Gibson interested in bills but bills never called

NishP

To me, and I would have been interested in Gibson myself for the right price, it was simply a matter of the Bills didn't want him for the money he was asking. He was reportedly asking for $6m a year. The Bills likely were informed of his parameters and said no thanks. I'd imagine he got about 5 mil a year for the first two years of his Dolphin contract. The Bills probably thought that was way too much for a player like that.

I'm not just sticking up for the team. If we find out that Gibson signed for 3-4m a season I will be pissed that we didn't go after him. We need at least two new WR that can play right away. Rookie WR often don't do much. I still am interested in Hayward-Bey.

Can't disagree with this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly they're wasting a chance. Stevie is doing his best to recruit guys, but nobody in management is listening.

Two friends of mine, including the venerable AKC formerly of this board, had lunch with Stevie in LA a couple days ago. The Bills set it up with our Bills Backers group. Stevie said don't worry about the Bills not signing big guys, they will wait and swoop in and sign some second tier guys, and that he and CJ and Fred were actively pursuing a bunch of guys to come play. Gibson was likely one of them (and, again, IMO, the team thought he was asking too much money). But SJ wasn't at all mad about free agency and the direction the team was going.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Two friends of mine, including the venerable AKC formerly of this board, had lunch with Stevie in LA a couple days ago. The Bills set it up with our Bills Backers group. Stevie said don't worry about the Bills not signing big guys, they will wait and swoop in and sign some second tier guys, and that he and CJ and Fred were actively pursuing a bunch of guys to come play. Gibson was likely one of them (and, again, IMO, the team thought he was asking too much money). But SJ wasn't at all mad about free agency and the direction the team was going.

See if they'll stop by and post about it, it'd be pretty cool to hear about it.

See if they'll stop by and post about it, it'd be pretty cool to hear about it.

I will ask them both, or at least to relay some more info about what Stevie said. I'll see them both on St Patty's day. They said SJ was great. I think if he said anything really noteworthy they would have told me already.

I can't believe…never mind.

Too true.

To me it's interesting how the environment surrounding the team might make it very difficult for the Bills decision makers to function properly.

There is no basis for success and there's a very impatient and disgusted fan base.

The team might want to plead patience and tell the fans that they are finally on the right track but on what would they have to base these claims?

Only the unknown future.

I guess I would feel better if they tendered their UFAs and were at least a bit more open about what their plan is. The silence makes me nervous, but perhaps it's the smarter approach.

Not doubting he was interested and the Bills never made a call, but if he really wanted to play for the Bills wouldn't he have had his agent contact the them to gauge interest?

I think people are looking into this way too much. Stevie Johnson is good friends apparently with Brandon Gibson (you can tell from the tweets). SJ probably thinks he's a good receiver because he's his friend, and probably thought that would be awesome to have my "cuz" play on the same offense together because he knows we need more WR weapons now that Nelson and Jones are gone. And Gibson, knowing the Bills lack a #2, thought the same thing.

That is likely the mutual interest. Not the team. If the Bills aren't interested in paying him, he's no longer interested in teaming up with his pal, SJ.

When I read this earlier this afternoon, I have to admit, I threw up in my mouth a bit. A decent receiver who actually wants to come here, yet we are happy with one true receiver on the roster. This team is pathetic. I guess they are just waiting until every other team is done in Free Agency, then whatever scraps are left, players who can't sign anywhere else might consider Buffalo. More then likely though, we will fil the 15 holes on this roster with the 6 draft picks they have?

Tim Graham's original quote, tweet and article said, "A source informed me shortly after wide receiver Brandon Gibson signed a three-year deal with the Dolphins that Gibson wanted to play with his buddy, Bills receiver Stevie Johnson."

Not the Bills. He wanted to play with SJ. Granted, it's the same thing, but it's not like the source said Gibson targeted the Bills.

Not doubting he was interested and the Bills never made a call, but if he really wanted to play for the Bills wouldn't he have had his agent contact the them to gauge interest?

Brian Billick is looking on incredulously. How dare they... Not again.

theyve already told you the plan, many times

a. let other teams fight for the top of the chart guys

3. wait until later and get the inevitable better values that always emerge

russ is doomed cheap

Correct. No franchise QB and no WR for opposite Stevie.

Look for those positions at the top of the draft folks.... Maybe a value signing at WR.