Alternate view on the draft

Santana

As crazy as it might seem, I truly believe the Bills will go in the direction of drafting a safety in the first round. Realistically it's a position that is being somewhat overlooked and I think it's because there's so many good lineman and LB's. The first safety is Kenny Vaccaro, for his career he has 231 Tot Tak, 5 ints, 24 Pass Def, 2 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles. Here's a highlight reel that i've found. He's rated the top safety on a lot of guys boards.

youtube.com/watch?v=0W2vFYz-1pE

The second safety which is my favorite is Matt Elam. He's a very physical safety who loves to blow up the ball carrier and he's good around the line of scrimmage. He's not a huge guy about 5'10''/205lbs but he's a beast. He played one less year than Vaccaro but his numbers in college were 176 Tot Tak, 6 Ints, 19 Pass Def, 3 Forced fumbles and 5 sacks. Elam is used to playing against the best players in the country being in the SEC so I put a lot of value on that too. Here's some of Elam's highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE

All of the stats were provided by www.Sports-Reference.com

Thanks for the read, let me know what you guys think.

GO BILLS!!!

As crazy as it might seem, I truly believe the Bills will go in the direction of drafting a safety in the first round. Realistically it's a position that is being somewhat overlooked and I think it's because there's so many good lineman and LB's. The first safety is Kenny Vaccaro, for his career he has 231 Tot Tak, 5 ints, 24 Pass Def, 2 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles. Here's a highlight reel that i've found. He's rated the top safety on a lot of guys boards.

The second safety which is my favorite is Matt Elam. He's a very physical safety who loves to blow up the ball carrier and he's good around the line of scrimmage. He's not a huge guy about 5'10''/205lbs but he's a beast. He played one less year than Vaccaro but his numbers in college were 176 Tot Tak, 6 Ints, 19 Pass Def, 3 Forced fumbles and 5 sacks. Elam is used to playing against the best players in the country being in the SEC so I put a lot of value on that too. Here's some of Elam's highlights

GO BILLS!!!

A tenth DB with their first pick in the last 24 drafts? It's so crazy, it just might work. You people come up with some great ideas!

I have watched a number of FL games the last few years and every time there is a big play made, Elam was the one making it. He is a total ball hawk, just a pure play maker. INTS fumbles sacks, coming out of nowhere to blow up the ballcariier. Like watching Ed Reed or Polumalo just dominate an entire game.

He hasn't gotten any media press, I was really hoping he lasted until our second round pick.

I have watched a number of FL games the last few years and every time there is a big play made, Elam was the one making it. He is a total ball hawk, just a pure play maker. INTS fumbles sacks, coming out of nowhere to blow up the ballcariier. Like watching Ed Reed or Polumalo just dominate an entire game.

He hasn't gotten any media press, I was really hoping he lasted until our second round pick.

No way

Since it's a passing league, I would think if we were to grab a safety it would not be to blow up a ball carrier at the line of scrimmage, but to pick off a pass intent for a TE running thru the middle or if not intercept it break it up. Given that in the new NFL a defensive person is restricted from smacking a receiver with any force, I want to guy who can cover the field and read the QB. Just my opinion.

No way

IDK man, I haven't seen any board where he is the highest rated safety, he has been second or even third in some. He could easily be the 2nd or third safety off the board when you consider his height.

How many safeties usually go in the 1st round? He could last.

Dude. I would wear two Paper bags on my head, Mark Kelso style if the Bills drafted a Safety at #8 overall, given the more pressing needs on this team.

:bag: :sick:

:bag:

I hope you're right, but we currently have 1 safety. Retaining Byrd should be a forgive conclusion, but you never know. Searcy, while young with upside, is one of the worst starters on our team. That makes safety a need IMO. At number 8? I hope not, but reports were that we wanted mark Barron last season. We'll see. One thing I know, anything can happen with this team.

Dude. I would wear two Paper bags on my head, Mark Kelso style if the Bills drafted a Safety at #8 overall, given the more pressing needs on this team.

:bag::sick:

:bag:

My head would explode!

30 DB's drafted over the last 20 years and where has it gotten this team? Vs 4 QB's drafted in that time, and only one #1 draft pick used on a QB. This philosophy needs to reverse big time, 30 QB's drafted in the next 20 years until they find that elusive franchise guy!

Safety may be a minor need, but this team has more pressing needs then to keep drafting DB's year in and year out because they refuse to step up and retain the players they drafted in the first place.

Edited by FeartheLosing

It's only been 1 in the last 5 though. :beer:

McKelvin, Whitner, and Gilmore. That would be 3 in the last 8 drafts.

GO BILLS!!!

We had a safety like him. His name was Donte Whitner.

McKelvin, Whitner, and Gilmore. That would be 3 in the last 8 drafts.

Yeah.....but it was really 1 in the last 5....and 2 in the preceding 3.

That means we are learning from history and won't be drafting a DB in the 1st this year as that would make 2 in 2 years.....which would be going backwards......and that isn't going to happen. It's not I tell you....it can't....please don't let that happen. :cry:

Edited by Dibs

Since it's a passing league, I would think if we were to grab a safety it would not be to blow up a ball carrier at the line of scrimmage, but to pick off a pass intent for a TE running thru the middle or if not intercept it break it up.

Nix is on record as saying you draft cornerbacks and if necessary move them to safety. This is similar to when he said you draft tackles and if necessary move them to guard.

On the other hand, the Bills did draft Searcy who seems to be more of a run-support type safety.

Yeah.....but it was really 1 in the last 5....and 2 in the preceding 3.

That means we are learning from history and won't be drafting a DB in the 1st this year as that would make 2 in 2 years.....which would be going backwards......and that isn't going to happen. It's not I tell you....it can't....please don't let that happen. :cry:

(Dibs breaks down sobbing)

Whitner can't hold Elams' jock though. Similar size but Elam is a monster like I haven't seen in a long time. Incredible fire in his belly. But not @ #8

Elam is 100% STUD. That ain't no secret. Guy also has passion for the game. However, he's a reach for us at #8... We could go for DJ Swearinger, who's also a STUD FS, but one that should be available in later rounds.

Edited by #34fan

Nix is on record as saying you draft cornerbacks and if necessary move them to safety. This is similar to when he said you draft tackles and if necessary move them to guard.

CB Aaron Williams wouldn't even make a good safety...

Nix did draft a guard and moved him to LT. Glenn is an average LT, he would be an above average RT, and an all pro guard.

This year there are 3 LOT's that should go in the top 10, and if any are there at the 8 spot Nix should draft one, and make that line suitable for a new QB. Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson

Anything but another DB with that #8, a LB, a WR, a QB

Edited by FeartheLosing