Why we aren't drafting (and shouldn't draft) a guard at 8

ny33

Guard is not a playmaker position.

Second funniest post of the thread. But one with an especially keen lack of understanding of the game, positions, and responsibilities on a play to play basis.

But keep watching the ball and the skill positions. Because that's what the game is all about.

GO BILLS!!!

Second funniest post of the thread. But one with an especially keen lack of understanding of the game, positions, and responsibilities on a play to play basis.

But keep watching the ball and the skill positions. Because that's what the game is all about.

GO BILLS!!!

So I still want to know what was funny about my post?

So I still want to know what was funny about my post?

On second thought, nothing was funny about your post. I'll just say that your evaluation of Warmack's "slow feet" and "sloppy" play may go against conventional wisdom.

That's about as diplomatic as I can be.

GO BILLS!!!

On second thought, nothing was funny about your post. I'll just say that your evaluation of Warmack's "slow feet" and "sloppy" play may go against conventional wisdom.

That's about as diplomatic as I can be.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the following evaluation, but here is NFL.com's take (I'm not sure who the scout is):

STRENGTHS

Thick interior player. Possesses a strong punch to shock oncoming defenders and consistently extends his arms to keep them at bay in pass protection. Strong lower half helps his anchor against bull rushes. Mobile enough to effectively trap and pull, regularly negates targets coming into the hole and flattens defensive backs in his path. Practiced fitting on linebackers on combo blocks. Brings attitude on every play, constantly keeps his hands and feet moving when drive-blocking, rolling his hips through contact, and looking to pancake his man whenever possible. Doesn’t have the quickest feet, but is very technically sound and uses his strong punch to stop defenders and his length to mirror. Drives interior defensive tackle off the ball on base blocks. Has handled a number of dominating college defensive lineman with ease.

WEAKNESSES

Pops straight up out of his stance at times, losing leverage battle against better tackles on occasion. Has foot speed to get out in front of screens but will miss targets and lacks the short area quickness to adjust to defenders on the move. Will stop his feet after first contact at times. Does not elite recovery speed to stop secondary rushes from quicker defensive linemen. Not asked to be a puller for Alabama’s zone-heavy run scheme.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the following evaluation, but here is NFL.com's take (I'm not sure who the scout is):

STRENGTHS

Thick interior player. Possesses a strong punch to shock oncoming defenders and consistently extends his arms to keep them at bay in pass protection. Strong lower half helps his anchor against bull rushes. Mobile enough to effectively trap and pull, regularly negates targets coming into the hole and flattens defensive backs in his path. Practiced fitting on linebackers on combo blocks. Brings attitude on every play, constantly keeps his hands and feet moving when drive-blocking, rolling his hips through contact, and looking to pancake his man whenever possible. Doesn’t have the quickest feet, but is very technically sound and uses his strong punch to stop defenders and his length to mirror. Drives interior defensive tackle off the ball on base blocks. Has handled a number of dominating college defensive lineman with ease.

WEAKNESSES

Pops straight up out of his stance at times, losing leverage battle against better tackles on occasion. Has foot speed to get out in front of screens but will miss targets and lacks the short area quickness to adjust to defenders on the move. Will stop his feet after first contact at times. Does not elite recovery speed to stop secondary rushes from quicker defensive linemen. Not asked to be a puller for Alabama’s zone-heavy run scheme.

"Mobile enough to effectively trap and pull." "Constantly keeps his feet moving..."

Yet

"Will stop his feet sometimes..."

"Has handled a number of dominating college defensive lineman with ease."

Yet

"Pops straight up out of his stance at times, losing leverage battle against better tackles on occasion."

I've yet to read an NFL.com scouting report on ANY lineman (or ANY player for that matter) that doesn't have contradictory statements. I mean he's mobile enough to trap and pull and yet, one of his negatives is that he wasn't asked to do that by Saban at Alabama? I understand that these guys HAVE to come up with something but far too often, especially in the case of the upper echelon players, they contradict themselves too much.

All I know is from what I've seen of him the last two seasons and the opinion of two personnel people I trust. What I've seen and what they've said jibes perfectly for me. And as I've always said, it's a subjective and inexact science to begin with so he has as good a chance as busting as anybody else in the draft when it's all said and done. But the early indicators say otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9