The arguement for taking a QB in Rd. 1

This quote is from an ESPN article on the Jets' pruning of their roster:

This especially holds true for quality quarterbacks. The Jets' front office has studied this very closely, determining that only five winning quarterbacks (in their opinion) weren't drafted by their current team -- Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo and Matt Schaub.

I know this draft appears bereft of quility QBs, but if the Bills braintrust (oxymoron?) believes there is a franchise guy there, they'd better grab him. Free Agency is not the answer. Great teams are built by drafting great QBs as step #1.

The Saints won a Super Bowl with a free agent QB (Drew Brees).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea you and I were in agreement at this time a couple years ago when there was debate about whether Cam Newton was going to be the top pick overall or if he was even accurate enough to be a starting NFL QB.

You take the QB.

Unfortunately, Newton didn't make it to the Bills.

And it's not that I didn't think that Dareus or Von Miller weren't surer things or that they weren't needed. And as it turns out, they should have taken Kaep and maybe even Dalton with that third pick over any other option in that draft.

When you don't have a QB, everything else falls under the category of "wants' instead of needs.

Exactly...Too bad it took Buddy 3 years to figure out what many, many Bills fans knew when he took over... :cry:

Mike Glennon seems to me to be the quickest guy who can translate his game to the NFL.

Question is will the Bills pick him at 8 or trade back into the first round?

Id rather have a pocket passer than a running QB. rRunning QB's get hurt( Vick, RG3) while guys like both Mannings and Flaco win Super Bowls.

And they should take another one next year if there is any doubt that the one they drafted this year isn't going to work out.

You don't miss the playoffs for 13 years in a row because you didn't draft enough Stephon Gilmore's.

I defy anyone to show me how the Bills would be worse off than they are now if they had drafted a QB in the first round of every one of those 13 drafts.

+1. You cannot get a great QB if you don't try. Getting a great QB is lucky. As Albert Einstein famously said: "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.".

Weak arm???? Huh????? Just because barkley doest throw bullets on every throw doesnt mean he isnt capable......i have seen barkley launch 60+ yard bombs to M lee a few times and dead on in stride....tell me this when have you ever seen picksgarbage throw 60+yards (all in the air)..dam dude cant throw it farther then 45 yards I believe let alone accurately.....barkley has more then enough arm strenght....

Well, we won't know any more this week because he's decided NOT to throw at the combine. That scares me.

The Saints won a Super Bowl with a free agent QB (Drew Brees).

....who was the only young & relatively healthy Star QB to ever hit the open market.

The chain of events that led to his becoming a FA are not likely to happen again anytime soon.

Just sayin, he was out there. Not like the Bills FO even gave him a thought.

Totally agree with you on that....we seem to have placed very little emphasis on obtaining a Star QB through any method in recent years, regardless of the method's likelihood of long term success.

Exactly. I see someone here say "We should wait until next year, when the QB crop looks more promising". :doh: How about we try this year, see how it goes, then try again NEXT year if need be? How about making the QB the #1 priority until they have a good one? If you end up with more than one, you can always trade the lesser guy for a nice return. Just get a QB here, EVERYTHING else can wait.

Because no team (that I can think of) has ever drafted QBs in the first round in consecutive drafts, and the Bills are definitely not going to be the first. That is why. If you think that the best available QB prospect is another Blaine Gabbert, you are truly better off drafting no one than drafting him at #8. The Jaguars are STILL talking about building around Gabbert, even with a new coach and GM. Even if that's smoke, there's still the part where the Jags passed on taking another QB last year because they were committed to Gabbert.

Now, if the Bills wait even till the 2nd round to draft a QB, and he stinks, then we absolutely could see the Bills draft a QB in the 1st next year. But in the real world, giving up on a 1st-rounder after 1 year simply isn't done. And drafting another QB in the 1st is absolutely a form of giving up on the last guy.

....who was the only young & relatively healthy Star QB to ever hit the open market.

The chain of events that led to his becoming a FA are not likely to happen again anytime soon.

Totally agree with you on that....we seem to have placed very little emphasis on obtaining a Star QB through any method in recent years, regardless of the method's likelihood of long term success.

If by relatively healthy you mean coming off a major shoulder injury that left enough question marks for the dolphins to take Culpepper over Brees than yeah he was relatively healthy.

What we need to do is trade for Ryan mallet with that number #41 pick...i mean honestly at #41 what qb is gonna be there (ej manuel and ryan nassib maybe???) Ryan mallet is far beyond better then any prospect in this years draft....almost un matched arm strenght even when compared to pro qbs.good accuracy,extremely poise in the pocket. Ryan mallet is ready to start in this league.. Get it done buddy dammmit!!! Rather have mallet then any qb prospect in this years draft

If by relatively healthy you mean coming off a major shoulder injury that left enough question marks for the dolphins to take Culpepper over Brees than yeah he was relatively healthy.

The health point further argues against the concept that one can find a star QB via FA......which is what I was meaning.

By relatively healthy I meant that though his injury raised questions, it did not in the end affect his abilities nor his perceived worth as the Saints paid him as one of the highest paid QBs at that time(10M/year ave).

Money could have been a factor with the Dolphin's decisions as their trade with the Vikings(2nd round pick) allowed them a comfortable 2M for Culpepper in 2006 rising to 5.5M & 6M in subsequent years.

Because no team (that I can think of) has ever drafted QBs in the first round in consecutive drafts, and the Bills are definitely not going to be the first. That is why. If you think that the best available QB prospect is another Blaine Gabbert, you are truly better off drafting no one than drafting him at #8. The Jaguars are STILL talking about building around Gabbert, even with a new coach and GM. Even if that's smoke, there's still the part where the Jags passed on taking another QB last year because they were committed to Gabbert.

Now, if the Bills wait even till the 2nd round to draft a QB, and he stinks, then we absolutely could see the Bills draft a QB in the 1st next year. But in the real world, giving up on a 1st-rounder after 1 year simply isn't done. And drafting another QB in the 1st is absolutely a form of giving up on the last guy.

Obviously, you would hope that the first guy you select shows at least enough promise, that you won't feel that you have to use your 1st pick the next year on another QB, but that would the course taken if he was a disaster. And I have stated elswhere that I can understand passing on a QB in the upper first round if he isn't a blue-chip guy, but if you need a QB and you are letting them pass you by after that, it's foolish.

I think people are overestimating the value of draft picks when it's a team with bad quarterbacking. Guys whole careers go by while the team searches. These guy's whole careers have been irrelevant, and have barely had a perceptible impact on the team's fortunes. These days rookie QB's are coming into the league more fully developed (generally), and can be evaluated more quickly. In the past, teams needed more time to let the QB learn the pro game, and that is a big reason why "it simply isn't done". Now, in the real world, things have changed.

As I said, I don't necessarily think they should just (why do people have to take comments to the farthest extreme?) automatically string together years of 1st round Qb's. Throwing away another year with Fitz, and expecting some guy to fall to us next year is stupid. They will probably finish middle of the pack again (8-8), and not get a shot at the best Qb's next draft either.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Let's look at the Broncos. They draft a guy in the first round (Tebow), give him a chance, and he ends up as the QB of a team that makes the playoffs. He didn't "win" games, but he did put together a remarkable number of game-winning drives in low scoring affairs in which he otherwise played poorly. Yet right after getting into the second round of the playoffs, he was unceremoniously traded for the equivalent of a loaf of bread (to the Jets) because despite being young and presumably able to improve, Elway took a cold, hard look at the situation and recognized that Losman (I mean Tebow) wasn't going to be the answer. So he cut his losses early and went and got Manning. They went 13-3 this year and should have made the AFC championship game if not for an inexplicable defensive meltdown in the last 30 seconds of regulation vs. Baltimore.

The reason that I bring up the Broncos is the first rounder who preceded Tebow (with a brief interlude by Orton): Jay Cutler. Not only did the Bills fail to draft Flacco, they failed to draft Cutler because they thought that they might be able to salvage Losman. To any sentient person, that was an improbable quest at best by April 2006. Yet that's what they appeared to believe, so instead of taking Cutler (forget Ngata - Cutler is the guy they missed), they took ... Donte Whitner. Incredibly stupid.

I know a lot of people don't like Cutler, but these are the facts: a lifetime ypa of 7.2, an incredible arm, and multiple 10 wins seasons. In the past three seasons, the Bears are 27-13 in games that he has started. That's right - 27-13. Again, forget about failing to draft Ngata and remember the failure to draft one of the biggest arms to come out in recent years, a guy who would have no trouble with the winds at the Ralph. http://www.pro-footb.../C/CutlJa00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

Not true. The Cowboys took Aikman #1 overall in 1989 and Steve Walsh later that year in the supplemental draft (using a #1 overall pick that counted against the 1990 draft). Afterward, Johnson publicly stated that while was certain Aikman was the guy, he had to be sure and in any case having another top-tier QB (in the draft sense) made him excellent trade bait down the road. He said something to the effect that you had to take top QBs when available. He ended up trading Walsh in 1990 to the Saints for three draft picks: first and third round picks in 1991 and a second round pick in 1992. Now that's what I call getting value for a drafted QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

There is no auguement for drafting a QB at 1. All the Qbs are prettyi much a reach this year. This years drafts class has no RG3 or Lucks in them and are pretty much projects. The Bills have had a TERRIBLE defense in recent years. Unwatchable!! This team is in desparate mode to get a play making linebacker ! There is where they need to concentrate the first pick. Most of the QBs will still be available in the 2nd rd. There is absolutely no need to reach!!!

There is no auguement for drafting a QB at 1. All the Qbs are prettyi much a reach this year. This years drafts class has no RG3 or Lucks in them and are pretty much projects. The Bills have had a TERRIBLE defense in recent years. Unwatchable!! This team is in desparate mode to get a play making linebacker ! There is where they need to concentrate the first pick. Most of the QBs will still be available in the 2nd rd. There is absolutely no need to reach!!!

I'm fine with them passing until the 2nd round. The defense has many needs, the offense is being held back by one position.

dont know how many times I have to say this but....MATT BARKLEY!!!!!!!!! This kid will make every single team that skips on him regret it BIG TIME. Barkley had three outstanding years at usc..and a so called ""downyear where he put up 3,000+ yards 36 tds 15ints...thats still dammmmm good...if he drops to #8 and the bills who desperately need a Qb dont draft him i will @#+$ myself...barkley might not never be "" elite"" as a pro but he will turn out to be dam good......a solid starting caliber qb in the right offense

yeah, lets draft a QB who scouts say "lacks arm strength" and that was BEFORE he suffered a third degree seperated shoulder in his throwing arm.

Pass.

CBF

See above.

Honestly its very,very frustrating that its taking this long to cut fitz and kelsay.....i mean seriously its beyond words...only in buffalo kelsay will make so much money and only in buffalo fitzgarbage will be a starter and make over 10+mill a year but yet never lead the bills to at least a .500 record...un freakin real....just release these two pathetic players....rather have tjax lead us to a 6-10 record then seeing ryan failcraptrick being payed a buttload of cash to do the same.....

Edited by Hotpockets28