Bills In New Orleans 2013

aussiew

I'll second everything Kirby said but don't worry going down to Frenchman - it's crowded and will have 10 clubs with New Orleans bands in a 3 block stretch, a new open air arts market open, street performers and restaurants. Just don't wonder off down the residential streets and you'll have a ball.

Saturday has john boutte at DBA @ 8 and big Sam at blue Nile @ 10. Opposite ends of the spectrum but would give a great sampling of New Orleans artists at 2 clubs about a block apart- both very nice. DBA has a great beer selection and johns pretty laid back while big Sam is funky New Orleans brass

(And skip Mothers - you'll pay more for less and wait in line- serios is good and covered in lsu stuff which is cool, but Johnny's is a little better for po boys in the quarter)

http://frenchmenstreetlive.com/

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint, Thx for the info.

Now a question for both Saint and Kirby

..I was tooling around and see Kermit Ruffins is playing Blue Nile starting Friday starting at 6?

I had read he is playing earlier gigs now...but 6. Do you think he really comes on at 6? I would love to see him play, but we have dinner at 8... Just wondering if you think that doable

I haven't been to his blue Nile gigs lately- he likely won't be tooooo much behind schedule as there's likely a late show behind him.

Where's dinner?

(For others -- Kermit's a great one and at 9 glen David Andrews plays at 3 muses on that block (weekly residency and I'm 90% sure he's in town right now) - great brass artist, the Andrews family is serious business down here and behind trombone shorty he might be the best entertainer of them, closes out the gospel tent at jazz fest, and has a grammy with his former brass band)

Edited by NoSaint

Would love too see Trombone Shorty, but does not look like he is playing. Would also love too see Boutee, but again staring at 8 is just brutal .

Friday we are at Tableau in the Quarter, and Saturday Couchon. I would give up Tableau to see Ruffins, just not sure the other folks I am traveling with would be a ok with it.

Also, I might be a bit biased as the one time I was at Commanders Palace I did not love it.

Have either you guys been to Tableau yet?

Quick edit, while googling GDA, this came up. Count me in until my bike tour starts!

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/events/1331603323731/red-bull-street-kings

I do not know why links never work in this thread, but google Red Bull Street Kings 2013... Based on the video from last year, may even be some Indians in full costume!

Edited by plenzmd1

Would love too see Trombone Shorty, but does not look like he is playing. Would also love too see Boutee, but again staring at 8 is just brutal .

Friday we are at Tableau in the Quarter, and Saturday Couchon. I would give up Tableau to see Ruffins, just not sure the other folks I am traveling with would be a ok with it.

Also, I might be a bit biased as the one time I was at Commanders Palace I did not love it.

Quick edit, while googling GDA, this came up. Count me in until my bike tour starts!

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/events/1331603323731/red-bull-street-kings

I do not know why links never work in this thread, but google Red Bull Street Kings 2013... Based on the video from last year, may even be some Indians in full costume!

i didnt realize that was this weekend - couldve sworn it was last or i wouldve mentioned it.

havent done tableau but its a dickie brennan restaurant and he does really well. good location, generally positive reviews. pretty new so probably just starting to hit their stride and figure some things out but i wouldnt steer you away from it at all.

very possible. its a bit of a hectic weekend playing tour guide and the game and all that so im not 100% but its now pretty high on my "what do you guys think about checking this out" list for the weekend.

so whats with the quotes and links, and generally all things IT not working in this thread?

Edited by NoSaint

I noticed that No Saint referenced Glen David Andrews. He is AMAZING!!! He was the best act at Jazzfest 2 or 3 years ago and has CRAZy energy. I believe that he is Trombone Shorty's brother or cousin (can't remember which). If you can fit this into your schedule I promise that when you look back at the weekend it will be one of the best things that you did.

http://www.redbull.c...ll-street-kings

Never done Tableau but Cochon is really good. It is in the top 101 restaurants in America (it was actually #14). I had blackened redfish last time that I was there and it was fantastic.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I noticed that No Saint referenced Glen David Andrews. He is AMAZING!!! He was the best act at Jazzfest 2 or 3 years ago and has CRAZy energy. I believe that he is Trombone Shorty's brother or cousin (can't remember which). If you can fit this into your schedule I promise that when you look back at the weekend it will be one of the best things that you did.

yes - he does 3 muses every friday and DBA every monday down on frenchman street. the monday one is known to get some good musicians sitting in with him from time to time too (everyone from trombone shorty, to mumford and sons and a TON of various local brass band members have played with him at DBA this year)

Edited by NoSaint

yes - he does 3 muses every friday and DBA every monday down on frenchman street. the monday one is known to get some good musicians sitting in with him from time to time too (everyone from trombone shorty, to mumford and sons and a TON of various local brass band members have played with him at DBA this year)

I will be there Friday...what a NO night that would be...A quick Kermit set for Happy Hour, dinner at a good restaurant, then see another great musician after dinner.

And, after all that drinking, maybe my wife would actually find me attractive!

should be very reliable - this time of year is just fantastic in the city. air is about as crisp as it will ever be. should be a beautiful weekend.

Shorts and tee shirts during the day and at night ok? Or does it get too chilly at night? I don't mind being a little chilly....especially after 15 Jameson's

Shorts and tee shirts during the day and at night ok? Or does it get too chilly at night? I don't mind being a little chilly....especially after 15 Jameson's

I tend to be fine with that. People around here are brushing the dust off their parkas and gloves, but generally 60 (give or take a few degrees) isn't bad. I know it's supposed to get a few degrees cooler than we've seen this weekend so a pair of jeans probably wouldn't hurt.

I tend to be fine with that. People around here are brushing the dust off their parkas and gloves, but generally 60 (give or take a few degrees) isn't bad. I know it's supposed to get a few degrees cooler than we've seen this weekend so a pair of jeans probably wouldn't hurt.

Considering I'm walking around up here in 40 degree rain without a coat, I think I'll be ok :)