Mark Schlereth and Super Bowl XXVI

BobbyC81

I remember Steve Tasker talking about this and saying he def felt it gave Washington extra motivation going into the game. Wow we really couldn't do anything right during those Super Bowls :wallbash:

Do you honestly think the Redskins weren't amped to play that game, that they needed more motivation? That winning the Super Bowl wasn't enough? I never buy that, if its some random non-conference game that stuff might help but the playoffs and big games players are already pretty motivated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think the Redskins weren't amped to play that game, that they needed more motivation? That winning the Super Bowl wasn't enough? I never buy that, if its some random non-conference game that stuff might help but the playoffs and big games players are already pretty motivated.

Never know when extra material can help. Whether its turning the dial up on Tuesday afternoons practice, or on the 3rd down play of the drive 4 minutes into the second quarter.... It's hard to be 110% for 60 minutes, and for the week prior, for several weeks.

Even if it serves only to help unify the group - sometimes a common enemy is better than a common reward....

You just never know.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with Bruce playing on one leg, Mitch Frerotte subbing for John Davis, Dwight Drane for Leonard Smith and referees declaring an open season on Andre. Yup, it was all Dickerson opening up his big mouth.

Let what go? Oh .... That's right. I forgot that Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly are tattooed to 30% of Buffalo Bills fans' lower backs. Give me a break. They're both morons who couldn't win a Lombardi trophy. Once we finally win one, these guys will finally be as irrelevant as they ought to be. Meh.

You must think Fitzpatrick is the Man & Fred Jackson the best Bills RB Ever ? Nobody has blind worship & the only person that is Blind is you, I watched those guys play with the rest of the Bills of the late 80's & 90's & they gave Buffalo pride, we where relevant then, now we are treated like the Packers & Buccaneers where in the 80's

There are people on this forum who respect our Past Players Cookie Gilchrist, Jack Kemp, Joe DeLamielleure, Fred Smerlas, OJ Simpson, Billy Shaw, Reggie McKenzie, Joe Ferguson & its just not the Old Timers or the SB teams Eric Moulds, Henry Jones, Doug Fluite, Chris Spielman Josh Reed to name some

You need to learn your past before you can speak about it because you sound like a the Moron when you do

Thank you for this comment. You don't need any more motivation when playing for the SB.

That was the biggest ass-whoopin' of the 4 Sb losses, IMO.

You must have missed the SB the following year. Yes the skins handles us pretty easily but the Cowboys bent us over a barrel without any lube.

While most players probably didn’t need any extra motivation, every little bit helps.

Edited by cnico

You must think Fitzpatrick is the Man & Fred Jackson the best Bills RB Ever ? Nobody has blind worship & the only person that is Blind is you, I watched those guys play with the rest of the Bills of the late 80's & 90's & they gave Buffalo pride, we where relevant then, now we are treated like the Packers & Buccaneers where in the 80's

There are people on this forum who respect our Past Players Cookie Gilchrist, Jack Kemp, Joe DeLamielleure, Fred Smerlas, OJ Simpson, Billy Shaw, Reggie McKenzie, Joe Ferguson & its just not the Old Timers or the SB teams Eric Moulds, Henry Jones, Doug Fluite, Chris Spielman Josh Reed to name some

You need to learn your past before you can speak about it because you sound like a the Moron when you do

You added Doug Flutie to your list. You win.

From my memory, the Bills lost that Super Bowl because their DBs couldn't cover the Smurfs but still, unnecessary bulletin board material was provided by a Bills' coach that pissed off their opponents.

There were a plethora of reasons we lost that game. Badly outplayed in every facet. Couldn't protect Kelly very well and when we did Beebe had some terrible drops (luckily for him people only remember the Leon Lett play though). And of course the refs didn't do us any favors.

I don't think the K-Gun was ever really the same since Denver blitzed the hell out of us the week before. Wasn't Metzelars our leading WR the year after?

Never know when extra material can help. Whether its turning the dial up on Tuesday afternoons practice, or on the 3rd down play of the drive 4 minutes into the second quarter.... It's hard to be 110% for 60 minutes, and for the week prior, for several weeks.

Even if it serves only to help unify the group - sometimes a common enemy is better than a common reward....

You just never know.

I actually thought the Dickerson comments were common knowledge amongst Bills fans...certainly a big part of Bills-Super Bowl lore.

And, to your point, some may not think it meant much, but the comments are what led to Marv Levy canning "the coach", Chuck Dickerson. They had some impact somewhere. I heard Marv talk about this once, and he was incredulous over the comments. He heaped a ton of praise on Dickerson's knowledge (probably aware that the Coach was making a name for himself, post Bills, bad mouthing Marv), but said that he had spent considerable time, the week before the team left for the Super Bowl, preaching to his players to be careful about what they say to the media, be respectful of your oppenant, becasue any perceived slight would be blown out of proportion. So, he was dismayed to hear one of his trusted coaches turning around and doing exactly what he had asked his players not to do.

In all fairness to Dickerson, I don't think he was trying to insult the Redskins, but was just trying to be "old school" football coach...it kind of backfired on him.

Its unfortunate that people like Mark Schelreth are on TV. Just because that guy has won a few Superbowls, he spews garbage out of his mouth. I guess when you've won the big game you have the right to do so. I hate that guy! He talks too much crap!

I always thought the Redskins DBs hitting the Bills WRs before the ball got to them had the biggest impact on that game.

Its unfortunate that people like Mark Schelreth are on TV. Just because that guy has won a few Superbowls, he spews garbage out of his mouth. I guess when you've won the big game you have the right to do so. I hate that guy! He talks too much crap!

I wonder why he doesn't talk about the advantage he had by pissing himself before the game.

Yah I would say he's pretty much the poster boy of worthless espn analysts. Tries to be opinionated but really he's just chalk full of meaningless old school cliches, and not the least bit interesting.

I believe there is a lot of truth in this. The team that finally wins this will be Gods in this area. The 90's players will still be adored, but it couldl be very different.

Even if it's with Fitz at QB?

The Bills gotta win one of these SB's so we don't have to revist those 4 sad bites at the apple every! - single! - year!!

Gotta get there 1st !

Hard to believe that in a Super Bowl, something like that would provide even more motivation.

Nonetheless, Dickerson was a loud-mouthed blowhard and I'm glad Marv canned his ass that offseason…except that Dickerson then polluted the Buffalo airwaves as a result of his firing.

Dickerson was better on WGR than Schoop and Bulldog anyday. He said some stupid stuff on the air but at least he was pro Bills.

He took a couple of calls of mine and actually let me get my questions in before cutting me off.

After he left I basically stop listing to WGR.

In all fairness to Dickerson, I don't think he was trying to insult the Redskins, but was just trying to be "old school" football coach...it kind of backfired on him.

That's why I've never understood the whole "controversy" around this. They were really more complimentary than anything.

That's why I've never understood the whole "controversy" around this. They were really more complimentary than anything.

Yeah, whou would have thunk a guy who goes by the name of "stink" would be so sensitive about his pig like qualities? :lol:

Dickerson was better on WGR than Schoop and Bulldog anyday. He said some stupid stuff on the air but at least he was pro Bills.

He took a couple of calls of mine and actually let me get my questions in before cutting me off.

After he left I basically stop listing to WGR.

You know, I though "the Coach" was a blowhard...but he knew the game, and how to break it down, much better than anyone else in WNY sports media. I am not ashamed to say, I used to feel like I learned from listening to him. He talked about aspects of the game that nobody else could touch.

Let what go? Oh .... That's right. I forgot that Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly are tattooed to 30% of Buffalo Bills fans' lower backs. Give me a break. They're both morons who couldn't win a Lombardi trophy. Once we finally win one, these guys will finally be as irrelevant as they ought to be. Meh.

Awesome Post! I agre 100%!