(OT) Doug Mientkiewicz not giving up ball

Ho Hum....is everything in life about financial gain? Seriously, is there any dignity in sports anymore or is it just tied to the financial gain. I think I know the answer to this one.

Here's a guy who makes 3 million dollars a year to be an average to poor first baseman. Then he gets lucky and catches a ball that has some history tied to it and now needs more money? How much more? What is enough?

To me it's not about the money it's about the total lack of respect for yourself and the fans that are paying your salary.

In other news, Corey Koskie wrote a written letter of thank you and praise to the good people of Minnesota thanking them for the support and dedication to the team while he was there.

That is class.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a solution here.

The ball is definately his, no doubt about it. What he should do however is get a contract drawn up with the team and allow them to show it off for a certain ammount of time (for free) and then he gets ownership of the ball back.

Everyone can win here, but the ball belongs to him, not the Red Sox.

think there is a solution here.

The ball is definately his, no doubt about it. What he should do however is get a contract drawn up with the team and allow them to show it off for a certain ammount of time (for free) and then he gets ownership of the ball back.

Everyone can win here, but the ball belongs to him, not the Red Sox.

Good solution BF! Many people own stuff that gets loaned to Museums and Art Gallerys for display.

Hundreds of others were probably played that night. And every other player had a chance to grab one.

not hundreds, but many dozens and I am sure that many of the players did take balls. As well as the umpires etc. When someone major throws a no hitter, the umpires ask that guy to sign about a dozen balls that were used that night. Then they go and sell them off. What's the pitcher go to do? tell the ump no?

Mientkiewicz is saying that he was ambushed by shaughnessy as far as the quotes about wanting money for the ball. He says they were joking around, laughing about "everybody has a price" and the article comes out making it sound like he was holding out for $$$.

What I want to know is what makes it "his ball?"

Could he go into the stadium after hours and take 10 cases of baseballs home, just because,... because he plays for the team?

"Hey, my kid needs to make a model of the solar system. Think I'll use some baseballs from work as the planets!"

If i need staples at home, I go to Office Depot. Maybe I should just take them from work... I mean, I work for this company. They must be mine, right?

Hey, I helped work close a big deal the other day. I used the company computer to help with it... Think I'll take this thing home... its mine!

Honestly, I know those are some rather far fetched examples, but what makes the baseball his?

Honestly, I know those are some rather far fetched examples, but what makes the baseball his?

he ended the game with it, that's why.

it's not a new concept, players have done exactly what he's done for many years.