(OT) Doug Mientkiewicz not giving up ball

Money makes the world go round thats for sure...

WS Ball

Red Sox want Mientkiewicz to give up ball from final out

Jan. 7, 2005

SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox fans have seen the video over and over again. A ground ball to pitcher Keith Foulke. He tosses it underhand to backup first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who raises it high as Boston celebrates its first World Series championship in 86 years.

Mientkiewicz still hasn't let go of the ball. But now the Red Sox want it back.

Calling the ball, "my retirement fund," Mientkiewicz stored it in a safety deposit box. Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said Thursday he's going to ask Mientkiewicz to return it to the team.

"We want it to be part of Red Sox archives or museums so it can be shared with the fans," Lucchino told the Boston Globe. "We would hope he would understand the historical nature of it."

Mientkiewicz seems to understand it very well, which is exactly why he held on to it.

Historic baseballs have recently fetched impressive sums. The baseball Red Sox catcher Carlton Fisk banged off the foul pole in the 1975 World Series sold for $113,373. The ball Barry Bonds hit for his 73rd home run went for $450,000. The most expensive baseball of all time is Mark McGwire's 70th homer, which went for $3 million.

Mientkiewicz said he thinks the Boston's World Series ball has more value than a home run ball.

"Those are important and all, don't get me wrong, but there are always going to be more home runs," he said. "This is something that took 86 years, and 86 years is a long time. Personally, I went through hell and back this year. But winning the World Series is something I'm going to remember for a long time."

Mientkiewicz came to Boston from Minnesota in a four-team midseason deal that sent Boston shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs.

Mientkiewicz, who batted .215 for Boston, was used primarily as a late-inning defensive replacement, and the former All-Star has indicated his unhappiness with the role.

Boston broke its championship drought by beating the New York Yankees in seven games in the AL Championship Series, then sweeping the St. Louis Cardinals in four games in the World Series.

After the game, Mientkiewicz said he put the ball in his locker, then gave it to his wife, Jodi, who put it in her purse. The next day, the ball was authenticated by Major League Baseball.

Carmine Tiso, spokesman for MLB, told the Globe that Mientkiewicz owns the baseball, though Joe Januszewski, Red Sox director of corporate partnerships, said he thinks the team owns it.

Mientkiewicz couldn't be reached for comment Thursday by the Globe after Lucchino said the club wanted the ball back. But on Wednesday, he left no doubt that he believes the ball belongs to him.

"I know this ball has a lot of sentimental value," Mientkiewicz said. "I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time. But I can be bought. I'm thinking, there's four years at Florida State for one of my kids. At least."

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know this ball has a lot of sentimental value," Mientkiewicz said. "I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time. But I can be bought. I'm thinking, there's four years at Florida State for one of my kids. At least."

----------------------

But Red Sox players are different than Yankees players. :blink:

----------------------

But Red Sox players are different than Yankees players. :P

197004[/snapback]

Of course!!

They are clean, and they NEVER EVER take steriods!! :blink::blink::w00t::D:)

Scum.

197010[/snapback]

Scum? Please. The guy was with the Red Sox for a couple of months and, as far as I know, has no contract with them now. He has no loyalty to the team, and why should he? He was, in essence, a contractor for them.

CW

Scum?  Please.  The guy was with the Red Sox for a couple of months and, as far as I know, has no contract with them now.  He has no loyalty to the team, and why should he?  He was, in essence, a contractor for them.

CW

197016[/snapback]

The guy was a nobody on the team. Most FANS would give that ball up... he's lucky they signed him at all. Barely a .200 average, and a backup fielder.

Give the ball up, and let it go into a museum... man, now MLB is turning into the NBA... I thought at least baseball had some class... i was wrong.

Sorry Sox, but the ball belongs to the player or fan who ends up with it at the end of the play.

If they want it so badly, they can buy it from him.

197037[/snapback]

And then we wonder why it costs $35.00 to go see a professional baseball game....

The guy was a nobody on the team. Most FANS would give that ball up...  he's lucky they signed him at all. Barely a .200 average, and a backup fielder.

Give the ball up, and let it go into a museum... man, now MLB is turning into the NBA... I thought at least baseball had some class... i was wrong.

197038[/snapback]

Most fans would give it up? Are you kidding me? Not before they got their $ they wouldn't. Check his stats too he's a better player than you make him out to be.

Most fans would give it up?  Are you kidding me?  Not before they got their $ they wouldn't.  Check his stats too he's a better player than you make him out to be.

197042[/snapback]

And most fans don't make 3 million dollars per year, nor do they work for/with MLB. He's just giving the sport and the Sox a black eye.

And as far as fans, remember the guy who caught Griffey's 400th HR ball? Yeah, that guy gave it to him with no need for compensation. Griffey then gave hit auto'd balls, bats and a trip to the All-Star game. Amazing how giving sometimes results in more than expected.

Most fans would give it up?   Are you kidding me?  Not before they got their $ they wouldn't.   Check his stats too he's a better player than you make him out to be.

197042[/snapback]

Ok, maybe not "Most", but indeed some would... there have been valuable baseballs given back by the fans to give to the player or cooperstown. (i believe during the Mcguire string of HRs some were).

The funny thing is, I am not a huge baseball fan, so when i saw this post, I figured "Doug Mientkiewicz" was the name of the fan who somehow go the ball...

I mean, one of the players couldn't possibly be holding onto the ball... right?

This guy is a moron!

The funny thing is, I am not a huge baseball fan, so when i saw this post, I figured "Doug Mientkiewicz" was the name of the fan who somehow go the ball...

197048[/snapback]

You're not a fan, yet you make a feel qualified to comment on his abilities...

Most fans would give it up?  Are you kidding me?  Not before they got their $ they wouldn't.  Check his stats too he's a better player than you make him out to be.

197042[/snapback]

you love him b/c he was your starting 1b in fantasty baseball for about 4 years in a row

And then we wonder why it costs $35.00 to go see a professional baseball game....

197041[/snapback]

Naah, that's all Steinbrenner's fault. :blink:

btw, where are you sitting for $35? My friend's season tix for the Mets are almost double that amount for field box.

You're not a fan, yet you make a feel qualified to comment on his abilities...

197052[/snapback]

yes. It doesn't take a super fan to figure out that .215 isn't great, and being a backup first baseman doesn't qualify him for the hall. Oh, and the fact that he is worried about how to pay for his kid's college makes me think he wasn't one of the top bread winners in the league.

But, of course, that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this conversation.

The point is, if he's a AAA scrub, or Mickey Mantle, he should give the ball up. The Red Sox signed him, and like it or not, and no matter for how short a period of time, he was on that TEAM. Obviously, he doesn't care about that.

He's a douche.