Metzalaars Trashes Fitz

Coach Tuesday

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/02/pete-metzelaars-on-what-ails-bills-it-starts-with-ryan-fitzpatrick.html

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

Interesting that he also says that he inquired about a job with Marrone's staff and no one even returned his calls. So OBD keeps Fitz around, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a decent coach who was also a solid contributor and warrior as a player. Classy stuff.

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalo...itzpatrick.html

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

Interesting that he also says that he inquired about a job with Marrone's staff and no one even returned his calls. So OBD keeps Fitz around, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a decent coach who was also a solid contributor and warrior as a player. Classy stuff.

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

1. Sounds like he has an ax to grind.
  2. Didn't return calls to a guy asking to be hired back in an assistant's role? With everything else they had going on, with building out their new staff, I'll give them a pass. Plus, see: no. 1.
  3. A personnel decision based on ticket sales? When has this ever happened? Seriously though, fans can't have it both ways. They can't demand personnel decisions by holding their season tickets hostage and chastise the organization for making personnel changes they glean to have been influenced by marketability.

1. Sounds like he has an ax to grind.

2. Didn't return calls to a guy asking to be hired back in an assistant's role? With everything else they had going on, with building out their new staff, I'll give them a pass. Plus, see: no. 1.

3. A personnel decision based on ticket sales? When has this ever happened? Seriously though, fans can't have it both ways. They can't demand personnel decisions by holding their season tickets hostage and chastise the organization for making personnel changes they glean to have been influenced by marketability.

I'm not suggesting that they should let ticket sales dictate personnel decisions. I'm simply saying that given the difficulty they already have in selling tickets, and the way they've operated in the past (where they HAVE allowed ticket sales to play a part in personnel decisions), I'm somewhat amazed by all of this.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I thought about it. Skipped it and then came to think about it. The conclusion is that Metzelaars is clearly unhappy with the Bills. The new Bills staff did not value him. I do not get why they should. He was good last year but still new to.coaching. I am not convinced Marine is the best coach. But I think he was top2 or 3 candidates this year.

I'm not suggesting that they should let ticket sales dictate personnel decisions. I'm simply saying that given the difficulty they already have in selling tickets, and the way they've operated in the past (where they HAVE allowed ticket sales to play a part in personnel decisions), I'm somewhat amazed by all of this.

Fitz may not even be our starting QB next year. I think he will. At least game 1. But we could still see a rookie or TJ. I am fine with crapping the bed to get Manziel.

Sounds like an intelligent guy with an overall good grasp of things. That a coach who was just there and had an insiders view is saying these things is very damning to Fitz. Can't brush him off like whats been happening to myself and others on this board who've been saying same thing for a while.

Fitz has issues. Nothing Metzellars said is any different then how the majority feel about Fitz.

I had hopes Fitz could improve enough to give us a chance at the post season, but a defense that somehow got worse and a QB that never improved killed us.

Bottom line is the BIlls must take a QB in this draft and semi-early to groom. They must also be very willing to do it again in 2014 and hope they have a QB on the roster that will warrant the eventual release of Fitz

It was more of a general statement than directed at you. Sorry, should have clarified.

I would, however, argue that--relatively speaking*--they have not had difficulty selling tickets, hence Russy's promotion.

*relative to market and on-field product

I am going to guess that those who love this team, will buy their seasons regardless. You can not take the fan out of a person. You can suck all of the enjoyment out of us......but we will go anyway! Apparently we love the punishment..........or fandom is so deeply in our veins that it doesn't matter. Besides.........tailgating is one of my favorite things about going to a game. As long as they don't mess with that I will be there

Sounds like an intelligent guy with an overall good grasp of things. That a coach who was just there and had an insiders view is saying these things is very damning to Fitz. Can't brush him off like whats been happening to myself and others on this board who've been saying same thing for a while.

I don't have everyone's Fitz-stance cataloged, so if this doesn't apply to you, feel free to ignore.

But yours is an easy statement to make when Metz's words serve to further the same Fitz-narrative you've championed all along.

I still think, and always have, that Fitz could be a kick ass OC lol Think about it......He is supposed to be genius right? Maybe he doesn't have the physical talent to transfer on to the feild. What if...........he can teach and see things others can't? Could he be the next genius coach? I know, I know i am a little nuts. Sick of talking about the same things tho. So it is time to dream. What ifs can be fun too :)

Unless they draft a rookie and he pleasantly surprises them, I'm predicting Jackson is the opening day starter. I think they could run the read-option with him.

I agree with you and think Jackson is the opening day starter too, and I think they draft a QB. This puts the Bills in a bind because Fitz gets his $3 million signing bonus and his salary. But what else can they do? It's a tough spot to be in. They either cut Fitz (doesn't help cap too much) to not pay him the real money and risk Jackson being awful, or keep him and still have to pay him if he gets beat out. I just don't understand what fans would have them do?

I agree with you and think Jackson is the opening day starter too, and I think they draft a QB. This puts the Bills in a bind because Fitz gets his $3 million signing bonus and his salary. But what else can they do? It's a tough spot to be in. They either cut Fitz (doesn't help cap too much) to not pay him the real money and risk Jackson being awful, or keep him and still have to pay him if he gets beat out. I just don't understand what fans would have them do?

Cut him, way over due

1.) Just Stating the obvious with Fitzaster

2.) I don't know how the process works for hiring and firing NFL coaches. It looks like one big good ole' boys club. Seems like Morrone should have could have called him back. Thats probably a rookie mistake.

3.) Why is anyone on this board worried about season ticket sales. Just win baby. The sales will be there with more Ws. I guarantee.

I forgot

4.) (cat fighting noise)

Edited by Why So Serious?