Astro's 2013 Not Too Early Bills Mock

Astrobot

I like it.

not a fan of John Jenkins, love the size but doesn't clog up the middle like he should.

Rather have Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern, kid is a stud and can rush the passer from the inside.

He'd be a great choice, same round, D2 player, third in the nation in forced fumbles with five, recorded 8.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for loss, finished with 27 TFL in his career.

In fact, Jenkins is less likely to be there at our RD2 pick.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Astro and the work he does. I also think Milliner is a good CB. However, I think it more likely, if the Bills want to upgrade at the CB position this year, that they do so with a FA. If any secondary member is chosen at 8, I think it more likely to be Vaccaro (sp?), the safety.

I also don't see Buffalo not taking a QB in the first 4 rounds. They almost have to, if only to quell the appearance that they aren't trying to find a young, capable signal caller. I really don't know the guys on this list to judge it, but it doesn't look like the type of first 3 or 4 rounds I would like.

Please, not another cb in the first round! I hope this front office learns from its past drafts and do not use your #1 pick on db's or rb's. Either get a qb, if no one they want is there, then get the best lb on the board. How many superbowls did the jets win with Revis, Cromartie and wilson?

If this is sarcasm, it's not funny.

If it's serious, it's the worst mock draft I've seen this year. I would think you A. Get a QB, and B. Build the rest from front to back and inside out.

I agree, it would be WONDERFUL to just go to the QB store and get a very good starting NFL QB. However, it is highly questionable whether there is a good QB prospect at all in this draft. Unfortunately, no matter how much in denial some folks are, there may not be a better QB prospect in this draft than Fitz. Simply drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 to say that you've drafted a "QB of the future" that isn't any better than Fitz is foolish.

I could see this playing out. CB is a need. It sucks but it is. LB more easily addressed without FA. And QB we are going to be left short in 2013 either way the story goes.

so just wait another three years to develop a QB? They have to take some QB in the top three. Ridiculous mock.

so just wait another three years to develop a QB? They have to take some QB in the top three. Ridiculous mock.

They have to take a QB in the top 3 rounds? Even if they are convinced that none are future NFL starters? I believe that the Bills are VERY desperate to find a QB in this draft. If they don't take one in the first two rounds, they clearly didn't think any were likely future starters.

Again, just because we all know they need a QB does not mean that there are any good ones in this draft. A bunch of other teams need QBs too and this reality sucks for them just as much as it does for the Bills. The truly foolish teams will take flyers early on someone that they aren't convinced of and end up like Cleveland - looking for a QB a year after they spent a #1 on Brandon Weeden and 3 years after a #3 on Colt McCoy.

I will admit, that there *might* be a decent QB prospect among Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson. However, I suspect at least 4 of those 5 will be career backups. Which one, if any, will become good starters, I don't know.

I think that there are other positions of need that can be addressed early with much greater probability of successfully filling a great need (LB, WR, and lesser needs: DB, OL, DL).

If you whiff on a QB early, you not only still need a QB, but you still need another position that you might've found a very good starter at.

While I am at it, I know that some here are saying "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Well, sometimes taking a shot costs a lot more than the expected payoff. For instance, I agree that you can't win the lottery if you don't play. However, I know that the lottery is a losing proposition (ie, I will very likely come out negative in terms of dollars spent vs dollars won).

They have to take a QB in the top 3 rounds? Even if they are convinced that none are future NFL starters? I believe that the Bills are VERY desperate to find a QB in this draft. If they don't take one in the first two rounds, they clearly didn't think any were likely future starters.

Again, just because we all know they need a QB does not mean that there are any good ones in this draft. A bunch of other teams need QBs too and this reality sucks for them just as much as it does for the Bills. The truly foolish teams will take flyers early on someone that they aren't convinced of and end up like Cleveland - looking for a QB a year after they spent a #1 on Brandon Weeden and 3 years after a #3 on Colt McCoy.

I will admit, that there *might* be a decent QB prospect among Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson. However, I suspect at least 4 of those 5 will be career backups. Which one, if any, will become good starters, I don't know.

I think that there are other positions of need that can be addressed early with much greater probability of successfully filling a great need (LB, WR, and lesser needs: DB, OL, DL).

If you whiff on a QB early, you not only still need a QB, but you still need another position that you might've found a very good starter at.

While I am at it, I know that some here are saying "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Well, sometimes taking a shot costs a lot more than the expected payoff. For instance, I agree that you can't win the lottery if you don't play. However, I know that the lottery is a losing proposition (ie, I will very likely come out negative in terms of dollars spent vs dollars won).

Well right now the only QBs on the roster are career backups. You don't think a flyer in round 2 or 3 is not worth it? Just go back to the same old 6-10 record and try again?

You and Buddy must get along great...Seeing as though a couple years ago Buddy believed a CB (who many believed was probably better suited at FS) was a bigger need than QB in the 2nd Round...Which caused him to pass on Dalton and Kaepernick...Obviously Buddy must not have felt Kaep, or Dalton, were future Starters in the NFL...Seeing as though all it would have taken was a 2nd...But lets assume that was not the case, and Buddy liked both of them...He still talked himself out of the possibility of taking one because he saw (incorrectly) bigger needs elsewhere...Then Buddy thought a speed WR was a bigger need than a QB in the 3rd Round last year...That caused him to pass on Russell Wilson...And Buddy even admits he liked Wilson, he just thought WR was a bigger need, and that the 3rd was a little too early...

You can find a million excuses not to take a QB...Especially if you wrongly believe there are other positions of greater need when the QB's on your roster suck-out-loud...Or you can see what the kid QB does well, and have the necessary determination that you can Coach him up...And if that does not work, and the kid QB flops, you do it again till you get a good one...It's really that simple... B-)

I think it's a good mock but as you can see from the responses the pressure to waste a high pick on a QB in the worst QB draft class in recent memory will be very high. Given the Bills history of drafting failure I suspect that they will yield to the pressure and blow one of their picks. I just hope it's not the #1.

I agree, it would be WONDERFUL to just go to the QB store and get a very good starting NFL QB. However, it is highly questionable whether there is a good QB prospect at all in this draft. Unfortunately, no matter how much in denial some folks are, there may not be a better QB prospect in this draft than Fitz. Simply drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 to say that you've drafted a "QB of the future" that isn't any better than Fitz is foolish.

If there is a legitimate 1st round graded QB then they will be a good prospect.....and we absolutely should be trying to draft them.

It may turn out that there won't be any legitimate 1st round graded QBs.....which I guess we'll have a better idea on after the combine.

IMO it all comes back to what your goal is as an organization.

Do you merely want to be a solid team that can often make the playoffs but has little to no chance of winning a SB.....or do you want to be a great team that will regularly make the playoffs and have a legitimate shot at winning a Championship?

There is no point having a strong team if you don't have a star QB.

Edited by Dibs

I appreciate the effort and understand the rationale for the picks. However, I'd loathe this draft if it turned out this way.

We talk about the Bills lack of drafting QBs. I'd say the lack of investment at the linebacker position is even more glaring given the evolution of the 2-3 tight end sets and how the lb corps got exposed in game after game the last two seasons.

A top shelf LB (or two) changes things on that 200 foot gash below the waterline porous defense.

Edited by dpberr

Everybody's feedback is very helpful, especially in changing our team's Positional Needs at DraftTek. While I understand the need for Linebacker and Quarterback, the DraftTek computer won't reach to take a player that's 9 or more slots down the Big Board.

Te'O has fallen, Ogletree fell but is still within 9, Mingo is there.

On the QB side, Geno Smith is within 9 but may go early, and the rest are beyond 9 slots...

Finally, I can Grab a player in any round, so I'd appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Everybody's feedback is very helpful, especially in changing our team's Positional Needs at DraftTek. While I understand the need for Linebacker and Quarterback, the DraftTek computer won't reach to take a player that's 9 or more slots down the Big Board.

Te'O has fallen, Ogletree fell but is still within 9, Mingo is there.

On the QB side, Geno Smith is within 9 but may go early, and the rest are beyond 9 slots...

Finally, I can Grab a player in any round, so I'd appreciate as much feedback as possible.

QB is the Bills biggest need by literally a county mile...And The Bills would never, ever, ever pass on Geno Smith if the opportunity presented itself... B-)