Amendola..Welker clone Pats new go to guy

Lol I love how the pats in-your-faced welker

It's gonna be a reverse in your face when Peyton welker and the broncos light them up in the playoffs.

Good luck to anyone stopping the broncos on 3rd and 3 ever.......Welkers gonna be a saint to the people of Colorado

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically that sounds better but I just can't even imagine them playing better and more efficiently than they did. I really do think Welker is a big loss. They may lose a lineman or two. I'm sure they will be great, and probably still better than the Broncos. But it's impossible to say right now how it will all play out.

I think the biggest concern for the Pats is whether or not all 4 of Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard and Amendola can stay healthy all year long. If they do, and after adding Lloyd into the equation, then the next ? might well be "are their enough balls to go around"

Crazy move by pats. Amandola will not survive playing in the style of Welker.

Welker was hands down the non-Brady MVP on that offense for years. Don't believe it? See Brady's response.

This swap makes no sense and will bite NE.

Crazy move by pats. Amandola will not survive playing in the style of Welker.

Welker was hands down the non-Brady MVP on that offense for years. Don't believe it? See Brady's response.

This swap makes no sense and will bite NE.

To be fair - it was the response of a source close to Brady, not Brady himself (though likely similar in sentiment)

They got a small step down in current ability to lock up a young guy longterm. Not awful. Likely not a "clone" either though.

Edited by NoSaint

To be fair - it was the response of a source close to Brady, not Brady himself (though likely similar in sentiment)

They got a small step down in current ability to lock up a young guy longterm. Not awful. Likely not a "clone" either though.

Part of Welker's success is that he can take a beating. That position on that offense requires a real tough guy. Amandola is younger, but not as tough.

Part of Welker's success is that he can take a beating. That position on that offense requires a real tough guy. Amandola is younger, but not as tough.

Amendola is plenty tough enough (read about his broken collarbone incident). What's uneasy for the Pats is whether he can stay healthy or not. Looking at his injuries, these are more of the unlucky incident types involving broken bones than anything. One would think they will have healed up properly and would be a non issue moving forward.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure the Pats are going to expect the same things from Amendola as they did from Welker. Namely, bread and butter workhorse inside and underneath coverage. That's Gronk and Hernandez territory and likely would have been moreso last year had they been able to stay healthy long enough to play the part. Don't get me wrong, they will still use Amendola as such not just as the workhorse like with Welker. They won't need too. I suspect the Pats will add different routes and plays to Amendola's arsenal to change things up some. I think he's got enough of an added skillset to allow for a change.

He's a Welker clone in the way that most clones have some physical deficiency that makes them subpar to the original. Amendola is a nice piece that I might not have minded having here, but he is injury-prone and NE just paid through THE NOSE for him while Denver took Brady's fave target for relative peanuts. Now, of course, let's see their health records switch now that Amendola is under Belicheck's dark magickal sway. Hopefully not.

They got better than 110 catches a season? You're nuts. Welker was an amazing, amazing player for them. No way IMO that Amendola comes close to the numbers, production, or goes over the middle and takes the pounding like Welker did.

agreed. they dump good players like they can be replaced all the time. still laughing about the Seymour trade. their defense has sucked for years.

never has there been a better example of how important a qb is to a team (well, that and Peyton getting hurt and watching Indy go from playoff team to worst team ever)

Firstly to Pneumonic's comments in "the other" Welker thread, it definitely had to do with animosity between Welker and Belichick:

As to Welker, maybe the Pats weren’t willing to pay more than $5 million per year because they believe he was grossly overpaid in 2012 under the franchise tag, at $9.5 million for one season. Then there’s the awkwardness that has unfolded in recent years, with Welker being benched for a playoff game after he defied Bill Belichick’s edict to stay away from the Rex Ryan foot-fetish story and Welker possibly being phased out early in the 2012 season and Welker saying it’s “nice to stick it in Bill’s face every once in a while” after a 13-catch performance in October.

You know, Welker 2 years for 12 million total. You got to think the pats* offered him at least that.

Reports are that the Cheatriots*** offer was 2 years for $10 million.

Lol I love how the pats in-your-faced welker

I'm not so sure that's what happened.

Also, he who laughs last laughs best.

This story is far from over.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Firstly to Pneumonic's comments in "the other" Welker thread, it definitely had to do with animosity between Welker and Belichick:

As to Welker, maybe the Pats weren’t willing to pay more than $5 million per year because they believe he was grossly overpaid in 2012 under the franchise tag, at $9.5 million for one season. Then there’s the awkwardness that has unfolded in recent years, with Welker being benched for a playoff game after he defied Bill Belichick’s edict to stay away from the Rex Ryan foot-fetish story and Welker possibly being phased out early in the 2012 season and Welker saying it’s “nice to stick it in Bill’s face every once in a while” after a 13-catch performance in October.

Reports are that the Cheatriots*** offer was 2 years for $10 million.

I'm not so sure that's what happened.

Also, he who laughs last laughs best.

This story is far from over.

Any franchise that lives in fear of what a Wes welker will do is not a franchise. And kraft being the good businessman made sure he had a backup plan so welker wasn't in a position to hold them hostage. I'll take pats side of the equation on this one. And little welky ended up getting no where near what he though he would as a FA.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Any franchise that lives in fear of what a Wes welker will do is not a franchise. And kraft being the good businessman made sure he had a backup plan so welker wasn't in a position to hold them hostage. I'll take pats side of the equation on this one. And little welky ended up getting no where near what he though he would as a FA.

He got more than the Cheatriots*** were offering.

And he has a chance to be a real thorn in their sides.

"Little Welky?" Sounds kinda personal.

He got more than the Cheatriots*** were offering.

And he has a chance to be a real thorn in their sides.

"Little Welky?" Sounds kinda personal.

Marginally more than patriots and again the real point no where what he thought he'd get.

What's your point here, that welker is key to winning super bowl, even though in 6 seasons with him pats didn't win one; including a critical drop by him in the super bowl loss to giants 2 years ago. Pats will continue to survive and thrive w/o him, you want to bet me right now they don't win the division and have a bye next year ?

They got better than 110 catches a season? You're nuts. Welker was an amazing, amazing player for them. No way IMO that Amendola comes close to the numbers, production, or goes over the middle and takes the pounding like Welker did.

Are you questioning his scouting report of him? Come one, he had him on his fantasy team, he knows what he's talking about!

If Amendola can stay healthy my guess is he'll thrive with Brady as his QB.

With the injury history or Hernandez, Gronkowski, and now Amendola, the odds are not in the Pats favor. History says some or perhaps all will miss significant time.

Wait until you see it with Gronk and Hernandez healthy and on the field for more than just 1 game together.

Good luck with that.