20 years following this team: I've never been more pessimistic

Don't get me wrong--I'm not going to not care the Bills this year. Or not follow the NFL. Or try to convince people not to watch.

I'm just genuinely curious: does anyone have any hope whatsoever for the coming season?

It's just (to me) mind boggling how inept this organization is.

In so many threads on here, for so long, I've defended the decisions the team has made. And when (usually) older posters would say something like "rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic," I would shake my head, thumb out something along the lines of "you gotta BILLieve," and smile coyly to myself knowing that when we won the super bowl NEXT season, i would have the last laugh.

I no longer feel that way.

THREE years ago, when the bills took baltimore to overtime, pittsburgh to overtime, and then won 4 in a row, it felt like a corner was turned. That was THREE years ago. We were "rebuilding" that entire time. Yet, here we are:

4 wins/6 wins/6 wins later. Rebuilding again.

No qb, no wideouts, no tight end, soon to be a weak interior line, no line backers, and a franchised safety who will probably walk next year.

It's been done to death, but I'll just say it again:

Our coach--couldnt succeed on the college level, in a bad conference. Now he's going to outsmart belliceck?

Our O coordinator has next to no NFL experience.

Our QB is unknown.

Our GM did so bad over the last 3 years, that we're rebuilding again. AND WE DIDNT FIRE HIM. were about to promote his protege!

we have no receivers.

we're going to let an olineman walk--to draft his replacement?? why? our running backs were dominant, and surprisingly, our qb didnt get sacked much--now we need to rebuild the oline??

If next season is a wash, then we are rebuilding again. Ok, why keep nix?

If we are close for next season, then why are we getting rid of these players (jones, nelson, etc.) It's because were not close, we're clearly going to rebuild! so fire nix! start over!

And next season, who's coming down the pike?

new england twice

pittsburgh

baltimore

cincy

new orleans

atlanta

theres 7 losses right there.

6 months til the season starts, but if this season is a wash, whats the point? ANOTHER rebuild?

i dont have the patience to prep myself for another 4 win season.

i cant believe im going to say this, but i am seriously considering not buying sunday ticket, and not spending my money on this team anymore. its just not worth it. 300+ dollars to watch a 3-5 win team "rebuild" for the 14th year in a row.

its so depressing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't live vicariously through your favorite sports team.

Everyone here relates to how you're feeling but you have to separate the Bills fortunes from your own.

When/if you're successful in life, the Bills ineptitude won't weigh so heavily.

If your life is good, you already know all this and disregard if necessary.

only ignornance would lead someone to believe that Marrone didnt suceed at Syracuse, We have an OC that prior to coming to Buffalo was seen in many parts of the NFL as one of the top up and coming offensive minds....GM did bad over the last 3 seasons...hmmm, there seems to be alot of talent on this team, is every pieve in place, no, but we have had 3 solid drafts and brought in some good FA talent.

I think you need to open your eyes and sees what is already in place and the direction this tema is headed.....there is a competative team being put together and its only going to get better. Yes QB is a huge question but its a question for alot of teams.....Perhaps you should take a break from the team since you dont like any part of it

i'm kinda the opposite. i feel very optimistic about this coming season. my expectations are not overly high, but i expect that i will enjoy seeing what the coaches are trying to establish and hopefully watching these players buy into the systems and play real hard. i expect growing pains (especially if there is a rookie qb and a lot of fresh new faces in general) but i also expect some nice moments from cj, freddy, mario, jairus, stevie...

Change is good.

My only sad feeling is that over this offseason, the new overall view of winning is getting into the playoffs?!

I wish winning the Super Bowl was the goal!

But, I'm glad the Bills are shaking things up a bit and are focused on changing the culture of the past 13 seasons.

With just 5 days until Free Agency begins...Russ is cheap!

Everyone here relates to how you're feeling but you have to separate the Bills fortunes from your own.

Some of the best advice I've seen on this board.

I also am overly obsessed with this team. I don't miss games. I've watched every last play of every blowout loss. After close losses (like the Pats last season), I don't speak to anyone or answer phone calls for a good 20-30 mins. I refuse to watch games with opposing teams fans. Seeing anyone cheer for my misfortune gets me extremely pissed off. I've always been competitive when I play sports and it transfers over to the Bills.

I'm not the least bit optimistic about this year. But this is an addiction for me. I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

I grew up around fair-weather Giants fans who can't name 1/4 of their roster. I get to watch and listen to them brag and jump around over their multiple SB wins.

If the Bills draft a RB or DT at #8 I will probably break various expensive things around my apartment, drop out of college and cry for days.

Edited by albany c2

i'm kinda the opposite. i feel very optimistic about this coming season. my expectations are not overly high, but i expect that i will enjoy seeing what the coaches are trying to establish and hopefully watching these players buy into the systems and play real hard. i expect growing pains (especially if there is a rookie qb and a lot of fresh new faces in general) but i also expect some nice moments from cj, freddy, mario, jairus, stevie...

Exactly how I feel.

Not to ruin your rant, but we rattled off the 4 game win streak under Dickie Jauron in 2008, when we started 4-0. The OT losses to Baltimore and Pittsburgh were in 2010 under Gailey, part of the 4-12 season.

Edited by Ramius

Some of the best advice I've seen on this board.

I also am overly obsessed with this team. I don't miss games. I've watched every last play of every blowout loss. After close losses (like the Pats last season), I don't speak to anyone or answer phone calls for a good 20-30 mins. I refuse to watch games with opposing teams fans. Seeing anyone cheer for my misfortune gets me extremely pissed off. I've always been competitive when I play sports and it transfers over to the Bills.

I'm not the least bit optimistic about this year. But this is an addiction for me. I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

I grew up around fair-weather Giants fans who can't name 1/4 of their roster. I get to watch and listen to them brag and jump around over their multiple SB wins.

If the Bills draft a RB or DT at #8 I will probably break various expensive things around my apartment, drop out of college and cry for days.

this is me, but i get over it quickly.

i also dont break things. i just take blutos advice. :beer:

Pretty pessimistic about the upcoming season as well and the current playoff drought is ridiculously long, but at some point it will get better. Even the Bengals have some good players now and have made the playoffs recently.

My current negativity stems from the lack of a quality QB and so many holes on the team with not much available for free agent signings in terms of cap space. Kind of shocking that we do not have more cap room given the current talent on the team.

Says the guy with 15,000 posts on Bills forum :P :P

I agree. I was Awful at doing this 10 years ago. Perhaps I grew up or perhaps I've just come to accept that we've become perrenial losers. However, I remain (guardedly) optmistic at the beginning of each season. I look forward to the games on Sunday. I dont get nuts like I used to when we lose and it doesnt ruin my week like it used to. Its 3 hours a week I watch and enjoy being surrounded by good friends drinking beer and hopefully the "movie" ends the way I hope. Sometimes its a horror show (like the pats/49ers beat downs this lastseason). Sometimes its a feel good movie (pats and raiders wins 2011). I was so/so on Marrone's hiring. The more I thought about it I love it. Its different than anything we've done in the last 20 years. Things have changed since the Glory years and it looks like the Bills are finally changing too. If it doesnt work out at least its not a repeat of the same exact 12 years (up and coming Coordinator or retread) at least they tried something different.

I agree. I was Awful at doing this 10 years ago. Perhaps I grew up or perhaps I've just come to accept that we've become perrenial losers. However, I remain (guardedly) optmistic at the beginning of each season. I look forward to the games on Sunday. I dont get nuts like I used to when we lose and it doesnt ruin my week like it used to. Its 3 hours a week I watch and enjoy being surrounded by good friends drinking beer and hopefully the "movie" ends the way I hope. Sometimes its a horror show (like the pats/49ers beat downs this lastseason). Sometimes its a feel good movie (pats and raiders wins 2011). I was so/so on Marrone's hiring. The more I thought about it I love it. Its different than anything we've done in the last 20 years. Things have changed since the Glory years and it looks like the Bills are finally changing too. If it doesnt work out at least its not a repeat of the same exact 12 years (up and coming Coordinator or retread) at least they tried something different.

there is a difference between optimism and false hope. theres nothing wrong with seeing the glass as half full. there is, however, an issue with seeing a glass holding half its capacity and saying it is overflowing.

I agree. I have never seen a Bills roster lacking so much. Most of our starters would be back ups on many teams. Outside of CJ and Stevie whom is a #2 wideout we don't scare anybody. The LB's we have on our roster are not even worthy of backup postions on most teams. Buffalo is truely a bush league team. I will take a couple years off from watching any games, ive already wasted the last 20 years waiting for a home playoff game what's another couple. The bills brass has alot of work to do, probaly will take a few years to get this mess fixed. They are going backwards by not signing levitre and taggging byrd.