When are we going to start talking about Chandler?

FireChan

First and foremost, I like this guy. He has made a couple key plays, especially in the red, that have hugely helped our offense. Sadly, he has also flubbed some passes right into his hands.

Is he really the best TE out there to run routes? He's obviously a decent blocker, but he's very unreliable. If we still have RF, or even a new QB next season, the more reliable and open receivers on the field, the better. I just don't know if we can classify Scott Chandler reliable.

Who says he is a decent blocker?

Only 43 receptions on 73 targets. At least 8 of those were drops. That is a high percentage. He also fumbled twice - one lost.

He is below average but not awful. I would cut/injury settlement him and sign Dustin Keller away form the Jets if possible.

If his salary is low and he is making good progress with the knee then maybe he comes in and competes again for a starting job.

BTW if Lee Smith is on this team even in OTA's Marrone has some splaining to do...that guy looks like someone decided to hold a pro-am during an NFL game

Don't look for Chandler to suit up before mid season. He's gonna start the season on the PUP list. Even if he's healthy at mid season, Bills could decide to sette up with him and send him packing. He's a good guy to have as a backup, but not at his salary.

Bills need an athletic TE that stretches the field and in Marrone's offenses TEs are not an after thought. They are actually part of the offense and are thrown to.

I would be stunned if the Bills did not either bring one in via FA, the draft, or both.

Don't look for Chandler to suit up before mid season. He's gonna start the season on the PUP list. Even if he's healthy at mid season, Bills could decide to sette up with him and send him packing. He's a good guy to have as a backup, but not at his salary.

Bills need an athletic TE that stretches the field and in Marrone's offenses TEs are not an after thought. They are actually part of the offense and are thrown to.

I would be stunned if the Bills did not either bring one in via FA, the draft, or both.

I don't know how much Syracuse used their TE, but this contradicts another's assessment on this site (I know, big wow, right? -- unheard of for people to see things differently here) B-) Anyhow, I'll still proceed (at the risk of getting a bit off-topic since this is really a Chandler thread) ...

In this thread -- http://forums.twobil...racuse-offense/ -- After watching a "handful" of games, Simon wrote this about the use of the TE position at Syracuse:

"Use of the TE was very limited; sitting in underneath zones for quick hitters was about the extent of it."

Now, Simon's sampling wasn't extensive, but I'm just curious what you are basing your remark on that Marrone's offense actually use the TEs? And I'm not saying it isn't so. Again, I've not studied their offense, so I really have no say in the matter, but in comparing your comment to another who apparently actually did take some legit time to study the Syracuse offense and came away with an entirely different opinion than you on the use of TE position, it has made me curious about your remark and so I'm hoping you can maybe elaborate on it based on what you've seen. Thanks!

Edited by ChasBB

First and foremost, I like this guy. He has made a couple key plays, especially in the red, that have hugely helped our offense. Sadly, he has also flubbed some passes right into his hands.

Is he really the best TE out there to run routes? He's obviously a decent blocker, but he's very unreliable. If we still have RF, or even a new QB next season, the more reliable and open receivers on the field, the better. I just don't know if we can classify Scott Chandler reliable.

Is it not time for you to change your name? Chan hasn't even got a job so he cannot be fired...

Chan didn't seem to use the te position as much as the rest of the league. I would look for a pass catching tight end to be brought in

Agree Chan could have used the TE even more than he did, but it sure was a nice change from Jauron where the TE was virtually invisible.

I don't know how much Syracuse used their TE, but this contradicts another's assessment on this site (I know, big wow, right? -- unheard of for people to see things differently here) B-) Anyhow, I'll still proceed (at the risk of getting a bit off-topic since this is really a Chandler thread) ...

In this thread -- http://forums.twobil...racuse-offense/ -- After watching a "handful" of games, Simon wrote this about the use of the TE position at Syracuse:

"Use of the TE was very limited; sitting in underneath zones for quick hitters was about the extent of it."

Now, Simon's sampling wasn't extensive, but I'm just curious what you are basing your remark on that Marrone's offense actually use the TEs? And I'm not saying it isn't so. Again, I've not studied their offense, so I really have no say in the matter, but in comparing your comment to another who apparently actually did take some legit time to study the Syracuse offense and came away with an entirely different opinion than you on the use of TE position, it has made me curious about your remark and so I'm hoping you can maybe elaborate on it based on what you've seen. Thanks!

17 % of Cuse's completion this year were to TEs vs 18% for the Bills. However, a bit misleading because Cuse was wr heavy and TE light due to loss of Provo plus TE injuries. Conversely, the Bills were wr light and they completed a lot to rbs + TEs out of necessity. In 2011 28% of Cuse completions were to TEs when they had Provo. Coincidently, the 28% number is exactly what the Saints completed to TEs in 2008 when TEs accounted for 119 receptions in Marrone's final season as the Saints OC.

I won't say that Marrone is TE crazy. But, the TEs have been a bigger part of his offenses than the Bills offenses. I would look for the Bills to be a player in FA for either Cook or Keller because Chandler doesn't stretch the field nor will he be ready to play before mid season. Chandler's value is really only inside the red zone because of his height.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

17 % of Cuse's completion this year were to TEs vs 18% for the Bills. However, a bit misleading because Cuse was wr heavy and TE light due to loss of Provo plus TE injuries. Conversely, the Bills were wr light and they completed a lot to rbs + TEs out of necessity. In 2011 28% of Cuse completions were to TEs when they had Provo. Coincidently, the 28% number is exactly what the Saints completed to TEs in 2008 when TEs accounted for 119 receptions in Marrone's final season as the Saints OC.

I won't say that Marrone is TE crazy. But, the TEs have been a bigger part of his offenses than the Bills offenses. I would look for the Bills to be a player in FA for either Cook or Keller because Chandler doesn't stretch the field nor will he be ready to play before mid season. Chandler's value is really only inside the red zone because of his height.

That's a great stat -- 28% completions to TEs in 2011 -- that is very telling that provided they have a solid guy at the position, they'll utilize him. Great info -- thanks for taking a moment to explain your view!! Interesting New Orleans reference, too!

Edited by ChasBB

Only 43 receptions on 73 targets. At least 8 of those were drops. That is a high percentage. He also fumbled twice - one lost.

He is below average but not awful. I would cut/injury settlement him and sign Dustin Keller away form the Jets if possible.

If his salary is low and he is making good progress with the knee then maybe he comes in and competes again for a starting job.

BTW if Lee Smith is on this team even in OTA's Marrone has some splaining to do...that guy looks like someone decided to hold a pro-am during an NFL game

I'm gonna disagree with you. I can remember him dropping a pass against Houston this year, but aside from that, I find the guy to be very reliable (show me 8 drops somewhere) and I would call him a "slightly ABOVE average starting NFL tight end." If you hadn't noticed, all of Fitz's targets had a low reception/target rate- look at Stevie Johnson's numbers, he had some of the most targets in the league. I don't think he is just a red zone target, I think he has demonstrated that he can rip off big gains in the middle of the field as well. And the guys mentioned on here- Martellus Bennett, Dustin Keller- I'm not so sure they're better football players. The grass is always greener on this website. I do like Fred Davis, but that's about the only guy I see as being a potential upgrade over Chandler. Don't forget Chandler has a pedigree himself (I believe 4th round pick coming out of Iowa?) and his size is more than ideal. Let's see if he can come back from surgery and shoot to be on target for the preseason before we talking about cutting him/injury settlements. For Christ sake, he got hurt making a huge play against Miami.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

If there is one Notre Dame player I want it's Tyler Eifert and not Manti Tao, I just don't think Eifert will be around in the second round and he is not worth the #8 pick in the first nor is he worth trading up to get back into the first round back end to grab him unless it is just for our number 2 and number 5 or 6 rounder but I don't see that happening.

It should be the case that the use of the TE in a given offense is more a function of what the TE can/can't do rather than the scheme limiting them. I know that most coaches say that, but I do believe that Marrone and Hackett have been insistent that they will tailor their offense to take best advantage of the talent on the roster. Point being, maybe Syracuse's offense didn't feature the TE on many plays because they didn't have a TE who excelled as a pass receiver?

Why cut him? Why not get another TE and have 2 receiving TE's? (you are allowed to do that in the NFL). And why the hate for Lee Smith?

Why cut him? Why not get another TE and have 2 receiving TE's? (you are allowed to do that in the NFL). And why the hate for Lee Smith?

My feelings exactly.

I know that Chandler's injury is a concern, but from what I have seen Chandler has been a reliable TE. Yes he had a few drops, but he also made some nice catches deep over the middle and took some hard hits as well and still hung onto the ball.

I'm not saying the Bills can't improve the position. If they can get someone better than Chandler, via free agency or the draft, fine. It would be great to have two good TE's on the team.

I don't get the hate for Lee Smith either. Smith is a back-up player and does a fine job at it. He's a very good blocker and a good red zone target. Why should we get rid of him?