GIRLS: anyone else watching it?

The Big Cat

As inspired by Pooj's Cougar Town post, I thought I would bare a bit of my soul and confess that I've stayed current with the series.

I went back through a month's worth of posts to confirm this hasn't been hashed out yet, and for all I know it could have been talked about a great length during season 1.

I bum my buddy's HBO Go and got caught up over the last two weeks.

My feelings on the series are so ambiguous, and everyone I know who watches it says the same thing.

I think it's weird, enjoyably twisted, realistic though hyperbolic, stressful and at times disturbing, but I don't think it's funny.

I also think all the Lena Dunham nudity borders on preachy-with-an-axe-to-grind. And there's no way somebody who looks like her (at least her character) would get as much action as she does, particularly with the variety of men she's with. I reached my breaking point with this issue during the last episode.

Ammirite, fellas?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls IMO is okay......it's all over the place but it's had some funny moments.

I don't get the whole Lena Dunham loves being a naked hippy child thing as much though. Her friends are pretty funny though.

If your struggling for new shows...Showtime's killing it with Shameless, Californiacation, and House of Lies. All are a little better than girls IMO.

Shameless is awesome....it scares me that there are people that live like that....william h. macy is so despicable in that show, but there is something endearing about him that you just can't 'hate' him or 'stay mad' at him.

Girls IMO is okay......it's all over the place but it's had some funny moments.

I don't get the whole Lena Dunham loves being a naked hippy child thing as much though. Her friends are pretty funny though.

If your struggling for new shows...Showtime's killing it with Shameless, Californiacation, and House of Lies. All are a little better than girls IMO.

Shameless is awesome....it scares me that there are people that live like that....william h. macy is so despicable in that show, but there is something endearing about him that you just can't 'hate' him or 'stay mad' at him.

Shameless is awesome. One of my very favorite shows on TV, and maybe ever. All 10-12 of the characters are good. The family dynamic is amazing. That is one you have to start watching from the beginning (it's immediately good however) and get to know these maniacs. I suppose it's not for the feint of heart, but I love it.

GIRLS was much, much better IMO its first season. It was fresh and funny. Lena Dunham got way too into herself this year. It's becoming pathetic, for me at least, although it's still good insofar as being original, fairly unpredictable, capable of making you think, etc. I have had way too much of seeing her naked though. It's becoming disgusting.

All three of the Showtime Sunday shows are just terrific: Shameless, Californication and House of Lies.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

i haven't watched californication in years....over 5(?)....i loved the show, just dropped off my radar...do i need to watch from the start or can i jump in and start watching

Shameless is awesome. One of my very favorite shows on TV, and maybe ever. All 10-12 of the characters are good. The family dynamic is amazing. That is one you have to start watching from the beginning (it's immediately good however) and get to know these maniacs. I suppose it's not for the feint of heart, but I love it.

GIRLS was much, much better IMO its first season. It was fresh and funny. Lena Dunham got way too into herself this year. It's becoming pathetic, for me at least, although it's still good insofar as being original, fairly unpredictable, capable of making you think, etc. I have had way too much of seeing her naked though. It's becoming disgusting.

All three of the Showtime Sunday shows are just terrific: Shameless, Californication and House of Lies.

by all means, not to be lost in all of the praise for the development and interactions of/with the characters, emmy rossum is frigging HOT

californiacation is a little goofy you can probably jump in at any season and be good to go...

@kelly the dog agree with you on shameless charecters..........Kevin, Lip, The regulars at the bar, so many good charecters. Definetly one of the better shows on TV.

joan cusak may be the slightest step below william h. macy in terms of acting skills....both of them are just brilliant, and not just in this show. the look on joan cusaks face in S3E3 when Hymie wouldn't start crying...my god...

emmy rossum is way hot................ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you know you like Joan Cusack's charecter better though :lol:

If you saw the last episode, I'm sure you had the same reaction as me: NO WAY SHE SLEEPS WITH THIS GUY. And when she did, and when the nudity was as explicit as it always is, I found myself wondering, okay, exactly what point is she trying to make here?

If you saw the last episode, I'm sure you had the same reaction as me: NO WAY SHE SLEEPS WITH THIS GUY. And when she did, and when the nudity was as explicit as it always is, I found myself wondering, okay, exactly what point is she trying to make here?

This week's episode seemed like a big FU to critics/viewers that complained about how nobody wants to see Lena Dunham naked. "Oh really? How about a whole episode, haters!?!" Seemed like the first couple of episodes with Donald Glover were the same sort of answer to critics that there weren't any non-white people on the show.

There were lots of comparisons between "Girls" and "Sex and the City" but I think this show is actually more like "Seinfeld". These are really shallow, despicable people but they're sure fun to watch.

Haven't seen Girls - seems like it could be ok.

New favorite is over on Cinemax - "Banshee". It's basically like Road House in a series except instead of a bouncer the main guy takes over as sheriff. There is also major sex/nudity and you won't be disappointed - Google "Lili Simmons"

by all means, not to be lost in all of the praise for the development and interactions of/with the characters, emmy rossum is frigging HOT

Agreed! Emmy is smoking hot.

"Shameless" and "Nurse Jackie" are my two favorite Showtime series. "Californication" gets progressively worse with each season. Kind of like "Weeds" before it. All the Showtime series, IMO (including "Shameless") get a little too carried away with the "gross" factor...but I do like the two I mentioned.

So far, in the new season of "Shameless" not really digging the Brazillian drug lord/Steve story...but the rest I like.

Haven't seen Girls - seems like it could be ok.

New favorite is over on Cinemax - "Banshee". It's basically like Road House in a series except instead of a bouncer the main guy takes over as sheriff. There is also major sex/nudity and you won't be disappointed - Google "Lili Simmons"

We started watching "Girls', but just started losing interest during the first season. It is pretty self-indulgent. It is almost like a "Sex In the CIty" for the new millenium. I like Dunham okay (and I think she is oddly attractive), and find some elements of the show enjoyable, but, eh...don't really care that much. I work with enough spoiled, bratty 20-somethings, I don't want to see them on tv. :lol: My girlfriend lost interest, so we don't watch it any more, and I can live with that.

When show I haven't seen mentioned, as far as comedies go, is "Veep" with Julia Louise Dreyfuss. Really funny.

Edited by Buftex

"Shameless" and "Nurse Jackie" are my two favorite Showtime series. "Californication" gets progressively worse with each season. Kind of like "Weeds" before it. All the Showtime series, IMO (including "Shameless") get a little too carried away with the "gross" factor...but I do like the two I mentioned.

So far, in the new season of "Shameless" not really digging the Brazillian drug lord/Steve story...but the rest I like.

We started watching "Girls', but just started losing interest during the first season. It is pretty self-indulgent. It is almost like a "Sex In the CIty" for the new millenium. I like Dunham okay (and I think she is oddly attractive), and find some elements of the show enjoyable, but, eh...don't really care that much. I work with enough spoiled, bratty 20-somethings, I don't want to see them on tv. :lol: My girlfriend lost interest, so we don't watch it any more, and I can live with that.

When show I haven't seen mentioned, as far as comedies go, is "Veep" with Julia Louise Dreyfuss. Really funny.

Love me some Veep.

Any talk of best Showtime series should begin with Homeland....I've watched that series from day one, and it just continues to get better...can't wait for season 3.

It goes Homeland, House of Lies, and Nurse Jackie in that order for me.

As for Girls, I watched 3 1/2 episodes, never laughed once, and never watched it again--complete garbage(aside from Alison Williams), IMO.

how about Episodes with Matt LeBlanc...man is that funny as hell....if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor, its a half hour per episode and they are done with 2 seasons...

homeland had its own thread, that's why it isn't included here, but it is an awesome series. sometimes a bit farfetched, but always riveting

Any talk of best Showtime series should begin with Homeland....I've watched that series from day one, and it just continues to get better...can't wait for season 3.

It goes Homeland, House of Lies, and Nurse Jackie in that order for me.

As for Girls, I watched 3 1/2 episodes, never laughed once, and never watched it again--complete garbage(aside from Alison Williams), IMO.

how about Episodes with Matt LeBlanc...man is that funny as hell....if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor, its a half hour per episode and they are done with 2 seasons...

homeland had its own thread, that's why it isn't included here, but it is an awesome series. sometimes a bit farfetched, but always riveting

You are totally right about Episodes...I should have included it in my previous post. The scene where LeBlanc was on the phone trying to get other cast members of Friends to appear on his show was hilarious.

Edited by Special K