(OT) Doug Mientkiewicz not giving up ball

Never been to the HOF. But when I do, I'll go for the stories, not for some balls and bats collecting dust...

197622[/snapback]

Then why go?

You just want stories?:

www.google.com

Being in the same room as some of that stuff is just awesome. It's actually why I think they build museums... but I could be way off...

no. I'm not.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope... just went to lunch...

OK, since according to MLB he "owns" it, it would be an even bigger class move to give it to who "should" have it.

If you guys can't see that after 86 years, that a guy who played half a season of mop up work for the Sox shouldn't have the ball that ended the "curse" then apparently you don't care that sporstmanship is going straight to hell.

"It's mine. MLB says so! And NOBODY else will take it from me!"

take your ball and go home Mientkiewicz, you piece of trash. . .

197566[/snapback]

Steve you have explained why you think the ball DOESN'T belong to him, but will you please explain why the ball belongs to the Red Sox? Major League baseball pays for the balls that are used durring the games, not the Boston Red Sox. Major League Baseball (the original owner of the baseball) has stated the ball now belongs to Doug.

I would like to hear why you believe this belongs to the Red Sox seeing as they didn't pay for the ball and the ball ended up with the player and the original owner agrees that it belongs to the player.

Steve you have explained why you think the ball DOESN'T belong to him, but will you please explain why the ball belongs to the Red Sox?  Major League baseball pays for the balls that are used durring the games, not the Boston Red Sox.  Major League Baseball (the original owner of the baseball) has stated the ball now belongs to Doug. 

I would like to hear why you believe this belongs to the Red Sox seeing as they didn't pay for the ball and the ball ended up with the player and the original owner agrees that it belongs to the player.

197627[/snapback]

Numbtard, I feel it belongs to Baseball.

It belongs in the HOF.

Numbtard, I feel it belongs to Baseball.

It belongs in the HOF.

197631[/snapback]

Well BASEBALL says it belongs to him, so why fret about it?

If BASEBALL said they wanted it your argument might be a little more sound, but he is not obligated to give it to the Boston Red Sox.

Never been to the HOF. But when I do, I'll go for the stories, not for some balls and bats collecting dust...

197622[/snapback]

I think its cool to see the old gloves, bats, ticket stubs, uniforms etc at the Baseball HOF...if the HOF was just stories, who would really want to go to the HOF?

If BASEBALL said they wanted it your argument might be a little more sound, but he is not obligated to give it to the Boston Red Sox.

197639[/snapback]

Oh, that's right. On this subject we should AGREE with baseball. Now make an argument for a salary cap and how poorly baseball is run, you drooling blockhead.

197639[/snapback]

OK, if he gives it the the Red Sox, that is STILL better than HIM having it.

That ball represents 86 years of the city of Boston, the Team, the Curse of the Bambino, and baseball in general.

If the Sox have it, they can display it at Fenway for a while, etc, etc... it would eventually end up in the HOF.

Now, its in a lock box at DOUG's bank, waiting to be sold on eBay, or pay for his son to go to FSU...

pathetic.

Oh, that's right.  On this subject we should AGREE with baseball.  Now make an argument for a salary cap and how poorly baseball is run, you drooling blockhead.

197646[/snapback]

You stupid sack of dog****, this issue has NOTHING to do with the salary cap, try changing the subject somewhere else.

This is a simple debate.

1. MLB buys the balls.

2. MLB says a player making the final out has the right to keep the ball.

3. End of debate.

I've already stated my solution to this situation. It was probably the most common sense used in any post in this entire thread. Maybe you missed it?

OK, if he gives it the the Red Sox, that is STILL better than HIM having it.

That ball represents 86 years of the city of Boston, the Team, the Curse of the Bambino, and baseball in general.

If the Sox have it, they can display it at Fenway for a while, etc, etc... it would eventually end up in the HOF.

Now, its in a lock box at DOUG's bank, waiting to be sold on eBay, or pay for his son to go to FSU...

pathetic.

197648[/snapback]

Steve I'm not debating the ethics of him keeping the ball, I agree with you actually, but as far as his right to keep the ball, baseball agrees and so do I.

You stupid sack of dog****, this issue has NOTHING to do with the salary cap, try changing the subject somewhere else.

This is a simple debate.

1.  MLB buys the balls.

2.  MLB says a player making the final out has the right to keep the ball.

3.  End of debate.

I've already stated my solution to this situation.  It was probably the most common sense used in any post in this entire thread.  Maybe you missed it?

197654[/snapback]

Sweet. I'm going to get some popcorn and a Soda from the vending machine...

to answer you, though, your solution is no good because at some point, he would want it back. He is holding it for $$$.

I think its cool to see the old gloves, bats, ticket stubs, uniforms etc at the Baseball HOF...if the HOF was just stories, who would really want to go to the HOF?

197643[/snapback]

I agree it's cool to see antique memorabilia, I could just give a schit about seeing a current-day garden variety baseball, no matter who hit it for what record. Again, they could have bought the thing at Walmart, scuffed it up a bit, then put it in the case and a million meatheads would go by the thing jacking off to seeing the ball that Bond hit when really it's the accomplisment itself that's cool, not the ball. The item itself is fairly meaningless, it's the story attached to it that counts.

to answer you, though, your solution is no good because at some point, he would want it back. He is holding it for $$$.

197659[/snapback]

Well maybe they pay him a yearly fee for the use of it then? How about 100,000?

If he wants the money for it, that's a solution as well.

It's better than nothing isn't it?

take your ball and go home Mientkiewicz, you piece of trash. . .

A few bits of the story:

Until today, the red sox have never asked him about the ball, or for the ball, so it's not like he's being some enormous prick about the whole thing. He put the ball in a safe deposit box for safekeeping.

He took the ball, in the same way that thousands of players have taken balls in "big" situations before.

He has said he wants the ball to go on display in Boston / at fenway. He just wants to have ownership of it. He doesn't want he ball in Cooperstown because there is a ton of crap there already, and in 2 years it probably won't be on display.

I agree it's cool to see antique memorabilia, I could just give a schit about seeing a current-day garden variety baseball, no matter who hit it for what record. Again, they could have bought the thing at Walmart, scuffed it up a bit, then put it in the case and a million meatheads would go by the thing jacking off to seeing the ball that Bond hit when really it's the accomplisment itself that's cool, not the ball. The item itself is fairly meaningless, it's the story attached to it that counts.

197660[/snapback]

It 50 years, this baseball will be an antique.

It should be in the Hall, not in DOUG's lock box.

And your argument about the HOF is really puzzling. Seriously, if it's just for "stories", why leave your house.

Like I said, its a Museum. People go to museums to see the "stuff" inside; whether it be art, cars, or sports memoribilia.

197659[/snapback]

He's holding it for his kids:

"I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time."

Way to let Shaughnessy spin it for you...

I don't even think the Sox want it in the HOF, he says "Red Sox archives or museums" I think he wants it for them.  Selfish bastards.

197656[/snapback]

You are so dead on, EZC-B. The Red Sox don't give a rat's ass about this ball going to the HOF. It will stay in boston. No way they give up that cash cow. Luccino, Henry, Warner will want to charge people to see it.

He's holding it for his kids:

"I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time."

Way to let Shaughnessy spin it for you...

197669[/snapback]

Spin?

No. Why in the world should Doug Mientkiewicz's kids own it?

Mind boggling.

He's not going to sell it on eBay or pay for his son to go to FSU. He was JOKING around with a reporter about needing to send his son to college. It's an incredible piece of memorabilia that he was a part of, it is completely understandable that he would want to keep it in the family.

Steve, you'd never even heard of the guy despite the fact that he's a pretty good first basemen, and now you are making all sorts of judgements about it because you read a one sided article where a quote was taken out of context.