Aaron Williams at Safety ?

Webster Guy

I noticed some college draft guys had Aaron Williams playing safety in the NFL when they were analyzing him for the mock drafts two years ago.

I have always wondered about that myself. The dude is a great hitter, he just struggles in coverage.

Searcy will likely be our starting SS this season now that Wilson is gone, and obviously Byrd will be the free safety if he's retained, but what about putting a few pounds of muscle on Aaron (he's listed at 200lb) and getting him in a position to backup at either FS or SS?

Gilmore, Rogers, Brooks and Mckelvin likely start at corner next year anyway. I'd like to see us utilize Williams better, he was an absolute stud in college. Maybe we just put him in the wrong position from the beginning.

I noticed some college draft guys had Aaron Williams playing safety in the NFL when they were analyzing him for the mock drafts two years ago.

I have always wondered about that myself. The dude is a great hitter, he just struggles in coverage.

Searcy will likely be our starting SS this season now that Wilson is gone, and obviously Byrd will be the free safety if he's retained, but what about putting a few pounds of muscle on Aaron (he's listed at 200lb) and getting him in a position to backup at either FS or SS?

Gilmore, Rogers, Brooks and Mckelvin likely start at corner next year anyway. I'd like to see us utilize Williams better, he was an absolute stud in college. Maybe we just put him in the wrong position from the beginning.

I would love to see this happen ! :beer::thumbsup:

If we keep Byrd and move Aaron Williams to Safety, there's no way its to be backup. I think there's gotta be a big effort this year to use him on a regular basis - as a starter - as either a safety or as a third, nickel corner. It's just a matter of utilizing his particualr skill-set. I actually believe he fits in much better with this new D-staff, as they're so fond of physical, hitting backs.

The problem with Aaron Williams is that his best position is probably Free Safety where we already have Byrd and it's an unknown how well he'd play there- I guess the one interesting thing is the Jets played with a lot of three safeties - so maybe a 4-2-5 with Landry playing the Scott position?

1.) Aaron Williams is not an NFL quality CB. This has been established by his play with very few signs that this will improve to NFL level play in the future.

2.) Aaron Williams is clearly not afraid of contact.

It is logical that he should be in the mix at safety in camp and pre season.

McKelvin is a free agent and wants to get paid cover CB money. It is not likely he will be playing for the Buffalo Bills next year.

Williams will start opposite Gilmore this year IMO. The Bills played mostly off-zone coverage last year, but will play far more man this year. This gives Williams the opportunity to jam the receiver and disrupt his route, which is AJs strength and helps negate a WRs speed.

Williams would be a nice change at safety, but I think LaRon Landry is comng and with the hopeful resigning of Byrd, we could have the best safety duo in the league!

The problem with Aaron Williams is that his best position is probably Free Safety where we already have Byrd and it's an unknown how well he'd play there- I guess the one interesting thing is the Jets played with a lot of three safeties - so maybe a 4-2-5 with Landry playing the Scott position?

was going to say that both Landry and Byrd are FS's but then i didn't realize Pettine might go with 3 safties....so possible he goes for both Landry and Bell from Jets and hopes he lands 1 or both.. Byrd, Landry, Bell, Searcy and Williams...could be our safties for next year.

Edited by Tsaikotic

Williams will start opposite Gilmore this year IMO. The Bills played mostly off-zone coverage last year, but will play far more man this year. This gives Williams the opportunity to jam the receiver and disrupt his route, which is AJs strength and helps negate a WRs speed.

I'm not going to say it's an impossibility for Aaron Williams to play CB at a reasonable level but the guy had the twin flaws of being terrible at flipping his hips and not have very good catch up speed, yeah playing man could help him as he has good size as a CB, I mean god I hope so but in our group his name became a synonym for a WR being wide open ( "did you see AJ Green, he was Aaron Williams open on that play").

I think he is best suited for the nickel corner position.

I thought Brooks was being groomed for that position?

Rogers and McKelvin (if he stays) are really dime CBs at best. McGee is gone. If the Bills move Williams to safety then they need to draft another CB, and probably high. I think that in the big picture it might make more sense to leave Williams at CB for another season to see if he can improve and spend this season trying to improve the LBs.

Edited by vincec

I thought Brooks was being groomed for that position?

Rogers and McKelvin (if he stays) are really dime CBs at best. McGee is gone. If the Bills move Williams to safety then they need to draft another CB, and probably high. I think that in the big picture it might make more sense to leave Williams at CB for another season to see if he can improve and spend this season trying to improve the LBs.

I think Brooks has a high ceiling, but thats guesswork on my part. Kid has some good physical skills though and plenty smart enough.

I disagree we leave William at lone corner for long at all Vince. Decide all that before the real season begins.

Milliner anyone ?