Who do we franchise?

Well...Bills can only franchise one guy...so "both" is not an option. While I like both guys, and desperately want the Bills to bring both of them back, I am leaning toward Levitre if you have to choose just one. The Bills have had such trouble with their O-line over the years, to finally have a piece that you know works...it seems ludicrous to let him go.

Byrd certainly has had a nose for the ball, but I think what he adds to the roster is more easily replaced. A lot of what he does relies on the rest of the defense... an blue-chip O-linemen, while not as glamorous, is a integral building block for a successful team.

What in the world do you mean "both"?

Anyway, there is no way we devote that kind of capital to a guard, so no to Levitre. Byrd will only get tagged if we can't extend him prior to the FA period beginning.

I dont know lol distracted by the fact my daughter cut all her hair off :( . I meant do we retain both somehow contract for one and franchise the other anyway.........i still really think we need levitre more than Byrd. What is the cost again? somewhere near $9 mil for levitre and 6 or $7 for byrd?

Well...Bills can only franchise one guy...so "both" is not an option. While I like both guys, and desperately want the Bills to bring both of them back, I am leaning toward Levitre if you have to choose just one. The Bills have had such trouble with their O-line over the years, to finally have a piece that you know works...it seems ludicrous to let him go.

Byrd certainly has had a nose for the ball, but I think what he adds to the roster is more easily replaced. A lot of what he does relies on the rest of the defense... an blue-chip O-linemen, while not as glamorous, is a integral building block for a successful team.

Fixed sorry......I did know that lol

Bills are not known for using the tag...

I am going to hope that new regime means new ideas and different norms. But hey maybe if they aren't willing to sign a contract and stay.....the new coaching staff won't want them anyway. They did say they wanted people here who want to be here. They were talking about coaches at the time........but maybe it applies to players as well.

I'd also rather retain Levitre , but from a cost analysis and opportunity cost standpoint, franchising him makes no sense. The monetary cost of franchising Byrd is paying him top 5 saftey money, which he what he deserves to be paid, because he's a top 5 saftey. The opportunity cost is a wash on his appropriated dollars, because money for a top 5 saftey, if we want to have a top 5 saftey on the roster, couldn't have been spent elsewhere, plus the loss of Levitre.

The monetary cost of franchising Levitre is paying him top 5 LT money, because all OL are grouped together, and he is not a top 5 LT. He's not even a top 5 OG. The opportunity cost is a lost 4-4.5 million over his actual value which now cannot be spent elsewhere, plus the forfieture of a top 5 saftey.

As much as I'd love to keep both, if they don't take reasonable deals, we will lose them. It sucks as this team finds good people over the last decade and loses over and over to the next contract. If we kept half of the decent talent we found (I know about all of the misses) we would have a very different all decade record.

I was looking into a Krispy Kreme franchise some time ago. Glad I didn't pursue it.

As to The Bills, Byrd if he's not signed in time.

Levitre could draw interest in the FA period, but this is a particularly strong draft in terms of the OLine, and any rookie will come a lot cheaper. He might be a piece of a puzzle that some near contender will invest in. Is that the sound of Philly calling that I'm hearing on his agent's phone?

I'd give Byrd 7.5 million per year and make him the highest paid safety in the league. Then I'd franchise Levitre with the non exclusive rights tag.

If the Byrd signing can't happen, I unfortunately let Levitre go.

I think it's a roll of the dice, but it may be the best way to go. Byrd is cheaper. Levitre's tag comes with the weight of all the LT's in the league.

It's impossible to franchise a Guard. Byrd is the only guy the Bills franchise. The last guy I remember the Bills franchising was Nate Clements. Since Marrone is an O-lineman at heart, my guess is he'd pitch hard to sign Levitre. I'd be shocked if they let Levitre walk, but Byrd is the only guy who gets franchised.

I will go on record as saying we will keep both without the TAG.

Marrone will convince these guys, moreso Andy.

Pettine will tell Jairus why he should stay and will thrive in his defense.

But to answer the question. tag byrdman and let andy find his own way, Just too much money to franchise a guard right now.

I think it's a roll of the dice, but it may be the best way to go. Byrd is cheaper. Levitre's tag comes with the weight of all the LT's in the league.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking give Byrd top safety money, which isn't terrible in comparison to other positions. Then let Levitre see what he can get in the open market, if we like the deal we match and sign him, if not we allow him to sign. But at least we will know the numbers before allowing him to go.

It's impossible to franchise a Guard. Byrd is the only guy the Bills franchise. The last guy I remember the Bills franchising was Nate Clements. Since Marrone is an O-lineman at heart, my guess is he'd pitch hard to sign Levitre. I'd be shocked if they let Levitre walk, but Byrd is the only guy who gets franchised.

It's not impossible, you just have to pay them tackle money. I agree with your conclusion though.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking give Byrd top safety money, which isn't terrible in comparison to other positions. Then let Levitre see what he can get in the open market, if we like the deal we match and sign him, if not we allow him to sign. But at least we will know the numbers before allowing him to go.

Risking losing both of them to free agency also shows other teammates that we may just be the same old stingy Bills. There are options out there to save money - there are ways to sign these guys, and a good cap manager can do it.

Looking at 2014 we could see some amazing cap casualties. If Kyle Williams slides this year, he could be gone, saving us $3.9mm. Kelsay could save us just under $4.6mm, Lindell $1.2mm, Fitz $3.55mm, Brad Smith $3.5mm, Mark Anderson $2mm.

I am fine with spending now on Levitre, because he is as valuable or more valuable then all of those listed.

I still think at this point we need Levitre more. There are free agent safeties out there. I am still a firm believer that Aaron Williams should be converted to safety, and there are safeties in the draft.

There are Strong Safety's available for a reasonable price, but there are two high end, quality Free Safeties that will continue to perform. Dashon Goldston and Jarius Byrd. The rest are not worthy of mentioning.

Goldston will be paid more then Byrd, he was a legit Pro Bowler, on a championship calibre team. Byrd is a free safety, Aaron Williams does not have the ball handling skills, the fluid and intuitive movements nor speed to handle being a FS. He could be a SS (But I value LaRon Landry for his ability to stop the run and let Byrd handle the pass).

The line is the most important position on the team and I think we need to put a lot in to getting Levitre. His durability, his contribution to the team and his leadership have anchored the left side of the line for a long time. With an up and coming LT - if that continues to be Glenn, or anyone - they will need Levitre and he will make his first Pro Bowl next year regardless of what team he is on.

I say sign byrdman to a 4yr 28mil...contract and just let levitre go...from what im reading he wants around 8 or 10 per year??? Yea right thats logan mankins money and andy is no where near the player mankins is...replace andy with a veteran OG in free agency or just draft a OG in the 3rd round or so

Edited by Hotpockets28