QB Matchmaker (bucky brooks article)

Not sure if this was already posted (did a search for QB matchmaker and bucky brooks and didn't come up with anything on TSW).

Anyways, decent read, Bucky Brooks presents his rationale for which QB will go to which team and why they would be a good fit. Of course this is only based on his thoughts, not expert NFL scout analysis, but it seems like a reasonable matchup. Has us matching up with Tyler Wilson for his ability to read at the line, and possibly run a K-gun.

Link

Not sure if this was already posted (did a search for QB matchmaker and bucky brooks and didn't come up with anything on TSW).

Anyways, decent read, Bucky Brooks presents his rationale for which QB will go to which team and why they would be a good fit. Of course this is only based on his thoughts, not expert NFL scout analysis, but it seems like a reasonable matchup. Has us matching up with Tyler Wilson for his ability to read at the line, and possibly run a K-gun.

Link

Excellent read. Nix has quality options with his first round selectiion. The qb candidates are there. He needs to pull the tirgger.

Wilson has been my guy since early this season. Even though he didn't have a great Senior season, he competed well in a tough league. Watching him at the Senior Bowl, he seemed to have a great week of practice and a pretty good game as well. I like this kid from watching him at Arkansas over the past couple of years and I think he would be a good fit for the Bills.

Link

With Wilson, I just can't get past those 8.5 inch hands...It's the AFC East...I don't know...I think folks are looking past this and it is an issue...I'd rather take my chances with Manuel's athletic ability, arm, and upside...We'll see... B-)

With Wilson, I just can't get past those 8.5 inch hands...It's the AFC East...I don't know...I think folks are looking past this and it is an issue...I'd rather take my chances with Manuel's athletic ability, arm, and upside...We'll see... B-)

I think our next starting QB will come from this group... Alex Smith, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel or Tyler Wilson.

As for T. Wilson, I think that R. Wilson proved that measurables like height are overrated. If he were a stationary target then I think it would be more of a concern, but I think he's got a good sense in the pocket and avoiding defenders. That being said, without question I would still take EJ Manuel over him.

I think our next starting QB will come from this group... Alex Smith, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel or Tyler Wilson.

As for T. Wilson, I think that R. Wilson proved that measurables like height are overrated. If he were a stationary target then I think it would be more of a concern, but I think he's got a good sense in the pocket and avoiding defenders. That being said, without question I would still take EJ Manuel over him.

I agree with you in principle, but I have a general problem with everyone gushing over these mobile QB's like Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick. I agree they lit things up this year, but so did Vick two years ago, and Newton one year ago, and everyone was gushing the way they are for these 3 this year. The following year for both of these two, their production was nowhere nearly as impressive, and Vick looks like he might be getting run out of town. I think as defensive coordinators watch more tape, they learn how to neutralize these guys.

Again not saying these guys will not be great, but a single season does not a career make.

I agree with you in principle, but I have a general problem with everyone gushing over these mobile QB's like Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick. I agree they lit things up this year, but so did Vick two years ago, and Newton one year ago, and everyone was gushing the way they are for these 3 this year. The following year for both of these two, their production was nowhere nearly as impressive, and Vick looks like he might be getting run out of town. I think as defensive coordinators watch more tape, they learn how to neutralize these guys.

Again not saying these guys will not be great, but a single season does not a career make.

Russell Wilson is more scrambling QB than a running QB. That's how I see Manuel and T. Wilson...guys who can buy time with their legs. Obviously their styles are way different, but it's the same principle.

RGIII and Kaepernick are running QBs who will eventually have to knock it off due to getting injured to often. Other than size, those two are very similar.

Edited by 1billsfan

Ruselll Wilson proved height isn't eveything, but he does have large hands... as does Drew Brees. Chip Kelly seems to think it's very important. That said, Tyler Wilson is my favorite prospect aside from this point. Dunno if he's worth the 8th (let alone the first) but, he is my favorite.

Kaeprnick may be a running QB, but the size makes him different than RG3. he'll still take a bit of a beating but not as much. Cam Newton even moreso... no way you can say he's a scrambler... he's a runner. But he's huge... Having a solid build will go a long way. Not sure it even matters much whether you run. Roethlisberger is a scrambler, not a runner and he takes a beating.. only his size allowed him to last this long. Vick gets hurt more in the pocket getting sacked and throwing the ball than he ever does running it. I think if you hold onto the ball for any reason, you better be built solid.

What is the issue that bothers you about the size of his hands? How has it affected his game so far? If you prefer Manuel over Wilson because of his upside I can understand your position. But the hand issue has me perplexed? There is a good possibility that Nix passed on Russell Wilson in the third round because of his height. That was a mistake. The game tapes are more reliable clues to success than most physical traits and measurables.

What is the issue that bothers you about the size of his hands? How has it affected his game so far? If you prefer Manuel over Wilson because of his upside I can understand your position. But the hand issue has me perplexed? There is a good possibility that Nix passed on Russell Wilson in the third round because of his height. That was a mistake. The game tapes are more reliable clues to success than most physical traits and measurables.

While it's not the most important factor in evaluating QB's potential at the next level, hand size is certainly something that scouts consider. Hand size can be important for ball security, pump fakes, and the ability to get that nice rotation on the ball and create velocity without having to "muscle" your throws. Again, not the most important metric, but still a consideration. Some great QB's have had small hands....without doing research Kurt Warner comes to mind. I have read, however, that most scouts prefer at least 9.5" hands.

While it's not the most important factor in evaluating QB's potential at the next level, hand size is certainly something that scouts consider. Hand size can be important for ball security, pump fakes, and the ability to get that nice rotation on the ball and create velocity without having to "muscle" your throws. Again, not the most important metric, but still a consideration. Some great QB's have had small hands....without doing research Kurt Warner comes to mind. I have read, however, that most scouts prefer at least 9.5" hands.

I understand why scouts would prefer a larger size over a smaller size, big hands vs small hands, taller vs shorter, stout vs lean etc. If the particular physcial trait hasn't affected the qb's performances in his three or four year stint then it shouldn't be much of a consideration.

There was a Redskin qb who played for a number of teams, Tony Banks. He had small hands and a history of dropping the ball, especially when taking the snaps. So I do recognize that in a percentage of qbs it is an issue to consider when drafting a qb.I suspect that Nix hesitated on picking Russell Wilson because of his height. That was a mistake especially for a player who had a very good college career where his height didn't hinder him. In this case he focused on what the player didn't have instead of what he could do. It was a costly mistake for the franchise and a very evident mistake after watching his team beat the Bills 50-17 in Toronto.

Link

of all the first rnd QBs this would be best.

Ruselll Wilson proved height isn't eveything, but he does have large hands... as does Drew Brees. Chip Kelly seems to think it's very important. That said, Tyler Wilson is my favorite prospect aside from this point. Dunno if he's worth the 8th (let alone the first) but, he is my favorite.

Kaeprnick may be a running QB, but the size makes him different than RG3. he'll still take a bit of a beating but not as much. Cam Newton even moreso... no way you can say he's a scrambler... he's a runner. But he's huge... Having a solid build will go a long way. Not sure it even matters much whether you run. Roethlisberger is a scrambler, not a runner and he takes a beating.. only his size allowed him to last this long. Vick gets hurt more in the pocket getting sacked and throwing the ball than he ever does running it. I think if you hold onto the ball for any reason, you better be built solid.

Kaepernick looks like a clone of Jim Kelly. Built like a Linebacker.

EJ all day...The Russell Wilson reference is not a good one though, because even though he is small, his hands are the same size, if not bigger than Andrew Luck

http://en.wikipedia..../Russell_Wilson

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Andrew_Luck

scroll down to the pre draft measurables and look at that hand size...He has tall man hands, evidenced by the fact that his hands are bigger than Lucks

Edited by missthe kgun

I could be and probably am wrong. Doesn't Troy Aikmen have teeny tiny hands?