Bucs make Goldson highest paid safety

QCity

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Goldson's deal is worth $41.25 million over 5 years and includes $22 million in guaranteed money.

Grrrr you suck Tampa, a gazillion in cap space and they're handing out blank checks. This is not going to help us negotiate with Byrd...

Actually, Polamalu retains top spot with a contract that has on average 9.87m/year.

Bell comes 2nd with 8.34m/year.

Goldson is 3rd(assuming the numbers quoted are correct) with 8.25m/year.

Based on Brandons logic ( he is in charge not Nix) we need to cut Byrd....you cannot pay a safety that much just like Levitre, you cannot pay a guard that much...CRAPPOLA

It's not based on "Brandon's logic" it's based simply on logic. You can't pay every position top 5 in the NFL super-star money. You have to pick and choose where (and who) you're going to pay. So if a team decides to use that much cash on a S or G it means they can't pay that much at another, perhaps more important, position. So you pay the "difference makers." I loved Levitre but he simply isn't a difference maker on the field. Byrd, on the other hand, has proven to be that on quite a few occasions. He's made big plays at crunch time to seal up wins - those are the guys you pay.

Actually, Polamalu retains top spot with a contract that has on average 9.87m/year.

Bell comes 2nd with 8.34m/year.

Goldson is 3rd(assuming the numbers quoted are correct) with 8.25m/year.

By Bell, I believe you mean "Berry," as in Eric Berry.

Start negotiating with Byrd now.

I can't believe how much space tampa has. I read that they plan on giving revis 16 mil a year as well. Holy crap do will they have a ton of money in their secondary. In the NFC south you need it thought with Brees, Ryan and Newton.

Based on Brandons logic ( he is in charge not Nix) we need to cut Byrd....you cannot pay a safety that much just like Levitre, you cannot pay a guard that much...CRAPPOLA

CRAPPOLA assumption on Brandon's logic since he obviously agreed to tag Byrd.

somebody posted on twitter yesterday that Bryan Scott has almost identical stats to Goldson (actually slightly better) with half of the snaps. Yet he makes $750k and is disliked by many fans and Goldson makes $8m per yr. Crazy how perception is more important than reality.

I would not want the Bills to pay Byrd anywhere close to what Goldson just got. Plenty of good safeties available at far more reasonable prices.