert Gallery, Mike Huff. Even Jake Long doesn't matter because the Dolphins didn't have a QB. If they want to take a LT and continue to be irrelevant do it. Hope that Manziel or Bridgewater are there next year when you pick.

If you don't think offensive line matters to the development of a rookie QB, I'd like to invite you to visit St Louis and have a chat with Mr Sam Bradford.

I thought, and still think, that he could have become a solid NFL QB and I don't know if he can ever recover from the 105 sack beating he's taken his first 3 years.

I'm all in on an OL in the first round. I would favor trading back if at all possible. Hopefully with only 6 picks Nix realizes what everyone knows. There is little difference from pick 5 to pick 25 in this draft. I hope Millner or someone falls to 8 that will generate some interest. I fear no one will want to move up. I like the idea of a OT or Warmack in the first round and then QB/BPA the rest of the way. Just don't don anything stupid like trading away next years top 3 pick to get back into the bottom of the first round. Trade back at every chance in this draft and get two QB's even.

Just wondering what you guys think if Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma fell to #8, would it be wise for the Bills to grab him and move Cordy Glenn to LG where he had success in college. That would be a solid line with Johnson (LOT), Glenn (LG), Wood C, Urbik (RG), Pears/Harriston (ROT).

This would allow the Bills to select a QB in round 2. Maybe Nassib, Manuel, Glennon or Wilson.

What do you think?

*sorry if this is already posted. I did a search and didn't find anything*

No, thanks. There are teams drafting behind the Bills who genuinely need a left tackle. I'd rather see if the Bills could entice one of them to trade up rather than take Johnson there.

No, thanks. There are teams drafting behind the Bills who genuinely need a left tackle. I'd rather see if the Bills could entice one of them to trade up rather than take Johnson there.

Agree. If Lane Johnson is still on the board at #8, there will be teams trying to move up to get him. San Diego, St. Louis to name two, unless Jake Long signs with them. Miami could also seek to move up, but unless the offer were way above the others, I think you don't trade with division foes. Cincy could also lose there tackle and may seek to move up. They have the picks to do so. We really need more picks. C. Patterson could still be there in the 11-16 range. QBs may still be there later in the round. I think Matt Scott will be a bargain for somebody.

Cordy Glenn's success at LT in the NFL means more to me than his success at LG in college.

He's our starting LT and will be for a long time. If it's not broke why are people trying to fix it?

I think the whole moving Glenn to guard thing is such a terrible idea.

+1

Glenn had an excellent rookie season at LT..which is more important than guard. Im sure his moral would be high if he where moved to guard where he will not see the money of a LT

Let him compete for LT. That will light a fire under his butt. Loser goes to RT, I would think.

I've also wondered if they've had their eye on Barrett Jones as C and moving Wood to guard, which would likely be an upgrade to Levitre.

Wood is starting to be worrisome with all the injuries, and perhaps he'd be more durable at guard. Barrett Jones seems impressive.

I agree completely. I've noticed many people on this board are enamored with picking OL in the first round, but I have a feeling the Bills will opt to either draft a QB or LB. There is no doubt that the Bills should look into upgrading the OL, but then you've also got to think about value as well- high impact defense players should be the pick here. Jones may fall due to injury concerns and would be an absolute steal in the middle rounds

I agree completely. I've noticed many people on this board are enamored with picking OL in the first round, but I have a feeling the Bills will opt to either draft a QB or LB. There is no doubt that the Bills should look into upgrading the OL, but then you've also got to think about value as well- high impact defense players should be the pick here. Jones may fall due to injury concerns and would be an absolute steal in the middle rounds

I could get on board with a scenario like that too. I'm holding out hope that Barkley wows everyone on his pro day though. If he or Geno is available, I'd take it. Then again a nice defensive guy and QB in the second could work. I'm no expert but I do like BPA when it's a position of need. On the surface LT is not a position of need but Glenn was considered the best guard coming out of college with most people(Bill's excluded) not thinking of him as a tackle.

To sum things up, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by Rockinon

If you don't think offensive line matters to the development of a rookie QB, I'd like to invite you to visit St Louis and have a chat with Mr Sam Bradford.

I thought, and still think, that he could have become a solid NFL QB and I don't know if he can ever recover from the 105 sack beating he's taken his first 3 years.

The QB taken 1st overall? From a team that blew a pick taking Jason Smith? Who hasn't given him weapons to throw the ball to? Also Bradford was out much of his final year at Oklahoma. Look at who he had to throw the ball to. Amendola was out much of the last two years. He's gone through I think 3 coaches.

It's not 1970's football or even 1990's. Get a QB get skilled position guys and worry later.