Jason Campbell in FA

Mango

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They come here so they can gain wisdom from the likes of you and I.

:D

:D

Or they're jets fans trolling as bills fans because their message boards are a snoozefest. They sound like jets fans.

If you have one of those awesome - but it seems a caretaker plus a hope and a prayer rookie is the best bet in the real world.

Ahhhh so you have no idea about the landscape but are telling everyone he's not a viable option

I'm sorry. I had no idea this website was full of NFL talent evaluators. We've all seen what Campbell has done in this league.

He's not getting too much mention around here as a FA QB. The facts are Flacco won't hit the market, Alex Smith is a game manager at best, and Tavaris was horrendous in Minnesota for years. A 40 year old Favre put them in the NFC Championship game, while Tavaris couldn't average close to 200 yards per game through the air.

I would kick the tires on this. Get one of these QBs in the 2nd or 3rd. I like Manuel in the 3rd. Then if you are in a position to grab a guy next year you are free to do so. Worst case either Manuel or Campbell work out.

Given that there are no FRANCHISE QB's in this years draft i would hope our FO is bright enough to see that !! I hope we won't pass up a player in the first that could be another core player like Byrd for years to come just to grab a mediocre or a back up QB in the first !!

If for nothing else i think Campbell would be a good choice to bring in, he has a better arm than Fitz, as mobile as Fitz sine him to a 1 year contract & let him compete, then go after a REAL #1 QB next year .

Only time will tell which way the talking heads in B/Lo go & i for one think we will be drafting a QB in the first & will once again have a first round sitting the bench in a year . I ain't saying but i'm just saying !!

Campbell is better then fitz.

Here is a fun fact

Campbell was 11-7 as a starter for the raiders.

The 2010 team was coached by Tom Cable and went 8-8.

The 2011 team was coached by Hue Jackson and went 8-8.

They were not very talented teams so Campbell's 61% winning percentage on .500 teams is a strong point in his favor.

Again, as a stopgap starter/eventual backup/mentor to the quarterback of the future, Campbell is one of the best options now available.

I want to start ordering psychological profiles or commissioning academic studies on the posters who start the Jason Campbell threads every single offseason. I am convinced that the Jason Campbell threads might be a gateway to unlocking the mysteries of human nature. I suspect it's the same crowd who have since retired from the "sign Jeff Garcia" threads but I'd like to test that out as well.

One thing is for sure - they did not get to watch him every week during his Redskins career like i did. No better than Fitz and worse in some respects. Pass.

One thing is for sure - they did not get to watch him every week during his Redskins career like i did. No better than Fitz and worse in some respects. Pass.

I am interested in your perspective, but he seemed to me like a guy who was jerked around by Jim Zorn and was unlucky due to injury in a decent 2007 campaign. Tells us more.

Being in the DC area I just remember him too well with the Redskins. This guy is garbage...stay away. He is one of the reasons why Lovie is on the market. When the Redskins started Rex Grossman after Campbell was cut, Rex was a clear upgrade ...and Grossman is garbage.

Bingo! For as much as we severely need an upgrade at the QB position, this is really not the year to get excited about the possibility of that happening. The top three choices in free agency appear to be Matt Moore, Alex Smith and Campbell. None of these three -- especially Campbell! -- are the long-term answer. Acquiring any of them would only serve to keep the seat warm until a rookie (or -- gasp! -- a player not-to-be-drafted until 2014) is deemed ready to play. If that is the net goal with the acquisition of one of these free agenst, the best bet is to simply stick with Fitz for another year or 2 as he would operate in the same capacity.

I wouldn't go against the grain on this one Captain. They apparently dont like that around here.

No.

It's just that people here like intelligent discussion, not unsupported blanket statements or rebuttals that don't address the points raised.

Cappy is a good poster. He doesn't need your guidance.

What is your proposal for a stopgap starter/eventual backup/mentor to the quarterback of the future?

Fitz?

If so that's fine. I don't see it happening though.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I understand the desire to move on from Fitz, but isn't the point to replace him with a better QB rather than just a guy not named Fitz?

And what is your proposal for a stopgap starter/eventual backup/mentor to the quarterback of the future?

It's a given that the Bills are gonna draft a quarterback.

How else do they address the position?

Seems like the only real other options besides Campbell are Matt Moore and possibly Alex Smith in that role.

And what is your proposal for a stopgap starter/eventual backup/mentor to the quarterback of the future?

It's a given that the Bills are gonna draft a quarterback.

How else do they address the position?

Seems like the only real other options besides Campbell are Matt Moore and possibly Alex Smith in that role.

If Fitz is sent packing Campbell would be a reasonable veteran QB to bring in. But seeing as how dumping Fitz to bring in Campbell wouldn't save us on the cap (as far as I know) I don't see the point. Sure Campbell does some things better than Fitz, but Fitz does some things better than Campbell. It seems like a lateral move purely for the sake of making a move.

Supposing we dump Fitz I actually wouldn't mind taking a look at Colt McCoy assuming the Browns drop him.. I know Cle replaced him w/ Weedon, but Cle hasn't proven to me they know how to run a franchise and it's hard to hold McCoy's stats against him seeing as how the Brown's offense has been completely devoid of anything remotely resembling a weapon prior to drafting Richardson.

All of this in addition to drafting a QB prospect, of course.

If Fitz is sent packing Campbell would be a reasonable veteran QB to bring in. But seeing as how dumping Fitz to bring in Campbell wouldn't save us on the cap (as far as I know) I don't see the point.

I think unless Fitz restructures (which may be a given for all we know) he costs considerably more than Campbell would. He is due a $3MM roster bonus in March, and a $200k workout bonus. Surely Campbell isn't going to cost 7.5MM this year, and I'm sure the years would be lower than 5.

Fitz has already gotten his $10MM signing bonus, so that's dead money. It came in a 2011 contract extension so I am reasonably certain the first year of SB amortization happened that season, so it was to be spread out over 7 years. 10/7 = 10/7 = $1.43MM per year. So, roughly $3MM of it has been applied to 2011 and 2012 caps.

If they keep him, he costs

$1.43MM SB amortization

$3MM roster bonus

$4.25MM salary

$200K workout bonus

=~ $8.9MM total cost against the cap, $7.45MM actually spent this season

Ditch him, he costs

$7.15MM total SB accelerated dead cap money, NO further money spent.

So, yeah, it doesn't save a WHOLE lot against the cap (about $1.75MM, not factoring in the cost of bringing in Campbell) but it does save them a lot of money.

Via rotoworld

2013 contract: $4.25 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)

2014: $4.35 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)

2015: $7.2 million

2016: $8.75 million

2017: $9.45 million

No.

It's just that people here like intelligent discussion, not unsupported blanket statements or rebuttals that don't address the points raised.

Cappy is a good poster. He doesn't need your guidance.

What is your proposal for a stopgap starter/eventual backup/mentor to the quarterback of the future?

Fitz?

If so that's fine. I don't see it happening though.

So do you enjoy being an arrogant prick? I have a differing opinion than you and that's basically it.

I'm done with this topic. Campbell isn't the answer. Jackson would serve as a better backup IMO. Good day,

I understand the desire to move on from Fitz, but isn't the point to replace him with a better QB rather than just a guy not named Fitz?

ABF

So do you enjoy being an arrogant prick? I have a differing opinion than you and that's basically it.

I'm done with this topic. Campbell isn't the answer. Jackson would serve as a better backup IMO. Good day,

Backup ? As of now someone out of the fitz,Jackson,Moore,smith,Campbell group will be the starter next year