Why we aren't drafting (and shouldn't draft) a guard at 8

ny33

http://www.bloggingt...uch-a-sure-pick

Here's a list of guards drafted in the first round.

Iupati is a key part of an excellent San Francisco line, Grubbs a Saint, Mankins a Patriot, Zeitler a Bengal, and DeCastro a Steeler (though he didn't play). You can argue that these players are great additions for playoff teams with QBs, but a poor addition for any rebuilding team. We should draft a pass rusher if the QB we want isn't around. Teams aren't drafting guards when they have no idea who their starting QB is.

Edit: Mankins hasn't won a Super Bowl, but, like Iupati, has been a key player for a team that has made the Super Bowl. Regardless, there is no point in drafting a first-round guard unless you have a QB in place.

Edit: Grubbs is a Saint, not a Raven.

Edited by ny33

Nobody drafts guards that high

Chris Naoele was drafted at ten in 1997, and several mock drafts (and posters) have projected Warmack to the Bills at 8. I thought it would be worthwhile to have some statistical evidence proving that it doesn't make sense, at all, for our team to take Warmack or Jonathan Cooper.

while og is a need, i really think that the needs we have at qb, lb, wr, and qb far, far outweigh the need for a guard. if the og is taken ahead of any of these other positions then he really better be special, and i mean like holy $#!! i've never seen a human being destroy people like that!

Disclaimer: the following is in no way an endorsement for selecting Warmack or any other G with the 8th pick.

Where and when players were selected or any other statistical evidence of what players won which SBs (or not) has absolutely NO bearing on future player evaluations and determining where said future players will or won't be drafted.

It's very simple for any position: is this guy a football player that can help us or not?

GO BILLS!!!

Disclaimer: the following is in no way an endorsement for selecting Warmack or any other G with the 8th pick.

Where and when players were selected or any other statistical evidence of what players won which SBs (or not) has absolutely NO bearing on future player evaluations and determining where said future players will or won't be drafted.

It's very simple for any position: is this guy a football player that can help us or not?

GO BILLS!!!

Sure, but what's the point of drafting a guard if you don't have a QB he's protecting? There is a ton of evidence that teams drafting guards in the first do so because they have a QB they want to protect. Warmack or Cooper might be the best guards in the league coming out of the draft, but what's the point if we don't have a passing game?

You don't typically see guards that high bc they are protected on all sides and therefore can get away with less skill. This draft has a lot of quality guards and honestly we have a lot of lineman that can play inside or out so a later round guard would be the best bet for this team. They need to get someone that is a play maker on either side of the ball, which is something this team has lacked for a long time. I think we have to get our hands on the best defensive player first and try and move up (or back) to get Tavon Austin to go with Stevie and Nassib which seems to be an almost certainty now.

Edited by hercuhatty

Sure, but what's the point of drafting a guard if you don't have a QB he's protecting? There is a ton of evidence that teams drafting guards in the first do so because they have a QB they want to protect. Warmack or Cooper might be the best guards in the league coming out of the draft, but what's the point if we don't have a passing game?

Building a team is not a linear process. You don't pass up blue chip talent at less "important" positions to select less talented players at more "important" positions.

Everybody and their mother knows you need a franchise QB to even begin to have a chance to compete. And we all know you need to pressure the QB with a dominating defense. But you can't reach to fill needs. Especially teams that need so many playmakers.

And playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need, regardless of position.

GO BILLS!!!

Building a team is not a linear process. You don't pass up blue chip talent at less "important" positions to select less talented players at more "important" positions.

Everybody and their mother knows you need a franchise QB to even begin to have a chance to compete. And we all know you need to pressure the QB with a dominating defense. But you can't reach to fill needs. Especially teams that need so many playmakers.

GO BILLS!!!

For some reason JP Losman just popped into my head. :doh:

The Bills won't draft a G at #8, but they might draft a T.

http://www.bloggingt...uch-a-sure-pick

Here's a list of guards drafted in the first round.

Note that the guys who have won championships recently were drafted late- Grubbs at 29 by Baltimore.. Iupati is a key part of an excellent San Francisco line. You can argue that these players are great additions for playoff teams with QBs, but a poor addition for any rebuilding team. We should draft a pass rusher if the QB we want isn't around.

Edit: Mankins hasn't won a Super Bowl, but, like Iupati, has been a key player for a team that has made the Super Bowl. Regardless, there is no point in drafting a first-round guard unless you have a QB in place.

grubbs isnt in baltimore, hes with the saints and has no ring - just an fyi

For some reason JP Losman just popped into my head. :doh:

The Bills won't draft a G at #8, but they might draft a T.

I can see that, too. Blue chip LT, slide Glenn to LG, and you have a formidable left side for years to come. Stranger things have happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Chris Naoele was drafted at ten in 1997, and several mock drafts (and posters) have projected Warmack to the Bills at 8. I thought it would be worthwhile to have some statistical evidence proving that it doesn't make sense, at all, for our team to take Warmack or Jonathan Cooper.

Doesn't make sense "at all"? I beg to differ. Chance and Cooper are blue chip prospects. Levitre is gone. There are two Hall of Famer gaurds on your list and gaurd is not a sexy position for hall of fame claim. The two bills gaurds drafted in the first round both were starters for more than a decade.

We probably won't pick either because of incompetence in the gm slot. Actually we probably won't pick either because it actually does make sense and we have not made any sense in drafting for some time.

Doesn't make sense "at all"? I beg to differ. Chance and Cooper are blue chip prospects. Levitre is gone. There are two Hall of Famer gaurds on your list and gaurd is not a sexy position for hall of fame claim. The two bills gaurds drafted in the first round both were starters for more than a decade.

We probably won't pick either because of incompetence in the gm slot. Actually we probably won't pick either because it actually does make sense and we have not made any sense in drafting for some time.

It doesn't make sense to draft a complementary player when you don't have a QB. If you look at the list of teams who've drafted guards, almost all- especially those in recent years- have been ready to win. If you don't have a QB, what is the point of having a first round interior blocker?

Warrmack is over rated I think. His feet look to heavy and sloppy. Gs like Iupati and DeCastro were way better and they went what, 17 and 25 or something? Takke a G in the 3rd or 4th round or better yet sign one of those 'free agent' gaurds.

It doesn't make sense to draft a complementary player when you don't have a QB. If you look at the list of teams who've drafted guards, almost all- especially those in recent years- have been ready to win. If you don't have a QB, what is the point of having a first round interior blocker?

It is about best player available in a position of need. There is a good chance that there will be a blue chip gaurd available at 8. I agree that given the choice of a blue chip qb being there at 8 and given that we need such a guy...we would go that route. There is no blue chip qb in this draft. Gino Smith might be a stretch if he's available and I wouldn't see a problem with that.

My preference would be one of the blue chip linebackers or offensive tackles that might be available...but I'd be open to either of the gaurds depending on what's there at 8.

Warrmack is over rated I think. His feet look to heavy and sloppy. Gs like Iupati and DeCastro were way better and they went what, 17 and 25 or something? Takke a G in the 3rd or 4th round or better yet sign one of those 'free agent' gaurds.

Funniest Warmack post I've read.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Guard is not a playmaker position.