Close call on an African hunt

Nice knee jerk reaction. Ever think what having a pride of lions on your land would do to your cattle, and wish they where thinned out? And someone pays you to do it?

Lot of Disney/city folk posting here.

Or your family. Man-eating lions aren't exactly uncommon. Little known fact: Elsa the lion, raised by George Adamson...Elsa found George's kitchen staff quite tasty. They kinda omitted that part in "Born Free."

Mostly, though...you shoot lion for the trophy. And the lion in that video was a beauty.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice knee jerk reaction. Ever think what having a pride of lions on your land would do to your cattle, and wish they where thinned out? And someone pays you to do it?

Lot of Disney/city folk posting here.

I think it was you in another thread posted the link to the guy that was dealing with wild boars in his fields. Seeing the pictures of the destruction they can do to a farmers land in a short amount of time is incredible.

I think it was you in another thread posted the link to the guy that was dealing with wild boars in his fields. Seeing the pictures of the destruction they can do to a farmers land in a short amount of time is incredible.

That was me. They are so desperate to be rid of them they hunt them from helicopters.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

• 4 weeks later...

Any response from you anti hunters on this?

The topic is heavily discussed there to the point that I, at least, cannot take away anything or add to their statements that hasn't been said...but I do support big game hunting as long as the big game has a chance.

The topic is heavily discussed there to the point that I, at least, cannot take away anything or add to their statements that hasn't been said...but I do support big game hunting as long as the big game has a chance.

I was more concerned about the remarks that locals [referred to as muntombo] get no benefit from big game hunting. Edited by Jim in Anchorage

• 5 weeks later...

was that the chick that got attacked & killed while having sex with her boyfriend 'in the bush'...the story said the boyfriend escaped with just a condom....but i assumed that story was from africa...i'll try and find the story

ok, found the story, and my story is in zimbabwe....perhaps we need more laws against lions, this is happening far too frequently

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/lion-kills-zimbabwe-woman-having-sex-in-african-bush_n_2820870.html

Doesn't sex always take place in the bush?

I had the great good fortune to go on a real-honest-to-God safari in Botswana in 1998. The real deal, in the wild - not a stupid game park with domesticated animals. Elephants, giraffes, cheetahs, rhinos, lions, the whole shooting match. In fact, it WAS the whole shooting match. The guys that ran the safari also ran a hunting expedition service (in which we weren't partaking), so they knew their schit. It's pretty cool. I was there for about 5 days, and one very quickly adapt/reoriented oneself to the solar clock. We'd get up first thing in the morning - before dawn - and go for a drive in the back of a Toyota Land Rover flatbed. We'd then come back for breakfast, and, frankly, go back to bed! Nothing moves in the middle of the day (too damn hot); they only get moving at crack-o-dawn and at the end of the day once the sun has begun setting. So then we'd go back out again after an early dinner. Very "au natural".

The first rule was that if we ever saw ANY large predatory cat - and we saw a CRAPLOAD of them - we were told not to move. The cats looked at us as part of the truck, so it was cool to slowly turn your body and snap photos, but DON'T stand up. They were intimidated by something that was, in essence, the size of two elephants. But DON'T screw with them. Dig it? The drivers carried 30/30s across the windscreen in case the guests didn't get the message.

The coolest part as relates to lions was one night in which we went out for our nightly cruise, and came across a pride of 5 lions stalking "something"..Pretty cool, but we didn't see the actual kill. We went back the next morning at daybreak, and sure enough we came upon the whole pride sitting around the carcass of a zebra (the South Africans pronounce it "zeb - ra" with the short "e", not the long "e"). Basically, all that remained was everything from its stomach forward. The boys had pretty much consumed everything south of the rib cage. My God, they were gorged, stomachs distended. They were panting the way we do after Thanksgiving dinner. Jesus, their stomachs were bloated. They did NOT look like the "Kings of the Jungle". They were beasts. Carnivorous machines 20 feet from the truck. We then drove further along, and came upon a solitary male sitting in one of the ruts of the road. He saw the vehicle and just snarled. I mean - snarled. We waited 15 minutes until he decided to move. Oddly enough, no one decided to get out and attempt to reason with him.

Here's the deal, ladies and gentlemen. I would NOT "F" with something like that. I don't care WHAT you saw on an F-ing YouTube tape. I mean, words have not been INVENTED that can describe how little I care about what you saw on a goddamn videotape. If you're out in that situation, you don't "F" with the lion.

Frankly, my money's on the lion. The hunter was a douchebag. He's lucky he's not looking at life from the inside of the lion's stomach. Which would be a very short film clip.

• 4 weeks later...

Never sure if you're serious, or the been sick on pills thing.

:lol::D

That's the point. I'll say something like that, it looks serious but it looks so stupid. Someone comes in and remarks I am an idiot, then it gets fun. I can either complain I am being treated unfairly and a good poster who does not deserve this (The Tom reaction). I could let someone else reply to the remark which then gets funnier because it goes off track so fast (the 2nd hand troll reaction). Or, I could just come in and do a variety of things. Seldom am I cereal on this board. This bread is no different.

:lol::D

That's the point. I'll say something like that, it looks serious but it looks so stupid. Someone comes in and remarks I am an idiot, then it gets fun. I can either complain I am being treated unfairly and a good poster who does not deserve this (The Tom reaction). I could let someone else reply to the remark which then gets funnier because it goes off track so fast (the 2nd hand troll reaction). Or, I could just come in and do a variety of things. Seldom am I cereal on this board. This bread is no different.

I will assume you're in the sick on medication phase now, right?

I'm over this thread. Not quite sure why your still pimping the hell out of it. At this point, I can't even make a reply on the topic without getting a warning point and a temporary ban.

Oh crap, ill see you all again in 8 hours.

I'm over this thread. Not quite sure why your still pimping the hell out of it. At this point, I can't even make a reply on the topic without getting a warning point and a temporary ban.

Oh crap, ill see you all again in 8 hours.

Will that give you time to burn Doug Flutiy to death? Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Will that give you time to burn Doug Fluty to death?

Who is Doug Fluty?

I won't even have enough time to burn Doug Flutie, let alone find this Doug Fluty you speak of and buy his house and burn him alive.