(OT) Doug Mientkiewicz not giving up ball

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww...looks like someone is wearing his grouchy pants today!

197486[/snapback]

Funny, I havn't changed my pants today, but when I woke up, I thought I was wearing the "maybe I'll stay in and watch a movie tonight" pants, but as it turns out, I apparently threw on my "no way in hell am I doing that, it's Friday, and I'm going out for several cocktails" pants.

Funny, I havn't changed my pants today, but when I woke up, I thought I was wearing the "maybe I'll stay in and watch a movie tonight" pants, but as it turns out, I apparently threw on my "no way in hell am I doing that, it's Friday, and I'm going out for several cocktails" pants.

197504[/snapback]

Shoulda worn your "sarcasm detecting" pants...

:P

nope... just went to lunch...

OK, since according to MLB he "owns" it, it would be an even bigger class move to give it to who "should" have it.

If you guys can't see that after 86 years, that a guy who played half a season of mop up work for the Sox shouldn't have the ball that ended the "curse" then apparently you don't care that sporstmanship is going straight to hell.

"It's mine. MLB says so! And NOBODY else will take it from me!"

take your ball and go home Mientkiewicz, you piece of trash. . .

nope... just went to lunch...

OK, since according to MLB he "owns" it, it would be an even bigger class move to give it to who "should" have it.

If you guys can't see that after 86 years, that a guy who played half a season of mop up work for the Sox shouldn't have the ball that ended the "curse" then apparently you don't care that sporstmanship is going straight to hell.

"It's mine. MLB says so! And NOBODY else will take it from me!"

take your ball and go home Mientkiewicz, you piece of trash. . .

197566[/snapback]

Defensive replacement in the World Series, not exactly mop up work, ask the '86 Sox...boy I love to argue, especially when I'm right...

Where does the ball say "Property of the Red Sox" on it? It doesn't. It has the MLB logo on it and they supply the baseballs for the games. Whoever has possession of the ball owns it according to MLB. If the Red Sux want it, then pay the guy for it. If I had the ball, I'd blow it up like the Cubs fans did after the 2003 playoffs. The Red Sox management are the scum in this whole thing.

Defensive replacement in the World Series, not exactly mop up work, ask the '86 Sox...boy I love to argue, especially when I'm right...

197568[/snapback]

yeah, you're right... :P

Thousands upon thousands of kids going through the call of fame in Cooperstown would get a chance to see the ball that ended the curse. 40 years from now, I could take my adult son there and explain the whole story behind it, and say "that's the ball that ended this crazy 'streak' people used to talk about".

Or even 10 years from now, father's who have babies now could do the same with their young kids. I'm not saying the HOF is missing something without it, but that sure is one Giant piece of baseball history that should be seen by baseball fans.

But, no, you're right. It's probably way better off in the lock box belonging to "Doug Mientkiewicz" (see: 25 years from now no one will remember who the hell he even was). Yeah, you're right.

Thousands upon thousands of kids going through the call of fame in Cooperstown would get a chance to see the ball that ended the curse. 40 years from now, I could take my adult son there and explain the whole story behind it, and say "that's the ball that ended this crazy 'streak' people used to talk about".

Or even 10 years from now, father's who have babies now could do the same with their young kids.  I'm not saying the HOF is missing something without it, but that sure is one Giant piece of baseball history that should be seen by baseball fans.

197576[/snapback]

They could go buy a ball at Walmart and put it in there. How the fug would you know? The story you would tell would be the same whether it was the real ball or not.

They could go buy a ball at Walmart and put it in there. How the fug would you know? The story you would tell would be the same whether it was the real ball or not.

197582[/snapback]

ok, I refuse to fall for your sarcasm twice in one day....

No sarcasm this time...

197592[/snapback]

I was afraid of that.

Why even go to the HOF ever at all? Just take some play-doh and make a bust of your favorite players. Take the bat that you used to use in your beer league and tell your son its Mickey Mantles...

doesn't matter if it's real... it's the story that matters...

:P

Mientkiewicz made $1.75 million this year. Not chump change, but also not A-Rod money either. I can see one arguement that he's a douchebag for keeping the ball, but on the other hand what does he owe the Red Sox?. They traded for him and he did his job. They were shopping him around anyway, so don't even mention team loyalty here. I say if the Sox want it bad enough, they can open up the ol' checkbook.

PTR

I was afraid of that.

Why even go to the HOF ever at all? Just take some play-doh and make a bust of your favorite players. Take the bat that you used to use in your beer league and tell your son its Mickey Mantles...

doesn't matter if it's real... it's the story that matters...

:D

197595[/snapback]

Never been to the HOF. But when I do, I'll go for the stories, not for some balls and bats collecting dust...