With the Chiefs out, what other teams above us may go QB?

rayray808

Jax might very well be in play for a QB.

Caldwell knows QB's. IF he thinks one of the guys is worth the pick he will take him. He is a product of watching what a good QB can do from Indy to Atl.

Caldwell also scouts QBs very well, so i will be interested to see what he does, it will show what he thinks about the QB class to me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, his stats were good in the Big East, but stats can be deceiving:

Geno Smith: 4200yds, 72% completions, 42 TDs, 6 INTs

Colt McCoy 2008: 3900 yds, 77% completions, 34 TDs, 8 INTs

Tim Tebow career: 66% completions, 88 TDs, 16 INTs

I am not saying that Geno Smith will be good or bad, only that stats can lie. I'll also say that Andy Reid clearly liked Alex Smith better than Geno Smith.

I'm really hating this narrative, not because I'm a Geno fan (I am) - but because it's obvious Reid wants to win now and not wait on a rookie QB. With the pieces they have, it makes sense. The Bills are in a different place. I want the playoffs as badly as anyone else does, but I also want sustained success. If that means taking a QB they can grow with who is younger and has a higher ceiling, that's fine by me. Reid took what he needed for now, and this hardly shuts the door on their drafting another prospect.

BTW I still kind of like McCoy but he is on the smallish side for the NFL. Tebow's throwing motion is well-enough documented. Geno doesn't really have the same marks on him.

Here is a sobering thought. WIth this trade, 49ers will have 13 draft picks and possibly more with compensatory picks. They are under the cap. This can be a draft which will establish them as the team of the decade in the NFC. They can make a play for Revis. good trade for both teams. Now the Bills need to get a QB and get stout up the middle on defense. Smith? Barkley? Don't know but they will get a QB.

I think at some point this Franchise is going to have to take a "risk" and draft a damn QB... can't wait any longer.

You can say this year's class is weak but what happens when next year there are 2 studs and the Bills are picking 10th-13th.... your still not going to land one of them... and be another year behind.

Unless they plan on tanking this year, I would pull the trigger on one of these guys.

I wouldnt be surprised if they "plan" on tanking this year. They've cut veteran experience in positions of need (safety, line backer, wide receiver). I'm sure they wont intentionally tank but they're getting rid of average talent and replacing it with unknown talent.. thats not a recipe for an increase in wins.

If QB guru Andy Reid thinks that he was better of trading a high 2nd round pick plus a pick next year for Alex Smith, I think that says a LOT about how little he thinks of all the QBs in this draft. With the 1st overall pick he could have had his choice of all of them. If he wanted to wait until the 2nd, I think he would have still had 1st shot in round 2.

More evidence that the Bills should stay away from any of these guys in round 1 & 2.

I disagree...Reed was also pretty darn good at getting production out of QB's not Drafted in the 1st Round...He obviously likes Smith and feels comfortable bringing him in to run his version of the West Coast...I don't see that as being a knock on this QB class whatsoever...We all know there is no Andrew Luck in this Draft...But saying the Bills should stay away from a QB in the 1st two Rounds is ridiculous...There is plenty of QB talent worthy of a 2nd Round Pick in this Draft...

And lastly...Who the fug really cares what Andy Reed may or may not think about this QB class? It matters more what Marrone and Hackett think...It's not like Andy Reed has a line of Pro Bowl QB's a mile long in his recent past...He's good with QB's, don't get me wrong...But I would not call him a guru...He's more of a Buddha... ;)

No way the Eagles draft a QB after picking up Dixon, keeping Foles and signing Vick to a 1 year contract. Unless they trade Vick, I don't see it happening.

I see the Cardinals drafting Barkley and I can see Geno falling to us which would be a darn shame because he's gonna be a bust. Given the Bills 1st round track record, that sounds about right.

I'm really hating this narrative, not because I'm a Geno fan (I am) - but because it's obvious Reid wants to win now and not wait on a rookie QB. With the pieces they have, it makes sense. The Bills are in a different place. I want the playoffs as badly as anyone else does, but I also want sustained success. If that means taking a QB they can grow with who is younger and has a higher ceiling, that's fine by me. Reid took what he needed for now, and this hardly shuts the door on their drafting another prospect.

I respectfully disagree with your point- or at least question how you came to know that "it's obvious that Reid wants to win now and not wait on a rookie QB". How do you know that is the case? How do you know that he didn't look at the draft class and determine that (he doesn't think) that there are any future good starting QBs in there? In fairness, I don't know that your guess isn't right and mine wrong.

I also don't understand why you would say that "With the pieces they (Chiefs) have, it makes sense (to try to win now and take a lesser established vet over a supposedly higher potential rookie). The Bills are in a different place."

If you accept that the Fitzpatrick was no better or worse than Cassel, then on balance the Bills were a better team than KC last year (based on W-L record). How would you conclude that KC is ready to win now with a veteran QB that is likely above average, but not great? Why would you think that Andy Reid in his first year with KC - a team with the worst record in the league - wouldn't have the same luxury of "waiting on a rookie QB" that Doug Marrone will be afforded? I'd argue that Reid's track record would give him even more slack to live with growing pains from a young QB than the unproven Marrone.

If QB guru Andy Reid thinks that he was better of trading a high 2nd round pick plus a pick next year for Alex Smith, I think that says a LOT about how little he thinks of all the QBs in this draft. With the 1st overall pick he could have had his choice of all of them. If he wanted to wait until the 2nd, I think he would have still had 1st shot in round 2.

More evidence that the Bills should stay away from any of these guys in round 1 & 2.

BINGO!!!

I disagree...Reed was also pretty darn good at getting production out of QB's not Drafted in the 1st Round...He obviously likes Smith and feels comfortable bringing him in to run his version of the West Coast...I don't see that as being a knock on this QB class whatsoever...We all know there is no Andrew Luck in this Draft...But saying the Bills should stay away from a QB in the 1st two Rounds is ridiculous...There is plenty of QB talent worthy of a 2nd Round Pick in this Draft...

And lastly...Who the fug really cares what Andy Reed may or may not think about this QB class? It matters more what Marrone and Hackett think...It's not like Andy Reed has a line of Pro Bowl QB's a mile long in his recent past...He's good with QB's, don't get me wrong...But I would not call him a guru...He's more of a Buddha... ;)

Fair point and I agree that I don't know, either. However, I don't remember Reid getting such great production out of lower drafted QBs. I remember him drafting Donovan McNabb high in round 1 and winning with him for a long time. He also won a lot with Brett Favre (admittedly acquired via trade - but still great). After McNabb, there was a brief Kevin Kolb sighting (not lighting up the track) and then former 1st round pick Michael Vick took over. He did coax a good season out of Jeff Garcia one year after McNabb was injured.

Reid really didn't have a ton of success in Philly after McNabb left (hence, he is now in KC).

It's not the end all be all. But there you had a QB starved team that passed on anything available for a middling veteran. I don't give Andy Reid final say, but he knows more than we do. Like the Buddha line.

Any team that is interested in a QB we should worry about. If Smith or Barkley fall to the pick ahead of the Bills, any team that really wants one of those guys as their future franchise QB would be likely to jump ahead of the Bills since every team in the league knows we want/need a QB.

Meh this anti Geno Smith talk makes me laugh, The guy is still very accurate, extremely productive, passes the eye test, Has plenty of arm, lives in the film room, loves the game kind of guy

If Tannenhill was worth #8 for Miami last year, then Geno Smith is more then worthy of #8.

IMO the only reason he is not going higher in this draft is the level of talent at OT DE, CB at the top of this draft is superior, but for a team in need of a young QB like Buffalo at #8 this is a great place to pick him up. No different then Miami last year and Tannenhill.

but in a draft deep at a multitude of positions liek DL, OL, WR LB and the fact that the Jets are going to have lots of holes to fill do they really want to give up those picks

I don't think they would do this IMO

I agree on all counts. I don't think OAK will go QB in the first, ARI possibly. I can't see anyone trading up for a shot at Geno...

1) KC - just got Alex Smith, doubtful they waste a #1 on a QB here

2) JAX - Operation Gabbert seems to be a lost cause, more holes elsewhere though

3) OAK - they love speed... Geno could fall here

4) PHI - new coach, new QB?

5) DET - no chance they go QB, we are safe here

6) CLE - they have guessed wrong on QB in the last 5 years, doubtful they draft another one

7) ARI - been needing a young QB since... Plummer?

in my opinion the only ones I am worried about it Oakland at 3, and Arizona at 7... if one of them go QB we will end up with Barkley or Geno. If they both go QB, we will have a solid defensive player drop to us, but will still need to fill the void of QB at some point, and round 2 may be tough to get a "franchise guy"...

Let's hope Cassell gets signed by one of those teams :cry:

Are people still so uninformed that they think Geno is a running QB? He is athletic, and was the fastest QB at this year's combine, but he is not a running QB.

Meh this anti Geno Smith talk makes me laugh, The guy is still very accurate, extremely productive, passes the eye test, Has plenty of arm, lives in the film room, loves the game kind of guy

If Tannenhill was worth #8 for Miami last year, then Geno Smith is more then worthy of #8.

IMO the only reason he is not going higher in this draft is the level of talent at OT DE, CB at the top of this draft is superior, but for a team in need of a young QB like Buffalo at #8 this is a great place to pick him up. No different then Miami last year and Tannenhill.

but in a draft deep at a multitude of positions liek DL, OL, WR LB and the fact that the Jets are going to have lots of holes to fill do they really want to give up those picks

I don't think they would do this IMO

Bingo. I am also sick of hearing how these guys aren't first round QB's. Ok Well last time I checked THREE non first round QB's lead their teams to the playoffs this year and one took his to the superbowl. So can fans stop worshiping at the altar of the Media 'Experts' already?

I respectfully disagree with your point- or at least question how you came to know that "it's obvious that Reid wants to win now and not wait on a rookie QB". How do you know that is the case? How do you know that he didn't look at the draft class and determine that (he doesn't think) that there are any future good starting QBs in there? In fairness, I don't know that your guess isn't right and mine wrong.

You're right that neither of us know, but I think it's far too soon to assume that he doesn't like any of the QBs in the draft. He could be targeting EJ Manuel in the second. We just don't know. He could also be really happy with what he's seen from Alex Smith and know that he faces little learning curve to pick up an NFL offense, because he's done it before. I just wouldn't look at the fact that Reid went with the opportunity to get a known commodity as a straight-up indictment of this QB class. It looks more to me like hedging bets in an uncertain market and situation. And Reid has done this before with other vets that teams wanted to exchange for his picks.

I could see a reason all seven teams before us could draft a QB. I think, realistically, we'll have a shot at the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft.

K.C. isn't spending its first and second round picks on Q.B.s.; Detroit is not replacing Stafford.