on Dan Patrick this morning A. Smith talk, G. Smith talk

The 49ers were singing Hallelujah when Smith got hurt. They had their opening to make the change and did. Still got beat up a little over it but clearly they didn't make that decision based on a game or two with Colin. They had to have been thinking about that for a while. Look at Smith's numbers compared to Fitz's, the only thing he has over him is interceptions. If you don't like Fitz you would have disdain for Smith.

1/2 the reason Fitz has to go is becuase he is an interception waiting to happen.

I think ASmith would be a nice gap for a year or two so the Bills wouldn't have to reach this year in an awful draft class of QB's.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many great QBs were slower than Molasses. 40 times don't mean anything for a pocket passer. (not saying Nassib is any good, simply that I would not immediately discount him because he is slow. Joe Flacco just won a Superbowl and is the highest paid QB in the league and he would not outrun a glacier).

Joe Flacco (2008 NFL Combine) - 4.84

That's actually a passable number for an NFL QB especially one who's so tall with long arms and legs which buys you time.

Now the question should be whether Nassib or Barkley could outrun a glacier. Unfortunately, NFL teams don't put glaciers on their defense.

So Dan was about to have Florio on and said there's behind the scene drama goin down. KC paid SF the 2 draft picks because Buffalo wanted Alex Smith Dan said The Bills drove that price up and he's also hearing Barkeley to AZ and Smith to the Bills. Anyone else hear that today?

Very interesting...I have to say that when I first heard the rumors about Smith's name coming up in the Bills Head Coaching interviews I immediately thought they were true...After all I think everyone in the Bills FO knows quite well that we have to upgrade the QB situation...The Bills saw 1st hand last year what Smith could do...I mean...He threw for 303 yds vs the Bills with 3 TD's and no INT's in only 24 attempts...His QB Rating for that game was 156.3...So the idea that The Bills would be highly interested in Smith is no surprise whatsoever...The fact that they were likely willing to give up their 2nd this year then some is a bit of a concern though...Not sure how I feel about that...I do feel Smith is a major upgrade from Fitz though... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? And did he say specifically Barkley going to AZ? I don't care as much about Alex Smith because its over with, but Barkley to AZ interests me. The only thing I see here is a youtube clip Dan posted on twitter with Florio where they say that Fitz is done,Tavaris is under contract, and Matt Moore is an intriguing option for Buffalo. Was there something else I'm missing? I really want to believe this Barkley to AZ talk.

So Dan was about to have Florio on and said there's behind the scene drama goin down. KC paid SF the 2 draft picks because Buffalo wanted Alex Smith Dan said The Bills drove that price up and he's also hearing Barkeley to AZ and Smith to the Bills. Anyone else hear that today?

Joe Flacco (2008 NFL Combine) - 4.84

That's actually a passable number for an NFL QB especially one who's so tall with long arms and legs which buys you time.

Now the question should be whether Nassib or Barkley could outrun a glacier. Unfortunately, NFL teams don't put glaciers on their defense.

Nassib can outrun Tom Brady (5.06 to 5.28 in the 40).

1/2 the reason Fitz has to go is becuase he is an interception waiting to happen.

I think ASmith would be a nice gap for a year or two so the Bills wouldn't have to reach this year in an awful draft class of QB's.

This is funny on many levels. Alex Smith was considered the best of a bad draft class for QBs. The next QB to be drafted went 23 spots later, some scrub named Aaron Rodgers.

Alex Smith has never threw more than 18 tds in a season. I'd rather take my chances with a high 2nd and a potential 2nd next year and hope that we can draft a Qb that is better than Smith. Smith is a slightly better Fitz.

right, lets get another average fitz style can't lead a team qb.............i think you nailed it though it is my fault the bills continue to stink..........fans like me.

guess you can conveniently forget all of the young qb's that are littered throughout the playoffs lately?

can you make up some more stuff to add to your post? Geno sure struggles with his 70 plus percent completion percentage. :wallbash: :wallbash:

agree to disagree sir.........enjoy your alex smith's of the world. guy who lost his job to another YOUNG qb.

He didn't lose his job, they went with the shiny new toy. Alex had his team in the superbowl last year if not for an rtard on special teams.

70% completion %? Did you see why its 70%. Go back and look at how many of his passes are within 5 yards of the LOS or BEHIND it. So you are saying you want to draft Trent Edwards aka 'Captain Checkdown' II?

Mayock broke this guy down as the most frustrating guy in the Draft. Wide open TD's missed all year long.

Yeah if getting a guy who can in the NFL lead the QB rankings, get his team to the conference championship and only toss 10 INTS's in 2 years is a bad thing sign me up.

Only Bills fans would want to lose out on a guy that in the last couple of years has turned the corner and had success vs. a guy who has done nothing in the NFL with very serious consistancy issues.

And Many wonder why the Bills continue to stink?

Because of the fans?

He didn't lose his job, they went with the shiny new toy. Alex had his team in the superbowl last year if not for an rtard on special teams.

70% completion %? Did you see why its 70%. Go back and look at how many of his passes are within 5 yards of the LOS or BEHIND it. So you are saying you want to draft Trent Edwards aka 'Captain Checkdown' II?

Mayock broke this guy down as the most frustrating guy in the Draft. Wide open TD's missed all year long.

Yeah if getting a guy who can in the NFL lead the QB rankings, get his team to the conference championship and only toss 10 INTS's in 2 years is a bad thing sign me up.

1) The use of the retard always makes someone's point stronger.

2) The 49ers' defense, STs, and running game were the main reasons for the 49ers success. Smith's 17 tds passes hardly were the reason.

3) Alex Smith was a giant bust for his first 7 seasons so the fact you can dismiss any QB in this draft is completely silly.

I still dont want Smith. I just dont think he is very good.

I'll be interested to see how many QBs go before the Bills pick. I could see anywhere from none to 3.

I read in an article quoting some NFL scout that its believe in NFL circle that the Bills are targeting Nassib, and are hoping to get him in the 2nd (thats an obvious assumption, who knows if its warranted). But the scout went on to say that teams know that if their team wants Nassib, they need to leapfrog Buffalo to get in front of them, and he said teams are preparring to do that.

Basically, I dont think there will be any QBs left by the time our 2nd round pick comes along

Ive read other people posting the same thing. If Barkley or Smith are available at the 8th pick and the Bills pass the next spot barring a trade would be Houston at 27. This then leads to the 2nd rd with Philly, Jax, and possibly Ariz as possible teams that could take a QB. I think the Bills will have an opportunity to draft Wilson, Nassib, Bray, and maybe Glennon in the 2nd.

Nassib can outrun Tom Brady (5.06 to 5.28 in the 40).

I think it's safe to say that the possibility of Ryan Nassib squeaking out a win in a 40 yard dash between the two is the only thing he's better at than Tom Brady.

I also think it's safe to say that hearing rumors of the Bills wanting Nassib is a sure sign that they don't want him.

Just say i kellytoreed83 do not like Geno.....that would make this much simpler. to recap Geno's career he has 98tds against 21 Int's. If he is missing wide open WR's left and right then it's pretty amazing he amassed 98 Td's somehow. I have watched him a ton he is pretty decent FWIW. The Trent/Geno comparison makes zero sense ftr.

You take your "safe" pick and give up 2 2nd rounders for mediocrity. I will go all in on the boom or bust Geno or Barkley ftr.

have you even watched WVU play? Geno's upside is off the charts, alex smif not so much.

chalk it up to agree to disagree here between you and I. and to quote big lebowski.....thats just like your opinion man.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

right, lets get another average fitz style can't lead a team qb.............i think you nailed it though it is my fault the bills continue to stink..........fans like me.

guess you can conveniently forget all of the young qb's that are littered throughout the playoffs lately?

can you make up some more stuff to add to your post? Geno sure struggles with his 70 plus percent completion percentage. :wallbash: :wallbash:

agree to disagree sir.........enjoy your alex smith's of the world. guy who lost his job to another YOUNG qb.

+1

The 49ers were singing Hallelujah when Smith got hurt. They had their opening to make the change and did. Still got beat up a little over it but clearly they didn't make that decision based on a game or two with Colin. They had to have been thinking about that for a while. Look at Smith's numbers compared to Fitz's, the only thing he has over him is interceptions. If you don't like Fitz you would have disdain for Smith.

well, and wins... and completion %. the last 2 years, Smith was 19-5, 64%, with 30 TD's and 10 INT. that's waaaaaaayyyy better than Fitz. i really don't care about their numbers in 2007.

his playoff games (he looked very good) and this year against us were pretty convincing. i think it was obvious why one was a #1 overall pick and the other a 7th rounder. they did not look equal.

Did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? And did he say specifically Barkley going to AZ? I don't care as much about Alex Smith because its over with, but Barkley to AZ interests me. The only thing I see here is a youtube clip Dan posted on twitter with Florio where they say that Fitz is done,Tavaris is under contract, and Matt Moore is an intriguing option for Buffalo. Was there something else I'm missing? I really want to believe this Barkley to AZ talk.

https://twitter.com/...980899494645761

https://twitter.com/...980899494645761

thanks for the link. There you guys go Florio says he thinks Fitz gets cut...phew one can only hope.

I also think it's safe to say that hearing rumors of the Bills wanting Nassib is a sure sign that they don't want him.

yep. Rumors of the Bills interest in Spiller and Cordy Glenn were just draft smokescreens too.

Edited by Maddog69

Gap nothing, wait till you see what he costs.

Me thinx it's utter bs. Doesn't make sense on two fronts.

1- A team with a new coach and new mgt. structure is gonna give up draft pix with all the holes to fill that they have?

2-adding smith puts the salary cap number at $17m at qb not counting Jax, Corp, and any other addition... and that's whether they keep Fitz this season or not.

The only possible reason for contact between the two teams was probably only to blow smoke and shake Fitz up... either to be put him on notice or rework his contract.