Bill Polian Ruined my Day!

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today, and much to my delight Bill Polian was discussing the Buffalo Bills. The conversation began when a caller asked what Polian would do about the Bills' QB position. So here is the summary.

-Ryan Fitzpatrick is not good enough. He likes the guy, just like most of us, but the Bills need better play out of the QB position.

-Matt Flynn because of his height and arm strength can only succeed in the West Coast Offense, so unless we run that he is not an option.

-He thought that Alex Smith was sub-par.

-Then the final kicker, Bill Polian does not believe there is a franchise QB in this years draft.

This reminds of a "chose your own adventure" book, except that no matter what decision you chose you end up losing. Maybe Polian is wrong. We can only hope. Unfortunately for the Bills, he had a long career as a GM because he was right a lot more often then he was wrong.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the plus side, he loves the Marrone hire. Polian may have a bias however, as he and Marrone both attended the same high school. He also thinks that Pettine was a good hire, and mentioned that Dareus is best suited for the 3-4 defense. He didn't say anything about Hackett, but no one has said much about Hackett. Pat Kirwain last week had a lot of nice things to say about his dad. I think this year bills fans need to hope for the best but need to be prepared for the worst.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

On the plus side, he loves the Marrone hire. Polian may have a bias however, as he and Marrone both attended the same high school. He also thinks that Pettine was a good hire, and mentioned that Dareus is best suited for the 3-4 defense. He didn't say anything about Hackett, but no one has said much about Hackett. Pat Kirwain last week had a lot of nice things to say about his dad. I think this year bills fans need to hope for the best but need to be prepared for the worst.

that is whAt we do every year

I could not agree with Polian more.

What you do is build the rest of the team....get an aging QB with a decent track record (Hasslebeck) on a 1 year deal, draft a decent prospect this year and a better prospect next year. If the rest of the team is really good, they might "Dilfer" a good season.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today, and much to my delight Bill Polian was discussing the Buffalo Bills. The conversation began when a caller asked what Polian would do about the Bills' QB position. So here is the summary.

-Ryan Fitzpatrick is not good enough. He likes the guy, just like most of us, but the Bills need better play out of the QB position.

-Matt Flynn because of his height and arm strength can only succeed in the West Coast Offense, so unless we run that he is not an option.

-He thought that Alex Smith was sub-par.

-Then the final kicker, Bill Polian does not believe there is a franchise QB in this years draft.

This reminds of a "chose your own adventure" book, except that no matter what decision you chose you end up losing. Maybe Polian is wrong. We can only hope. Unfortunately, for the Bills he had a long career as a GM because he was right a lot more often then he was wrong.

Polian is absolutly correct bout this crop of QB's STAY AWAY!!!

We still have to draft a QB anyway, ok maybe not in the first but round 2 yes.

We dont have a QB on the roster we can win with. We have to do our best to find a guy that can can move the chains and win.

I hope the Bills get lucky like Seattle did, that's draft a guy they think can do it.

Bills lost 4 games where they scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. Not defending Fitz too much but a half decent defense and maybe we contend for a playoff spot.

The number of points is the wrong stat to focus in on. I'm sure (without looking it up), Fits had either a key 3 and out or turnover that cost the Bills those games. He doesn't win. The defense will be better if the Bills get a better QB.

Bill Polian....hmmm...the name sounds familiar. Oh wait, isn't he the guy that thought Curtis Painter was an adequate back-up for #18?

The bottom line - no one really knows (i.e. Russell Wilson...pick # 75 last year)

Off topic, but you could make a case that every GM makes mistakes. After all, who is the backup QB in New England? And how many snaps has he played the past 2 years?

The draft remains an inexact science, but some play the game better than others. Polian's record before his son took more control was stellar. To say anything different is foolish.

I think most logical people feel the same way. The risk is that we reach to draft someone at #8, who flops and we look back 4 years from now and go "well that was a waste...fire Marrone"

I would be much happier sticking with Fitz this year. Let some other team reach for a QB. Use #8 on a good LB. Resign Byrd and Levitre. And plan on picking a QB next year. This just isnt the right year for it.

Off topic, but you could make a case that every GM makes mistakes. After all, who is the backup QB in New England? And how many snaps has he played the past 2 years?

The draft remains an inexact science, but some play the game better than others. Polian's record before his son took more control was stellar. To say anything different is foolish.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm just saying Polian could be wrong. We could acquire Flynn or Smith & they could be stellar. Or we could draft Nassib or someone else & they could emerge. We do know this though...Fitz has some good qualities, but when we need him the most, he goes AWOL. We don't have a choice...we need to replace him.

Why is everyone so obsessed with taking a QB in a draft that simply doesn't have any top "elite" prospects. This makes no sense to me as investing in any rookie QB that is not up to par will set the team back 3-4 years while trying to make an inferior player work out.

The Bills have other obvious needs besides a QB,such as LBers, a top WR, a TE, depth on the O line.BPA would fit the bill. I would be fine with the Bills filling other needs,and then taking someone like Tyler Bray (or not) in the 2nd or 3rd to develop while letting Fitz or some top FA play in 2013. (his arm reminds me of Jay Cutler)

ESPN currently has 2 QB's going in the first round, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, and neither are worthy of a first round pick at this point. The Bills have other more pressing needs IMHO.

Bills lost 4 games where they scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. Not defending Fitz too much but a half decent defense and maybe we contend for a playoff spot.

Did you happen to catch the last Miami game, or the Titans game where there was still time to win the game by running the hurry up offense (2 min drill)? In several occasions this past season Fitz looked totally inept trying to make a play when it counted most.

The Titans game really showed me the Bills coaching was horrid, and getting worse then in 2010. Fitz had a min to go 60 yards for a FG against one of the very worst defenses in the league. Not only didn't he succeed in getting 60 yards in 60 seconds, he couldn't even get a first down! 4 consecutive pass plays that couldn't even gain 10 yards against the 27th ranked defense.

This was a totally different look then what I saw Fitz do in 2010 against the Ravens, Steelers, in OT, also against the Bengals. Even in 2012 he looked so much better against the Patriots 34-31 win. Gailey pushing Fitz to a 1-8 record the last half of the season while playing injured in 2012 did some damage on many levels.

Hopefully some new coaching can correct some serious flaws in the Bills offense, and QB.

Edited by FeartheLosing

-Ryan Fitzpatrick is not good enough.Bills need better play out of the QB position.

Maybe Polian is wrong. We can only hope. Unfortunately, for the Bills he had a long career as a GM because he was right a lot more often then he was wrong.

HELLO !! But try to tell the part of there not being a franchise QB in this years draft to a Bills fan.

They will tell you how wrong Mr Pollian is & how much he sucked at what ever point they are trying to make differently than he has said. But i will have to side with him & have.

I just hope our FO people are smart enough to see it too & go for the BPA that would have a immediate impact for the good of the team & choose a QB in a later round where they are truly rated & don't jump just because we need a QB.

Next years class will be a lot better for QB's than this year i just hope they (Nix- Brandon - Marrone) realize & do something like bring back T Jack or a FA as a stop gap until next years draft or get a QB at the position he is ranked as a developmental back up for a year until we can get a franchise QB