Bills In New Orleans 2013

aussiew

BTW, i will pimp these guys a bit..I have not done the tour(s) but friends have and say it is outstanding. We are doing Saturday afternoon as part of our group not coming in till Saturday morning, but I would highly recommend a Friday afternoon tour to get a feel for the city and where you may want to explore/ hang out on Saturday.

Owners name is Jeff, let him know Paul the knucklehead Bills fan recommended them.

Cant get link to work, but name of site is

Confederacy of Cruisers..or New Orleans Original Bike Tour Company

http://confederacyofcruisers.com/

Two weeks guys, two weeks!

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the less energetic who don't want to cycle all over the city...I just took a group a few weeks ago and did the On again, off again, red bus company. Excellent for first timers who want to get an overview and a historical narrative of NOLA.

I thought that a week out I would chime in with a couple of my favorite things to do:

- 1st off it is Halloween in New Orleans so you will see some things that you have never seen in your life but its a blast.

-I am particularly fond of the Haunted History ghost tour (it leaves from Rob Zombie's shop in the French Quarter). It's about a 2 hour walking tour that you will find interesting.

- For the music fans Jeremy Davenport plays every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the Davenport lounge at the Ritz. He's really good and its a safer alternative to Frenchman.

- If you have time you should go on an airboat tour. It's supposed to be a little cooler next week so you may not see too many gators. Little know fact there are 3x as many alligators (2.1M) in Southeast Louisiana than in the entire state of Florida. (I learned that on one of those tours).

- Also, go check out the National WWII museum. It is an unbelievable place. It is massive and has a 4D movie experience for those with a tighter time schedule. Beyond all Boundaries basically takes you through WWII in 45 minutes. This place is great.

- There are a million good places to eat so I thought that I would share my favorite places in the dowtown area (since I assume that is where most of you will be staying). Have chargrilled oysters at dragos, BBQ shrimp at Deanies, redfish at Cochon, Turtle Soup at Palace Cafe and a shrimp po boy at Serios (a decent po boy spot but there aren't many downtown). If you want a really cool experience do lunch at Antoine's with the $.25 martinis. It is one of the oldest and classiest restaurants in the country. Last thing on food the John Besh restaurants (American Sector, Dominica, Borgne and Luke) have an amazing happy hour from 3:00-6:00 7 days a week (I think). They have discounted drinks and food that is great. (He is a famous celebrity chef). That is an affordable way to experience great New Orleans cuisine.

- Join us for our party on Saturday afternoon. I promise a good time. We have been planning it for a long time. Expecting 500 Bills fans and at least 1 Bills legend.

Last piece of advice, stay in groups and don't wander off the main streets in the French Quarter. Stay on Bourbon (or Royal) if you can help it. Take cabs when necessary. If you guys have any other questions while you are here please feel free to message me and I will do my best to reply. As we say in New Orleans Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kirby, thx for the rundown. The live music tip for Friday sounds good

Quick question..actually a couple.

Frenchmans is rough?

Also, i am planning on going to Tips for some live music Satuday night..any advise or secrets I should know?

Also, quick questions..lunch Friday would you do the Scotch House or Dooky Chase..cant decide between the two and we are only going to be able to do the one.

Edited by plenzmd1

Kirby, thx for the rundown. The live music tip for Friday sounds good

Quick question..actually a couple.

Frenchmans is rough?

Also, i am planning on going to Tips for some live music Satuday night..any advise or secrets I should know?

Also, quick questions..lunch Friday would you do the Scotch House or Dooky Chase..cant decide between the two and we are only going to be able to do the one.

The area around Frenchman can be rough but it is ground zero for Halloween so it should be okay. Tips is cool.

Willie Maes Scotch House is great!! The fried chicken is as op as advertised. I have never eaten at Dooky Chase's because the line was long. Both have good reputations. They are almost next door to one another.

Fully agree on Dragos, Deanos, Antoines and the World War 11 museum (gotta see the movie).

But no mention of a poboy at Mothers?

Naw, I wouldn't have Mothers in my top 10. Its okay but there are a bunch of po boy shops that i like more. Check out Crabby Jacks if you want to cab it for a po boy. That's the guy that owns Jacques-Imos (another NOLA favorite)

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In case anybody is wondering about late-October weather in New Orleans:

http://www.experienceneworleans.com/news/new-orleans/what-to-wear-in-new-orleans-the.html

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/New+Orleans+LA+USLA0338:1:US - currently looks like low 70s and sunny for the weekend.

Can we get a link or a couple links of the parties/festivities coming up next weekend? Kirby, a couple of yours come up as bogus links. I'm not saying they are, I'm sure they are legit festivities, but the links come up as inadequate when I input them. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend!!!! FIRED UP!!!

Can we get a link or a couple links of the parties/festivities coming up next weekend? Kirby, a couple of yours come up as bogus links. I'm not saying they are, I'm sure they are legit festivities, but the links come up as inadequate when I input them. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend!!!! FIRED UP!!!

Try this: https://www.buffalobayoubash.eventbrite.com/. It should be working because there are a few hundred tickets sold.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Everbrite link has a wildcard cert *.domain.com so some browsers choke on that.

That is the $40 Party.

Pinto Kenny told us about a different party I post the flyer he sent here.

Its on like a Mofo.

BTW THAT IS AN AWESEOM QUOTE BY BRIAN COX. I never saw that before. Its funny because its true.

Here is the French Quarter party info. Attachments don't seem to be cooperating. Sorry...No photos or pretty stuff. If you want to see the actual flyer, go to Facebook at DFW Bills Backers:

Traveling BILLS BACKERS, Kenny & friends RED PINTO group, BILLS MAFIA and all others who have partied with us before have been waiting for final details...so here we go (every BILLS FAN is welcome - please spread the word):

FRENCH QUARTER party base for FRI AND SAT will be at THE SWAMP, 516 Bourbon. A 2 story bar with a wraparound balcony for Bills Fans (bring beads to throw). All are welcome any time Friday and Saturday day and night. No cover. Pay for drinks and food as you go. Live band at night. www.bourbon-swamp.com

SUNDAY MORNING TAILGATE: The Saints stadium is downtown with minimal parking, so most fans tailgate in bars or city lots. To get a HUGE Bills fan tailgate in one place, we found THE BEACH ON BOURBON, 227 Bourbon.

No cover reasonable drink prices. It's really big inside and they've done lots of football tailgates. www.beachonbourbon.com

They are opening for us at 8:00am so get there early to fill it with Bills fans before the Saints fans arrive!!

The Beach doesn't do food, but the Cafe Beignet is just down the street and there's a chicken place right next door with NOLA food and great wings. You CAN bring purchased food into The Beach! You can walk or take the trolly to the stadium from here.

AND IF ALL THIS EXCITEMENT ISN'T ENOUGH...THERE'S MORE!

This is the weekend for the Boo Krewe Official New Orleans Halloween Parade. It starts on Saturday at 6:30pm in the FRENCH QUARTER. Feel free to get crazy...dress in costumes/masks or go dressed as Bills Fans. Details and parade route at: www.kreweofboo.com

Native advice: Share a cab or a shuttle from/to the airport. FQ parking is expensive.

You can walk or trolley to all parties and the game.

Questions? Call Pinto Kenny at 585-764-0268 or Aussie Diane at 214-783-2372

Edited by aussiew

I'll second everything Kirby said but don't worry going down to Frenchman - it's crowded and will have 10 clubs with New Orleans bands in a 3 block stretch, a new open air arts market open, street performers and restaurants. Just don't wonder off down the residential streets and you'll have a ball.

Saturday has john boutte at DBA @ 8 and big Sam at blue Nile @ 10. Opposite ends of the spectrum but would give a great sampling of New Orleans artists at 2 clubs about a block apart- both very nice. DBA has a great beer selection and johns pretty laid back while big Sam is funky New Orleans brass

(And skip Mothers - you'll pay more for less and wait in line- serios is good and covered in lsu stuff which is cool, but Johnny's is a little better for po boys in the quarter)

Edited by NoSaint

I'll second everything Kirby said but don't worry going down to Frenchman - it's crowded and will have 10 clubs with New Orleans bands in a 3 block stretch, a new open air arts market open, street performers and restaurants. Just don't wonder off down the residential streets and you'll have a ball.

Saturday has john boutte at DBA @ 8 and big Sam at blue Nile @ 10. Opposite ends of the spectrum but would give a great sampling of New Orleans artists at 2 clubs about a block apart- both very nice. DBA has a great beer selection and johns pretty laid back while big Sam is funky New Orleans brass

(And skip Mothers - you'll pay more for less and wait in line- serios is good and covered in lsu stuff which is cool, but Johnny's is a little better for po boys in the quarter)

I forgot about Johnny's!! Also, with it being Halloween Frenchman will be the place to be Saturday Night. Whenever certain events take place in New Orleans there is a certain place that you have to be to partake in the party. Despite popular belief it is not everywhere (except for Mardi Gras); it is in one location at a time. Frenchman is ground zero for Halloween in NOLA.

Get out and explore (especially if you have never been here). When I moved here I had only spent about 12 hours here (on my interview) and knew no one. Now it has become home and one of (if not the) most unique cities in the world (certainly in the US). New Orleans has its own culture, cuisine, music scene and just overall approach to life. I really think that you guys will fall in love with this place.

< 73 hours til I land. But who's counting :)

I a

I'm pregaming now

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Saint, Thx for the info.

Now a question for both Saint and Kirby

..I was tooling around and see Kermit Ruffins is playing Blue Nile starting Friday starting at 6?

I had read he is playing earlier gigs now...but 6. Do you think he really comes on at 6? I would love to see him play, but we have dinner at 8... Just wondering if you think that doable

http://frenchmenstreetlive.com/

Saint, Thx for the info.

Now a question for both Saint and Kirby

..I was tooling around and see Kermit Ruffins is playing Blue Nile starting Friday starting at 6?

I had read he is playing earlier gigs now...but 6. Do you think he really comes on at 6? I would love to see him play, but we have dinner at 8... Just wondering if you think that doable

I haven't been to his blue Nile gigs lately- he likely won't be tooooo much behind schedule as there's likely a late show behind him.

Where's dinner?

(For others -- Kermit's a great one and at 9 glen David Andrews plays at 3 muses on that block (weekly residency and I'm 90% sure he's in town right now) - great brass artist, the Andrews family is serious business down here and behind trombone shorty he might be the best entertainer of them, closes out the gospel tent at jazz fest, and has a grammy with his former brass band)

Edited by NoSaint

Would love too see Trombone Shorty, but does not look like he is playing. Would also love too see Boutee, but again staring at 8 is just brutal .

Friday we are at Tableau in the Quarter, and Saturday Couchon. I would give up Tableau to see Ruffins, just not sure the other folks I am traveling with would be a ok with it.

Also, I might be a bit biased as the one time I was at Commanders Palace I did not love it.

Have either you guys been to Tableau yet?

Quick edit, while googling GDA, this came up. Count me in until my bike tour starts!

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/events/1331603323731/red-bull-street-kings

I do not know why links never work in this thread, but google Red Bull Street Kings 2013... Based on the video from last year, may even be some Indians in full costume!

Edited by plenzmd1

Would love too see Trombone Shorty, but does not look like he is playing. Would also love too see Boutee, but again staring at 8 is just brutal .

Friday we are at Tableau in the Quarter, and Saturday Couchon. I would give up Tableau to see Ruffins, just not sure the other folks I am traveling with would be a ok with it.

Also, I might be a bit biased as the one time I was at Commanders Palace I did not love it.

Quick edit, while googling GDA, this came up. Count me in until my bike tour starts!

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/events/1331603323731/red-bull-street-kings

I do not know why links never work in this thread, but google Red Bull Street Kings 2013... Based on the video from last year, may even be some Indians in full costume!

i didnt realize that was this weekend - couldve sworn it was last or i wouldve mentioned it.

havent done tableau but its a dickie brennan restaurant and he does really well. good location, generally positive reviews. pretty new so probably just starting to hit their stride and figure some things out but i wouldnt steer you away from it at all.

very possible. its a bit of a hectic weekend playing tour guide and the game and all that so im not 100% but its now pretty high on my "what do you guys think about checking this out" list for the weekend.

so whats with the quotes and links, and generally all things IT not working in this thread?

Edited by NoSaint

I noticed that No Saint referenced Glen David Andrews. He is AMAZING!!! He was the best act at Jazzfest 2 or 3 years ago and has CRAZy energy. I believe that he is Trombone Shorty's brother or cousin (can't remember which). If you can fit this into your schedule I promise that when you look back at the weekend it will be one of the best things that you did.

http://www.redbull.c...ll-street-kings

Never done Tableau but Cochon is really good. It is in the top 101 restaurants in America (it was actually #14). I had blackened redfish last time that I was there and it was fantastic.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I noticed that No Saint referenced Glen David Andrews. He is AMAZING!!! He was the best act at Jazzfest 2 or 3 years ago and has CRAZy energy. I believe that he is Trombone Shorty's brother or cousin (can't remember which). If you can fit this into your schedule I promise that when you look back at the weekend it will be one of the best things that you did.

yes - he does 3 muses every friday and DBA every monday down on frenchman street. the monday one is known to get some good musicians sitting in with him from time to time too (everyone from trombone shorty, to mumford and sons and a TON of various local brass band members have played with him at DBA this year)

Edited by NoSaint

yes - he does 3 muses every friday and DBA every monday down on frenchman street. the monday one is known to get some good musicians sitting in with him from time to time too (everyone from trombone shorty, to mumford and sons and a TON of various local brass band members have played with him at DBA this year)

I will be there Friday...what a NO night that would be...A quick Kermit set for Happy Hour, dinner at a good restaurant, then see another great musician after dinner.

And, after all that drinking, maybe my wife would actually find me attractive!

should be very reliable - this time of year is just fantastic in the city. air is about as crisp as it will ever be. should be a beautiful weekend.

Shorts and tee shirts during the day and at night ok? Or does it get too chilly at night? I don't mind being a little chilly....especially after 15 Jameson's

Shorts and tee shirts during the day and at night ok? Or does it get too chilly at night? I don't mind being a little chilly....especially after 15 Jameson's

I tend to be fine with that. People around here are brushing the dust off their parkas and gloves, but generally 60 (give or take a few degrees) isn't bad. I know it's supposed to get a few degrees cooler than we've seen this weekend so a pair of jeans probably wouldn't hurt.

I tend to be fine with that. People around here are brushing the dust off their parkas and gloves, but generally 60 (give or take a few degrees) isn't bad. I know it's supposed to get a few degrees cooler than we've seen this weekend so a pair of jeans probably wouldn't hurt.

Considering I'm walking around up here in 40 degree rain without a coat, I think I'll be ok :)