What Free Agents Would You Look At?

Rob's House

Particularly those that could improve the team without breaking the bank.

Here's my list (and yes, I'm aware of the fact we can't sign all of them):

Larry Grant - ILB - SF: Unproven but potentially solid player to fill one of our greatest needs who'd likely jump at a realistic opportunity to earn a starting spot.

Delanie Walker - TE/FB - SF: His SB performance may have priced him out of range, but he'd be great filling our holes for a dynamic lead blocking FB, all purpose #2 TE, and ST ace.

Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Pit: The guy's not very good & he's a POS who may command a higher price than he's worth, but if he meets a soft market & could be had cheap he'd make a nice 3rd stringer & short yardage/4th qtr RB.

Austin Collie - WR - Ind: Looked very promising before concussions & a knee injury derailed him. If he's recovered he could be a steal.

Ramses Barden - WR - NYG: He's been buried on a very deep Giants receiving corps, but has good size (6'6" 225). He's unproven but could be low risk/high reward.

Dustin Keller - TE - NYJ: Coming off injury he could be affordable & give us 2 viable receiving TEs.

Manny Lawson - OLB - CIN: His versatility could be valuable in the hybrid D. Has played in a 3-4 & 4-3. He can cover & play the run.

Chase Blackburn - ILB - NYG: Not spectacular by any stretch, but we can't fully address LB in the draft.

EJ Henderson - ILB - FA(MN): Out of the league last year but was very good before breaking his leg. At 32 he might make a good stop-gap.

Ray Maualuga - ILB - CIN: He's not very good, but I've heard of him.

i think we have resign Byrd and Levitre and then focus all the !@#$ing resources on hitting on that first round pick making sure that we either get a linebacker that will be a vital cog for years to come or a premium WR that will make plays and really take some pressure off CJ, SJ and FJ.

Then throw the remaining money at what ever we didnt get with our 1st rounder then try to get Wilson in the 2nd or if he isnt there then take Nassib in the 3rd

Assuming the Bills have 30.4 (from the thread 9.8 million carry over + 20.6 in cap space) million my dream off season would go this way:

Resign Byrd 7 million (slightly more than the franchise tag #)

Resign Levitre 5.2 million (Ben Grubbs Money)

Resign McKelvin 3.5 million (This # seems reasonable to me for him. His value is more as a return man than a cb - although I think he did improve this year in that regard)

That is 15.2 million leaving 15.2 for Rookies and other signings. Rookie cap at about 7.2 million (I'm guessing at this number because I couldn't find it anywhere online) leaving 8 million for other free agents. I'd like more money so I'd cut; Kelsay (4.175), McGee (2.1) and Wilson (3.375) giving me total 17.65 to spend where I see fit.

My signings:

Phillip Wheeler OLB Raiders - I don't think Kruger (although I would be very happy with him) will be an option and wheeler is coming off of a prove me season where he did. I think he could be had for a reasonable contract somewhere in the 5 million a year range.

Brad Jones MLB Packers - 3 down lb and the position that needs the most help. 6 million a year.

Domenik Hixon WR Giants - I know people are all over Jennings, Bowe, Wallace, etc... but each of those receivers are going to want a lot of many and all of them have issues. Jennings injury, Bowe incosistency, and Wallace inconsistency/wants big bucks. Hixon has produced when given the opportunity and I think he would be a great value signing. 2.5 million a year

Cary Williams CB Ravens - CB is a need on this team and Williams did well filling in for Webb this year. I think he is the guy pinched out due to lack of money. 3.5 million a year.

I think this would fill all of our needs before the draft (except qb) leaving us able to pick the bpa whenever it is our turn. Some of these numbers are fluid (rookie wage allotment) and I have no idea what all of these players demands would be. The numbers seemed fair to me but it's play money. Hopefully the real dollars match up. So what do you guys think?

Assuming the Bills have 30.4 (from the thread 9.8 million carry over + 20.6 in cap space) million my dream off season would go this way:

Resign McKelvin 3.5 million (This # seems reasonable to me for him. His value is more as a return man than a cb - although I think he did improve this year in that regard)

That is 15.2 million leaving 15.2 for Rookies and other signings. Rookie cap at about 7.2 million (I'm guessing at this number because I couldn't find it anywhere online) leaving 8 million for other free agents. I'd like more money so I'd cut; Kelsay (4.175), McGee (2.1) and Wilson (3.375) giving me total 17.65 to spend where I see fit.

My signings:

Phillip Wheeler OLB Raiders - I don't think Kruger (although I would be very happy with him) will be an option and wheeler is coming off of a prove me season where he did. I think he could be had for a reasonable contract somewhere in the 5 million a year range.

Brad Jones MLB Packers - 3 down lb and the position that needs the most help. 6 million a year.

Domenik Hixon WR Giants - I know people are all over Jennings, Bowe, Wallace, etc... but each of those receivers are going to want a lot of many and all of them have issues. Jennings injury, Bowe incosistency, and Wallace inconsistency/wants big bucks. Hixon has produced when given the opportunity and I think he would be a great value signing. 2.5 million a year

Cary Williams CB Ravens - CB is a need on this team and Williams did well filling in for Webb this year. I think he is the guy pinched out due to lack of money. 3.5 million a year.

I think this would fill all of our needs before the draft (except qb) leaving us able to pick the bpa whenever it is our turn. Some of these numbers are fluid (rookie wage allotment) and I have no idea what all of these players demands would be. The numbers seemed fair to me but it's play money. Hopefully the real dollars match up. So what do you guys think?

The numbers make sense as far as guessing goes. I think mcKelvin will get offered more elsewhere though. Otherwise, I would be estatic if things played out this way. I agree that Hixon would be an excellent add.

From afew espn Insider articles (PFF), they discussed FA's

In the BUYER BEWARE Category was Cary Williams he gave up 45 first downs in reg/post season - the 2nd highest of all cornerbacks. He was a far cry from a shutdown corner. He was the guy opponents went after to keep the chains moving.

Others in the BUYER BEWARE Category: (Defense) LaRon Landry (S), Osi Umenyiora (DE), Connor Barwin(LB), Sean Smith (CB), Rey Maualuga(LB); (Offense) Dustin Keller (TE), Jake Long (T), Reggie Bush (RB), Donnie Avery (WR).

Top 10 Under the Radar FA's

Defense: William Hayes (DE Rams), Greg Toler (CB Cards), Desmond Bryant (DL Raiders), Israel Idonijie (DL Bears), Vance Walker (DL Falcons), Brad Jones (LB Packers); Offense: Chris Ivory (RB Saints), Geoff Schwartz (G Vikings), Fernando Velasco (C Titans), Brandon Gibson (R Rams)

Bill Polian also listed approximate 100 or so FA's and tiered them A-B-C. Very Interesting read http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8891791/2013-nfl-free-agency-bill-polian-ranks-top-free-agents-tier?addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

From afew espn Insider articles (PFF), they discussed FA's

In the BUYER BEWARE Category was Cary Williams he gave up 45 first downs in reg/post season - the 2nd highest of all cornerbacks. He was a far cry from a shutdown corner. He was the guy opponents went after to keep the chains moving.

Others in the BUYER BEWARE Category: (Defense) LaRon Landry (S), Osi Umenyiora (DE), Connor Barwin(LB), Sean Smith (CB), Rey Maualuga(LB); (Offense) Dustin Keller (TE), Jake Long (T), Reggie Bush (RB), Donnie Avery (WR).

Top 10 Under the Radar FA's

Defense: William Hayes (DE Rams), Greg Toler (CB Cards), Desmond Bryant (DL Raiders), Israel Idonijie (DL Bears), Vance Walker (DL Falcons), Brad Jones (LB Packers); Offense: Chris Ivory (RB Saints), Geoff Schwartz (G Vikings), Fernando Velasco (C Titans), Brandon Gibson (R Rams)

Bill Polian also listed approximate 100 or so FA's and tiered them A-B-C. Very Interesting read http://insider.espn....mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

Very interesting thanks for posting.

Interestingly enough Polian has Cary Williams rated as an A in spite of the stat you posted. I thought he played well and never stood out to me as a player that was continually picked on (like Culliver on the niners did). I wonder how many of the first downs he gave up were as he got his feet wet. MAuluga is also rated an A by Polian but I don't neccesarily agree. He appears to be a borderline guy. One who I would like the pick up and I think could start immediately but I am unsure of the cost/benefit ratio for him.

The numbers make sense as far as guessing goes. I think mcKelvin will get offered more elsewhere though. Otherwise, I would be estatic if things played out this way. I agree that Hixon would be an excellent add.

McKelvin is tough to judge. ST is not a big selling point as returners are dime a dozen. Does he get paid on potential at cb or his (lack of) production at the spot. I thought he came on in place of Williams last year and would love to see him back. The cost is definitely something worth paying attention to.

read an article on PFT about how the Steelers are in such cap hell that they will probably not be able to sign any of their FA's....haven't seen their list yet, any that look good?....also PFT say's Ravens might have to get rid of some good talent as well...such as Boldin if he won't re-structure

My signings:

looks like the team wants to re-sign Jones (wr) also...not that he would cost a bunch, but just throwing that in there for you to add to your math/list

read an article on PFT about how the Steelers are in such cap hell that they will probably not be able to sign any of their FA's....haven't seen their list yet, any that look good?....also PFT say's Ravens might have to get rid of some good talent as well...such as Boldin if he won't re-structure

looks like the team wants to re-sign Jones (wr) also...not that he would cost a bunch, but just throwing that in there for you to add to your math/list

Dammit I spent all my money! :blush: I'm sure the numbers that I put on players were more than optimistic and they won't really be an option. I think the players I listed would be good adds for the team (and I'm playing with monopoly money :flirt: )

Steelers 2013 Unrestricted Free Agents (not much here in the way of value/ age)

S Will Allen

QB Charlie Batch

WR Plaxico Burress

S Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith

LB Larry Foote

RG Ramon Foster

WR David Gilreath

NT Casey Hampton

CB Justin King

QB Byron Leftwich

OG Doug Legursky

CB Keenan Lewis

LB Marshall McFadden

RB Rashard Mendenhall

FS Ryan Mundy

TE Leonard Pope

LT Max Starks

NT Alameda Ta'amu

LS Greg Warren

Kruger would be nice.

Sean smith cb Miami would be a good get

And walker from the 49ers.

Picking up Kruger then drafting a linebacker in one of the first three rounds would put us in good shape for linebacker. I don't know anything about Sean Smith but getting one more corner would round out our D nicely and we could have a dominant unit. After that it's all on our offense.

I second this...the rest of the list made me want to vomit honestly. Especially Mendenhall, I'd imagine we can find several UDFA's that are far better.

We have enough threads dedicated to Bowe, Kruger, etc. This is about low cost guys that could potentially have upside, or role players to fill holes so we don't have to reach in the draft to fill positions of need out of desperation.