Bill Polian Ruined my Day!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auburn BB, thanks for the post. Interesting insights from Polian.

I'm not a draft geek so let me ask... How many drafts don't include, in retrospect, at least one NFL caliber QB?

My hunch is that it's not many but I could be wrong.

No problem. As bills fans we have been sharing our opinions about what the bills should do for weeks. I just thought it would be nice to tell you guys what one of the best GMs ever thought about our QB situation. The one thing I didn't mention was how much respect Polian has for Buffalo. I could tell he has a lot of fond memories of Buffalo.

If Polian was such a genius, he would have found Tom Brady in the 5th round....

If the patriots knew what Tom Brady would become they would not have waited until the 6th round to get him. They got pretty lucky.

Hard to argue with much of what Polian said here. I agree that the best mode of attack is not to reach on a QB this year but to enhance other areas of the team for which suitable reinforcenst and/or replacements may be available. For as weak as the QB class is, this draft is VERY deep at a number of other positions this year. In fact, I would be all for moving down to acquire extra picks this year.

I respect Bill Polian but none of the scouts had Russell Wilson pegged as a Franchise QB & remember Jamarcus Russell or Jeff George, Ryan Leaf.etc.. who where touted as Franchise QB

It might be best to wait three or four seasons before anointing anyone as a "franchise QB." And in spite of what you wrote, there were plenty of scouts and others who felt Russell Wilson had first round talent. The only knock on him I remember anyone bringing up was his height, not his abilities.

Sorry, but I'm to the point where I rather waste a pick in trying, than to waste another year watching Fitz choke. Does that make sense to you?

No. New coaches, new approach. So stick with Fitz for now. Not that he's likely to become Tom Brady. But maybe he becomes Alex Smith 2.0. Considering the dearth of real talent among this year's QB crop, I'd like to see linebackers, WRs and CBs added either through the draft, through trades or FA signings before settling for a QB who's a project. We already have enough of them.

Stop the mindset that we have to "commit" to a single QB from this draft for 3 to 4 years. The NFL has a rookie salary scale now. We should take a chance on several QBs this year and, if it doesn't work out, there's nothing to stop us from drafting more QBs next year. Even using first-rounders both years, because the money impact isn't that great anymore.

I would rather have an another losing season with a new QB than one with Fitz. We can get a run of the mill QB much cheaper than what Fitz is to be paid. At least there would be hope of the unknown with a new QB while we all know Fitz has no hope. Why not take a chance on Flynn or Smith for a few years while searching the draft for that franchise QB?

I love Auburn and Owasco Lake and all the bars in that area of the Finger Lakes,Auburn Bills Fan ! Polian is 100% right ! No QB's in draft ! Stay with Ryan this year , we liked him 2 years ago you liars !Do something in next years draft !Get WR,LB,and load up the O-line this year !SanFran is loaded on O-Line and they had no injuries this year !O-Line is where I would go !

I love Auburn and Owasco Lake and all the bars in that area of the Finger Lakes,Auburn Bills Fan ! Polian is 100% right ! No QB's in draft ! Stay with Ryan this year , we liked him 2 years ago you liars !

Since two years ago, by which you probably mean 1.5 years ago after the hot start, the Bills have gone 7-18. Factor in that hot start and they are STILL only 12-20 in the past two seasons. The O-Line has been phenomenal. The WRs and LBs are no great shakes but better teams have done more with the same level of WR talent and it starts with a QB who can hit them when they are wide f---ing open. Fitz cannot reliably do so. If he could we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I could not agree with Polian more.

What you do is build the rest of the team....get an aging QB with a decent track record (Hasslebeck) on a 1 year deal, draft a decent prospect this year and a better prospect next year. If the rest of the team is really good, they might "Dilfer" a good season.

id agree with this completely if none of the QBs in the draft are worth it.

Pick up a Jason Campbell, still draft a young QB in round 3-4 to groom. At the least, he can become a backup for the foreseeable future.

Then, next season, drop the bomb and give away the farm for the #1 guy.

id agree with this completely if none of the QBs in the draft are worth it.

Pick up a Jason Campbell, still draft a young QB in round 3-4 to groom. At the least, he can become a backup for the foreseeable future.

Then, next season, drop the bomb and give away the farm for the #1 guy.

This strategy sounds lovely in principle, but no one yet has convinced me that there is a rationale for a very bad 2013 team to trade away the pick that, for now, would be Manziel - presuming he even comes out. It takes two to make a deal, and I can't envision a scenario where the Bills hold the best cards, even if they want to give away the farm.

This strategy sounds lovely in principle, but no one yet has convinced me that there is a rationale for a very bad 2013 team to trade away the pick that, for now, would be Manziel - presuming he even comes out. It takes two to make a deal, and I can't envision a scenario where the Bills hold the best cards, even if they want to give away the farm.

i agree with that as well.

Again, if there aren't any real future franchise QBs in this draft (which I don't know enough to know that myself) then I'd say get away from the early QB and sure up the defense and WR positions for the time being.

I don't know if one of these QBs will do or not, but I'm sure they won't ALL be duds. We just have to find the right one.

i agree with that as well.

Again, if there aren't any real future franchise QBs in this draft (which I don't know enough to know that myself) then I'd say get away from the early QB and sure up the defense and WR positions for the time being.

I don't know if one of these QBs will do or not, but I'm sure they won't ALL be duds. We just have to find the right one.

Yeah. I think there will be someone good out of this draft, just because the demand is there for quality QBs and someone has to be willing enough to put in the work with his match of talent. I don't know who that will be. I like Geno Smith the best because of his accuracy, arm and TD/INT ratio, but there are other intriguing guys in the draft. Manuel is definitely one of them for me. None of these guys have zero question marks, but I don't know if you can say that of more than 5 players in any draft.

Yeah. I think there will be someone good out of this draft, just because the demand is there for quality QBs and someone has to be willing enough to put in the work with his match of talent. I don't know who that will be. I like Geno Smith the best because of his accuracy, arm and TD/INT ratio, but there are other intriguing guys in the draft. Manuel is definitely one of them for me. None of these guys have zero question marks, but I don't know if you can say that of more than 5 players in any draft.

yup. Someone will be good. Very good. It's a given. Maybe more. Just because there's no luck or RG3 doesn't mean there won't be 5-6 Big Bens in the draft.

I watched the Sr. Bowl last night and liked what I saw from Manuel as well. Everyone made some real boneheaded mistakes though. And I wasn't impressed with Nassib at all and the minimal playing time he recieved. I still trust this coaching staff about 500x more than I did Chan so were already in a better position.

I guess another way to look at this is if there truly was a franchise QB in this draft, there is no way he would make it past KC with the first pick.

+1 If there was a 'can't miss' QB in this draft, he gets snapped up by the Chiefs or any of the other 5 teams in front of us that need a QB. I think we need to take the BPA at a position of need, which is pretty much everything except RB, and the target a QB in Round 2. Who knows, maybe Glennon, Barkley or Nassib fall to us in round 2. In the meantime, we try to target a FA QB, recognizing that he's not going to be the next coming of Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady. At best we have to hope for a couple Neil O'Donnell or Vinny Testaverte years while we develop someone else.

Sorry, but I'm to the point where I rather waste a pick in trying, than to waste another year watching Fitz choke. Does that make sense to you?

I can stomach watching Fitz choke another year if I know that our franchise QB could possibly be sitting on our bench, learning. Without that, however distant, hope, I just can't go through another wasted year. If the Bills want to draft that "elite" QB prospect in the 2014 draft (do people even know what that would entail? I don't think so), then they can do that too.

They may not need to trade anywhere to get their guy in 2014. Odds are better than average they are top 10 next year.

I love Auburn and Owasco Lake and all the bars in that area of the Finger Lakes,Auburn Bills Fan ! Polian is 100% right ! No QB's in draft ! Stay with Ryan this year , we liked him 2 years ago you liars !Do something in next years draft !Get WR,LB,and load up the O-line this year !SanFran is loaded on O-Line and they had no injuries this year !O-Line is where I would go !

Yeah, it is a nice place to live. The only down side is the 2 1/2 hour drive to bills games.

Stop the mindset that we have to "commit" to a single QB from this draft for 3 to 4 years. The NFL has a rookie salary scale now. We should take a chance on several QBs this year and, if it doesn't work out, there's nothing to stop us from drafting more QBs next year. Even using first-rounders both years, because the money impact isn't that great anymore.

I wouldn't be opposed to the bills using back to back first rounders on QBs as long as they truly believe that both guys have franchise QB ability. I have the feeling that the best player available this year will be a defensive lineman.

I like Bill Polian, but let me be devils advocate here ... did he sense that Kaepernick or WIlson were franchise QB's? Probably not. He's referring to guys like Luck and RG3, none of which are playing in the SB next Sunday.

Kaepernick and Wilson were game changers this year and brought their teams to playoffs and Superbowl. Is there a candidate in this years group that rivals any of these guys? WHo knows. I say draft a QB this year and next, keep trying until we get it right and move heaven and earth to get the right guy.

There may be a diamond in the rough out there ... EJ Manuel?