GIRLS: anyone else watching it?

The Big Cat

This week's episode seemed like a big FU to critics/viewers that complained about how nobody wants to see Lena Dunham naked. "Oh really? How about a whole episode, haters!?!" Seemed like the first couple of episodes with Donald Glover were the same sort of answer to critics that there weren't any non-white people on the show.

There were lots of comparisons between "Girls" and "Sex and the City" but I think this show is actually more like "Seinfeld". These are really shallow, despicable people but they're sure fun to watch.

Except it wasn't only the reviewers/professional critics who didn't want to see her naked, it was a lot of fans of the show. I know a lot of girls who loved that show that are already sick of it. Plus, part of the main attraction of it was the guys, like her boyfriend, Adam Driver, in the first season. For all the talk of the GIRLS, he was probably the best character on the show. And he's barely in it now because it's all about her. The other three girls are easily as interesting as the Lena Dunham character, especially Marnie and Jessa, and she's squeezing them out, too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about Episodes with Matt LeBlanc...man is that funny as hell....if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor, its a half hour per episode and they are done with 2 seasons...

homeland had its own thread, that's why it isn't included here, but it is an awesome series. sometimes a bit farfetched, but always riveting

agree with ya Episodes is hilarious....stumbled on it and laughed my face off (wasn't a friends fan). Homeland's good and all but the far-fetched stuff is knocking it down a peg IMO.

Episodes is pretty decent, IMO, only because Matt LeBlanc allows himself to be made a fool of for being such a scumbag, which may be reason enough to watch it. I couldn't stand him before this show, but now I kind of like him. It's not like he can act though. The Brits are decent enough too, but the show overall is so lame, small and often cliched that it's painful for me to watch.

agree with ya Episodes is hilarious....stumbled on it and laughed my face off (wasn't a friends fan). Homeland's good and all but the far-fetched stuff is knocking it down a peg IMO.

yup - homeland is entertaining but they have to keep doubling down on the ridiculousness to continue the story. the longer it runs, likely the more trouble they will have holding it together with reasonable plots.

Edited by NoSaint

shameless runs a bit hot and cold with me. sometimes it seems to lose the heart that holds a show like that together, but it keeps seeming to find its way back eventually.

Yeah, I hear you...I have to be in the mood, but when I start watching, I normally like it.

shameless runs a bit hot and cold with me. sometimes it seems to lose the heart that holds a show like that together, but it keeps seeming to find its way back eventually.

Hmmm... interesting... I always see the heart in it. From Fiona, Deb, Kev and Veronica, even Lip and Ian.

Plus, Carl is amazing. ;)

Except it wasn't only the reviewers/professional critics who didn't want to see her naked, it was a lot of fans of the show. I know a lot of girls who loved that show that are already sick of it. Plus, part of the main attraction of it was the guys, like her boyfriend, Adam Driver, in the first season. For all the talk of the GIRLS, he was probably the best character on the show. And he's barely in it now because it's all about her. The other three girls are easily as interesting as the Lena Dunham character, especially Marnie and Jessa, and she's squeezing them out, too.

When I originally wrote my post I wrote "critics/fans" then changed fans to "viewers". I don't know why I did that. Anyway, I understood how Dunham was trying to take control of her body image by being naked and having horrible/conspicuous ink on display. She probably reacted like a 25 year-old girl would. After all, the show is called "Girls", not "Young Female Adults". Like you, my favorite character was Adam. Also, I really like Zosia Mamet's 'Shoshanna'. Her character is so entirely difficult from 'Joyce' on "Mad Men". She's a terrific actress. The episode where she took Ecstasy (?) and Ray had to chase her around the party was my favorite.

I'm going to try "Episodes" based on the comments here. It sounds good.

I've been watching girls for about 40 years, what's your question. And for those of you who like Shameless you need to watch the original BBC version. It's on Hulu.

Hopefully that means you do not watch this show...it is just god awful. I watched last year, truly trying to like it, and then just figured out 50 year old white male is not their target demographic. But my wife watches, and tries to act hip, but I know she secretly thinks

it sucks as well.

She was watching the other night in bed, and woke me up to see the Dunham girl playing ping pong topless....wow a twenty something chick naked and I truly was horrified

I've been watching girls for about 40 years, what's your question. And for those of you who like Shameless you need to watch the original BBC version. It's on Hulu.

I didn't like the original version, although it's possible I didn't give it enough chance, and I was so used to the American characters and quality of the actors that it perverted my opinion. The pilot episode of the Brit version is almost verbatim to the US one, so that was pretty good. I was amazed how close it was. The next few weren't the same though. I got kinda bored with it after 4-5 episodes and never went back. But that is just one man's opinion.

The acting, actors and production value of the US show, even though they don't use expensive sets or anything, makes the Showtime version look like the major leagues and the British version look like Single A ball, and usually I like the original versions of these kinds of things more.

For me, the casting and the actors for the American version make it not even close.

yup - homeland is entertaining but they have to keep doubling down on the ridiculousness to continue the story. the longer it runs, likely the more trouble they will have holding it together with reasonable plots.

I still like Homeland a lot, but I agree, they will have to come up with something very good, plot-wise, or it will become ridiculous.

The acting is what is great about Homeland.

i had no idea shameless was a british remake....which ties in nicely with this thread because Episodes is a show about a british show coming to America....and if the Original Shameless is anywhere as close to as good as the American version then i will absolutely check it out.

I didn't like the original version, although it's possible I didn't give it enough chance, and I was so used to the American characters and quality of the actors that it perverted my opinion. The pilot episode of the Brit version is almost verbatim to the US one, so that was pretty good. I was amazed how close it was. The next few weren't the same though. I got kinda bored with it after 4-5 episodes and never went back. But that is just one man's opinion.

The acting, actors and production value of the US show, even though they don't use expensive sets or anything, makes the Showtime version look like the major leagues and the British version look like Single A ball, and usually I like the original versions of these kinds of things more.

For me, the casting and the actors for the American version make it not even close.

And seeing I've only seen the British version I'd probably feel the same way about the American version. It's just that Frank Gallagher is my hero.

Hopefully that means you do not watch this show...it is just god awful. I watched last year, truly trying to like it, and then just figured out 50 year old white male is not their target demographic. But my wife watches, and tries to act hip, but I know she secretly thinks

it sucks as well.

She was watching the other night in bed, and woke me up to see the Dunham girl playing ping pong topless....wow a twenty something chick naked and I truly was horrified

Watch it? Hell, I've never heard of it.

Edited by Chef Jim

GIRLS was much, much better IMO its first season. It was fresh and funny. Lena Dunham got way too into herself this year. It's becoming pathetic, for me at least, although it's still good insofar as being original, fairly unpredictable, capable of making you think, etc. I have had way too much of seeing her naked though. It's becoming disgusting.

Couldn't agree more.Season one was head and shoulders better than this season is. BTW the chick who was working for the artist is NBC Newsie Brian Williams' daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

well to update this thread the last 2 episodes have been a lot better IMO.

it seems the show is better when it's not about Hannah. Shoshanna is awesome and Brian Williams daughter is pretty solid as well.

Adam's new girl he just scared off had some decent scenes also. Gotta say it's and up and down show but I gotta give it a thumbs up.