Tarvaris Jackson

Confused. According to "Over the cap" he signed pretty low:

(salary) (prorated bonus) (roster bonus) (workout bonus) (cap money) (dead money) (cap savings) Tarvaris Jackson $1,250,000 $500,000 $450,000 $50,000 $2,250,000 $500,000 $1,750,000

Considering the backup market, $2.25 million is pretty modest.

According to this article on ESPN, he signed for 1 year and $4.5 million

Which is correct? Big difference there

Confused. According to "Over the cap" he signed pretty low:

(salary) (prorated bonus) (roster bonus) (workout bonus) (cap money) (dead money) (cap savings) Tarvaris Jackson $1,250,000 $500,000 $450,000 $50,000 $2,250,000 $500,000 $1,750,000

Considering the backup market, $2.25 million is pretty modest.

According to this article on ESPN, he signed for 1 year and $4.5 million

Which is correct? Big difference there

Espn is probably reporting any contract escalators he had as well. For example he could have something in his contract that says If player throws 20 Touchdowns,he gets an extra million dollars,if player is voted to the prowbowl,he gets half a mil,etc,etc.

Espn is probably reporting any contract escalators he had as well. For example he could have something in his contract that says If player throws 20 Touchdowns,he gets an extra million dollars,if player is voted to the prowbowl,he gets half a mil,etc,etc.

Yep; ESPN likes big numbers.

It's a one year 1.75m contract with 2.25m available in incentives.

2/15/2013: Signed a one-year, $1.75 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus. Another $2.25 million is available through playing-time incentives. 2013: $1.25 million (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $450,000 roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent

I couldn't agree more with Bill Polian on that count! But, where to go for the starter? Draft.... most pundits agree that there isn't a QB worth a pick any earlier than between 20 and 32, so trade down? Select OLB and trade back into the late first as we did for J.P. Losman? Just suck it up and select one at #8? The only supposed starter that's available in trade is Matt Flynn. So do we offer Seattle a deal, say a 3rd/4th round pick this year and an escalator for next years' draft? Bad timing, IMO, for the Bills to be "stuck" holding the bag, needing the next franchise QB, going forward. I say load up on defense this year in the draft and let the young guns learn/mature something akin to Gilmore's rookie campaign. What say ye Bills fans??

I couldn't agree more with Bill Polian on that count! But, where to go for the starter? Draft.... most pundits agree that there isn't a QB worth a pick any earlier than between 20 and 32, so trade down? Select OLB and trade back into the late first as we did for J.P. Losman? Just suck it up and select one at #8? The only supposed starter that's available in trade is Matt Flynn. So do we offer Seattle a deal, say a 3rd/4th round pick this year and an escalator for next years' draft? Bad timing, IMO, for the Bills to be "stuck" holding the bag, needing the next franchise QB, going forward. I say load up on defense this year in the draft and let the young guns learn/mature something akin to Gilmore's rookie campaign. What say ye Bills fans??

I agree. CJ is the best player on this team. Our line ist was position of strength. Build up defense and play smash mouth (and draft a Guard)

It's a one year 1.75m contract with 2.25m available in incentives.

Got it, makes perfect sense - like was said, ESPN wants to make it big. There's still a missing $0.5 million

He's now the best quarterback on our roster.

If the season started today, he's our likely starter.

Now he gets the audition fans have wanted to see for six months now.

Who's excited?

All the TBD'ians who've been yelling that anyone is better one presumes.....after all, we can expect a dramatic reduction in INTs now right?

The guy is terrible, only threw 14 TD's to 13 INT's his last season (15 games). He held Minny back for years. Has had multiple seasons throwing more INT's than picks, all that with a stellar D and AP.

Fitz was the whipping boy for this franchise. Good for him leaving. Enjoy how terrible QB play can really be buffalo

I've been pretty vocal about my pessimism regarding Tavaris Jackson. His contract is evidence that the FO doesn't think much more of him than I do. That said, with Fitz gone I'm glad he's on the roster. He'll never be more than average at best (among NFL starters) but as a safety net we could do worse. Maybe not much worse, but worse.

The guy is terrible, only threw 14 TD's to 13 INT's his last season (15 games). He held Minny back for years. Has had multiple seasons throwing more INT's than picks, all that with a stellar D and AP.

Fitz was the whipping boy for this franchise. Good for him leaving. Enjoy how terrible QB play can really be buffalo

He's a backup-caliber QB. So is Fitzpatrick. Get over it.

I am no Travaris Jackson fan-boy, believe me....but you shouldn't take your disappointment over losing Fitz out on Travaris Jackson. Truth is, Fitz and T Jackson are probably not a lot different...other than the amount of money they were set to make. If Fitz had the same contract, or something comparable to what Jackson is making, he would likely still be a Buffalo Bill. But, he was going to cost considerably more, and his play simply did not warrant his pay.

Sorry Mango...your argument is ridiculous. Most of us here have a lot of experience watching terrible QB play. I think Bills fans gave Fitz a pretty fair shot...he was a "whipping boy" cuz he wasn't very good, most of the time (and was getting worse)..that is what happens. I think everyone likes Fitzpatrick personally....but, eventually, you have to win. I like Fitz more than any QB we have had since Bledsoe (not saying much I know), simply because he wasn't afraid to throw the balls, and take a chance or two....honestly, I think FItz had a very fair shot with the team and the fans. More so than the guys before him. He had a coach completely committed to him...was never benched for poor performance, even when it was easily warranted. Like the guy, honest I do, but he has only himself to blame for what happened today...and I bet he realizes that...he is not dumb.

Edited by Buftex

I am no Travaris Jackson fan-boy, believe me....but you shouldn't take your disappointment over losing Fitz out on Travaris Jackson. Truth is, Fitz and T Jackson are probably not a lot different...other than the amount of money they were set to make.

Likely we'll find out how different (or not) they are this fall