Sabres suck too...

Dragonborn10

Lindy has been the problem for a while now, I don't watch much anymore and this year is a wash anyway, so I now am on strike.

I think Ruff is a really good coach but i think he has entered Andy Reid territory, where a change might be best for both parties. Your message eventually gets old.

By the way, isn't it only 5 games? I hated the last 2 Sabres teams because they were soft as cotton. At least this team has some grit. But it is still filled with such up and down players (I'm looking at you Drew). Still, it's a long season (thankfully not as long though).

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Ruff a lot...but I am starting to feel this more and more...I think Ruff would get hired in a second, and wouldn't be shocked to see him win somewhere else...but, after 14 years, and the same core of players, essentially, that have been underachieving for about 5 or 6 years, it may just be time for a change, just to change the chemistry on the team. Five games in to a new season, and it feels just like the last five years...not enough scoring, sloppy defensive play...while I didn't get to see the game yesterday (thanks Time Warner with no NHLN!), I listened to a fair amount of it. Vanek is hurt, again...when that happens, they are in trouble. We have a lot of our hopes tied up in Grigorenko turining in to the second coming of Mogilny..but conventional opinion about Ruff is that he doesn't know how to handle guys like Grigoroenko, who have a lot of offensive potential.

Well, not writing off this season at all, but kind of a bummer to be on 3 game losing skid, already!

Thing abot Ryan is, he can play so damn well, you kind of forget how bad he can look as well... I sometimes think he is fools gold.

I have no idea how to find this stat, but I would be willing to bet (assuming someone can find the info), that few goaltenders have given up more goals, over the last 5 years or so, in the final minute of a period. Enroth may not be the answer, but I do think they need to find a solid back-up.

When Enroth was playing really well (spring of 2011), I thought we had found our new Edwards/Sauve combination. Miller (Edwards) was the undiputed starter, but when he was on, Enroth (Sauve) was unbeleivably good...you just stick with him, until his hot hand cools. Unfortunately, Enroth, since then, just hasn't been the guy who can "steal" a game. When Miller is on, he can do that... of course, all that said, goaltending has not been the problem, so far, this year. Goal scoring is still the issue.

Good post Buf!

Not the same (even type) team of course but, the 'Hawks had to make that hard choice w/Denis Savard prior to their Cup run in 2010.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Their problems got worse when they threw all the money at mediocre free agents.

Team sure looks very average.

Don't worry, Saint Pegula will throw more money at the problem to fix it!

Its true, it has to be all Ruffs fault the team sucks, not the players. Just look at all the players that leave here and become Superstars in the league.

Biggest one to come to mind is MacArthur, who had a great start to last season and has become a starter for an equally bad Leafs team.

Its true, it has to be all Ruffs fault the team sucks, not the players. Just look at all the players that leave here and become Superstars in the league.

Biggest one to come to mind is MacArthur, who had a great start to last season and has become a starter for an equally bad Leafs team.

I think you are being sarcastic... there are only so many "superstars" to go around, but good teams manage to find ways to win, and clinch playoff spots with a bunch of good players too.

Not sure anyone is suggesting it is "all Ruff's fault". But, it is that old sports cliche "you can't fire all the players".

Personally, I think this team is talented enough that they shouldn't be missing the playoffs every other year... it isn't all Ruff, it isn't all the players, it isn't all Darcy...it isn't even all ownership. However, you are stuck with the players you have (for the most part), the core isn't going anywhere, the GM was just re-signed to a new long-term contract... if you keep losing or underachieving, you sometimes just have to change one of the parts in the equation.

It isn't necessarily fair, it happens all the time in sports...

Honestly, I would much prefer Chan Gailey here than more Lindy Ruff. Most critical player is your goalie. We have supposedly one of the top G's in the NHL and we can't make the playoffs. Now with Regier extended, Ruff is not going any where soon. This guy has 2 runs, one in 98 with Hasek, and one 8 years ago coming out of the last lock-out. No Cups, few playoff series wins, miss the playoffs more than make them and he is still here. He absolutely kills offensive creativity. Last Friday the Hurricanes game, he benches Grigorenko and plays Hecht more. Should be fired just for that. WGR and media is intimidated by the guy too, never question anything about him. Chan they would rip, this guy nothing

Thing abot Ryan is, he can play so damn well, you kind of forget how bad he can look as well... I sometimes think he is fools gold.

I have no idea how to find this stat, but I would be willing to bet (assuming someone can find the info), that few goaltenders have given up more goals, over the last 5 years or so, in the final minute of a period. Enroth may not be the answer, but I do think they need to find a solid back-up.

When Enroth was playing really well (spring of 2011), I thought we had found our new Edwards/Sauve combination. Miller (Edwards) was the undiputed starter, but when he was on, Enroth (Sauve) was unbeleivably good...you just stick with him, until his hot hand cools. Unfortunately, Enroth, since then, just hasn't been the guy who can "steal" a game. When Miller is on, he can do that... of course, all that said, goaltending has not been the problem, so far, this year. Goal scoring is still the issue.

I agree Miller has has puzzling stretches, but he also has the ability to go on dominating runs, which is a requirement to win a Cup. But as you point out, if the Sabres can't figure out how to score goals that doesn't matter because they won't be anywhere near the playoffs.

It's kinda like the Bills -- if they don't address the QB issue, don't be surprised by another 6-10 season, no matter how many sacks Mario gets.

I agree Miller has has puzzling stretches, but he also has the ability to go on dominating runs, which is a requirement to win a Cup. But as you point out, if the Sabres can't figure out how to score goals that doesn't matter because they won't be anywhere near the playoffs.

It's kinda like the Bills -- if they don't address the QB issue, don't be surprised by another 6-10 season, no matter how many sacks Mario gets.

I think if they struggle even more earlier, Ruff will play the hell out of Miller to keep in contention. Miller will burn out, and the team collapses again. Enroth just doesn't appear to have it, and Ruff will loose all confidence in the guy

For the same reason I'm sure Grigs goes to Rochester, cause Ruff will want to play his more seasoned players no matter how little they contribute

and 2013 ;)

LoL... Ahhh, hope springs eternal for the Jays! Sabres, Bills, Leafs, and Cubs! LoL... ;-)

I mean look what money does... When old codger Wirtz died, they threw money @ the Blackhawks and bought themselves a Cup.

Really... BFLO has absolutely no superstars... It helps having them... Unless your team flukes through like the Kings did... (a first, 8th seed).

I think you are being sarcastic... there are only so many "superstars" to go around, but good teams manage to find ways to win, and clinch playoff spots with a bunch of good players too.

Not sure anyone is suggesting it is "all Ruff's fault". But, it is that old sports cliche "you can't fire all the players".

Personally, I think this team is talented enough that they shouldn't be missing the playoffs every other year... it isn't all Ruff, it isn't all the players, it isn't all Darcy...it isn't even all ownership. However, you are stuck with the players you have (for the most part), the core isn't going anywhere, the GM was just re-signed to a new long-term contract... if you keep losing or underachieving, you sometimes just have to change one of the parts in the equation.

It isn't necessarily fair, it happens all the time in sports...

I do not know... Something gnaws @ me and says: "Only Ruff can get this kinda production or better from this core.!

LoL... Ahhh, hope springs eternal for the Jays! Sabres, Bills, Leafs, and Cubs! LoL... ;-)

No way man, this year is different!!!!

I mean look what money does... When old codger Wirtz died, they threw money @ the Blackhawks and bought themselves a Cup.

Really... BFLO has absolutely no superstars... It helps having them... Unless your team flukes through like the Kings did... (a first, 8th seed).

The Blackhawks also had some Oiler luck in that they did get to pick a few times in the top few spots of the draft......

As for Superstars, when you look at the Sabres, its Miller. He is really good more then he is really bad, fans just make it out to be worse because they expect him to be perfect and when he isn't think that anyone is better. Outside of him, the closest "superstar" is Vanek, and he is a really good player, and he puts up numbers, but I am always leery on weither he can be viewed as a true superstar. Outside of Buffalo, very few people would pick him if they had a choice to assemble an All Star team. You don't picture him at the same level as Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, a Staal bros., a Stamkos, etc. When you look at a team like the Rangers, Flyers, Pens, or even the Canes, you see guys who are Superstars in the league. It was only a matter of time that the Canes would start playing better with their lineup

I think if they struggle even more earlier, Ruff will play the hell out of Miller to keep in contention. Miller will burn out, and the team collapses again. Enroth just doesn't appear to have it, and Ruff will loose all confidence in the guy

For the same reason I'm sure Grigs goes to Rochester, cause Ruff will want to play his more seasoned players no matter how little they contribute

except that he can't go down to Rochester, he isn't old enough to play there. he would have to go back to Juniors to play for patrick Roys Ramparts

They will have to make a decision on Grigs soon I believe... Like today??? That is if he goes back to Jrs. ??

They have til tomorrows game to decide. If he plays in 6 games this year is counted as a year for him in the NHL making his contract with the Sabres kick in, if he is sent down before tomorrows game (6th game of the season) then he will not count as having played a season in the NHL.

Honestly, I would much prefer Chan Gailey here than more Lindy Ruff. Most critical player is your goalie. We have supposedly one of the top G's in the NHL and we can't make the playoffs. Now with Regier extended, Ruff is not going any where soon. This guy has 2 runs, one in 98 with Hasek, and one 8 years ago coming out of the last lock-out. No Cups, few playoff series wins, miss the playoffs more than make them and he is still here. He absolutely kills offensive creativity. Last Friday the Hurricanes game, he benches Grigorenko and plays Hecht more. Should be fired just for that. WGR and media is intimidated by the guy too, never question anything about him. Chan they would rip, this guy nothing

There's talk that goalies are overrated and you're better spending your mega bucks elsewhere.

except that he can't go down to Rochester, he isn't old enough to play there. he would have to go back to Juniors to play for patrick Roys Ramparts

Well Rochester or juniors, he probably isn't long for the big leagues. I also believe his game grows and improves if he stays here. How does Grigs become NHL caliber playng lower level hockey is beyond me. Of course Ruff puts him on a line with Scott too yet.

You are right about stars, the club has none. Yeah Vanek is the only one who has a presence on the ice, the rest are just a bunch of mid-low level NHL players

Well Rochester or juniors, he probably isn't long for the big leagues. I also believe his game grows and improves if he stays here. How does Grigs become NHL caliber playng lower level hockey is beyond me. Of course Ruff puts him on a line with Scott too yet.

You are right about stars, the club has none. Yeah Vanek is the only one who has a presence on the ice, the rest are just a bunch of mid-low level NHL players

I agree... I am a firm believer of throwing the high first round picks right into the bigs! Only way to better their game is to play with the big dogs...

and 2013 ;)

yes! DICKEY THE BEST!

LoL... Ahhh, hope springs eternal for the Jays! Sabres, Bills, Leafs, and Cubs! lol!!

Difference is the Jays have actually won titles, and have been a competitive team in baseball's toughest division the past 20 years despite having little to show for it. I've never had a better feeling watching sports than the jays 92-93. Touch em all Joe!!!

I really think it is coaching. Watch, we let Lindy go and he will get snapped up in a heartbeat! And probably win ala Scottie Bowman with the Pens... Wallbash!

I just don't know if the prepare right. Another thing, I have always said Lindy sucks @ managing his goalies... BUT, I would have played it the same exact way against the Canes as he did last week.

Anyway, in 2 and 1/2 years... Do you think Kane is gonna come to BFLO? Lindy may be a liability in getting him... IMO, has a hard time with big name vets than the younger guys he can control...

Ruff needs to move on here,the message isn't happening here. The are one boring team to watch right now