McKelvin re-signed

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! The best part about the signing is that even if we don't get the type of production we hope to get from him as a nickel corner in Pettine's system, at least we're getting back arguably the best return man in the league.

We don't know how his contract breaks down. What's incentive laden, what's guaranteed. He's a dominant returner and turned out to be a very effective nickel corner for us. Nickels are on the field a lot these days. Definitely bolsters the Bills backfield, it was getting bare back there.

I am not sure how to feel about this. I think they are paying for his return skills and not so much coverage skills

Well, is that so bad?

He was the only spark on this team during several games in the last 3 or 4 years. His ability to dynamically change the game was riveting. For better or for worse, the guy made you pay attention.

Well, is that so bad?

He was the only spark on this team during several games in the last 3 or 4 years. His ability to dynamically change the game was riveting. For better or for worse, the guy made you pay attention.

Glad he is back, 5 million per year probably limits too many more FA signings this offseason, unless Fitz re does his contract.

We don't know how his contract breaks down. What's incentive laden, what's guaranteed. He's a dominant returner and turned out to be a very effective nickel corner for us. Nickels are on the field a lot these days. Definitely bolsters the Bills backfield, it was getting bare back there.

$5 Million per year sounds too high for what I've seen from Mckelvin so far. But, I'm replying to "TheZone78" because he's exactly right, a tweet of $20M over 4 years doesn't tell us enough... and may not be accurate at all.

Everyone seems to agree McKelvin has the "tools"; now I'm intersted to see if he can master the mental part of the game, including looking for the ball at the right times.

I'd be fine with him getting $3M first year, then $3.5M, $4.5M, $6.5M with a $2M signing bonus, and some of that salary tied to playing time.

I would rather the Bills have used this money to sign Levitre. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. He has been benched over each of the last five years by different coaching staffs because he is not a starting caliber CB. Re-signing a CB who is not a starter for $5 million per year versus a starting near Pro Bowl caliber LG for $7 or 8 million per year? This is a microcosm of why the Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 years.

IDK.......i wanted him back but $5 mil? really? maybe he is going to be the other starting CB, because if not he is getting a lot of $ to return the ball

Nickel backers in today's passing league play well over half of all the defensive plays.

Guess Pettine thinks he is as good fit for the D...

Nix said as much in the interview he gave at the combine that he viewed McKelvin as the other starting corner opposite Gilmore when asked...guess it was foreshadowing...

Nickel backers in today's passing league play well over half of all the defensive plays.

When it was said that he was going to be a starter, my question was how does Nix know? Free agency hasn't come, the draft, mini camp, training camp, etc. On top of that Marrone is the coach. Shouldn't he be choosing his starters? So what if we pay Mckelvin a bunch of $ and he doesn't beat( say an undrafted) for the starting position? We will be paying him for just returning the ball. Just seems a little crazy at the moment. I will wait for contract details. This feels like Brad Smith all over again.

I would rather the Bills have used this money to sign Levitre. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. He has been benched over each of the last five years by different coaching staffs because he is not a starting caliber CB. Re-signing a CB who is not a starter for $5 million per year versus a starting near Pro Bowl caliber LG for $7 or 8 million per year? This is a microcosm of why the Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 years.

Absolutely correct.

Anyone who doesn't see the contract is likely incentive laden is foolish. This has to be in the realm of $3mm guaranteed with escalators clauses; starts, INT's, TD's, etc. I also think he doesn't start at CB, and will not reach those goals. Our new CB will be in the draft, I think we're out of the business of bringing in FA CB's.