Who do we franchise?

Risking losing both of them to free agency also shows other teammates that we may just be the same old stingy Bills. There are options out there to save money - there are ways to sign these guys, and a good cap manager can do it.

Looking at 2014 we could see some amazing cap casualties. If Kyle Williams slides this year, he could be gone, saving us $3.9mm. Kelsay could save us just under $4.6mm, Lindell $1.2mm, Fitz $3.55mm, Brad Smith $3.5mm, Mark Anderson $2mm.

I am fine with spending now on Levitre, because he is as valuable or more valuable then all of those listed.

How is my theory risking both? We have two weeks to get Byrd signed in order to non exclusive franchise Levitre. If in the two weeks we can't get it done with Byrd you franchise him and you let Levitre walk. To be honest I don't care what message gets sent to the other players and I doubt they do either.

I say sign byrdman to a 4yr 28mil...contract and just let levitre go...from what im reading he wants around 8 or 10 per year??? Yea right thats logan mankins money and andy is no where near the player mankins is...replace andy with a veteran OG in free agency or just draft a OG in the 3rd round or so

Where have you read this about what Levitre is looking for?

How is my theory risking both? We have two weeks to get Byrd signed in order to non exclusive franchise Levitre. If in the two weeks we can't get it done with Byrd you franchise him and you let Levitre walk. To be honest I don't care what message gets sent to the other players and I doubt they do either.

If we match Levitre's offer from another team, doesn't he have the option to take either?

I wouldn't franchise either. Slaussen could easily fill Levitre's shoes for Urbik money.

Landry is proven in Pettine's offense and will cost less.

On the other hand, the Bills could put the tag on one or the other that gives the Bills the right to match or get a draft pick or two from the team that ultimately signs them.

This is easy, Byrd is your franchise. He is a top five safety. We love Levitre's work ethics but he is not a blue chip guard.

He gets handled to easy by the big guys to much. We certainly don't want to create another hole to fill but i wouldn't be surprised to see him in an Eagle uniform like our other cast offs. I think they will want to get bigger and stronger at this position. I hope they both can stay when it's all said and done.

You do whatever it takes to keep Byrd, u need a top safety in Pettines defense(Landry/Reed) for example. Levetre can go bye bye if he wants top tackle money and we draft or Free Agency will provide, never spend that much on an interior lineman. Byrd is a young stud whowill thrive in the new defense. Sign him as quick as u can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we match Levitre's offer from another team, doesn't he have the option to take either?

I don't believe the player has that option. I think I got it now. The non exclusive means the player is able to negotiate a contract with other teams, the team then has the right to match or decline, if they decline they get two 1st round picks from the new team. I think what I meant was the transition tag. This works the same as non exclusive in that the original team gets first right of refusal, but if they decline to match, no compensation is given.

The transition tag is what I think we should use. Because no one will sign Levitre having to give up compensation.

Imagine this...bills resign byrdman go after landry and get him...instantly best duo at safety hands down in the entire league..then with the #8 pick draft dee milliner...hmmmmmmmm very interesting and me likes alot hahahha two young solid corners and two awsome safetys...pick up a few decent veteran lb in fa and draft and we just might have something going on here!!!z

Edited by Hotpockets28

I don't believe the player has that option. I think I got it now. The non exclusive means the player is able to negotiate a contract with other teams, the team then has the right to match or decline, if they decline they get two 1st round picks from the new team. I think what I meant was the transition tag. This works the same as non exclusive in that the original team gets first right of refusal, but if they decline to match, no compensation is given.

The transition tag is what I think we should use. Because no one will sign Levitre having to give up compensation.

The Transition Tag would cost approx. 8.5 for Levitre, and his agent would be free to negotiate a deal with ONE team and bring it to the Bills. If the Bills don't match, he walks and the Bills get no compensation.

I am not positive, but I think that this is how it works. That said, it isn't the worst idea if need be.

Edited by Bill from NYC

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

• An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
  • A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is less. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft pick as compensation.
  • Under the Capped years a team can designate one additional player only as a transitional tag. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag