Jason Campbell in FA

Mango

I think unless Fitz restructures (which may be a given for all we know) he costs considerably more than Campbell would. He is due a $3MM roster bonus in March, and a $200k workout bonus. Surely Campbell isn't going to cost 7.5MM this year, and I'm sure the years would be lower than 5.

Fitz has already gotten his $10MM signing bonus, so that's dead money. It came in a 2011 contract extension so I am reasonably certain the first year of SB amortization happened that season, so it was to be spread out over 7 years. 10/7 = 10/7 = $1.43MM per year. So, roughly $3MM of it has been applied to 2011 and 2012 caps.

If they keep him, he costs

$1.43MM SB amortization

$3MM roster bonus

$4.25MM salary

$200K workout bonus

=~ $8.9MM total cost against the cap, $7.45MM actually spent this season

Ditch him, he costs

$7.15MM total SB accelerated dead cap money, NO further money spent.

So, yeah, it doesn't save a WHOLE lot against the cap (about $1.75MM, not factoring in the cost of bringing in Campbell) but it does save them a lot of money.

Via rotoworld

2013 contract: $4.25 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)

2014: $4.35 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)

2015: $7.2 million

2016: $8.75 million

2017: $9.45 million

I'm not sure how much of Fitz's salary we can keep off the cap. I've heard $450k and $4 mil depending on when they cut him and who you ask, but I haven't been able to confirm that from a reliable source. Therefore, even if we paid whoever replaces him significantly less, it might ultimately might account for more against the cap than if we just kept Fitz.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how much of Fitz's salary we can keep off the cap. I've heard $450k and $4 mil depending on when they cut him and who you ask, but I haven't been able to confirm that from a reliable source. Therefore, even if we paid whoever replaces him significantly less, it might ultimately might account for more against the cap than if we just kept Fitz.

But we will save cash, and not have a cap hit next year

So do you enjoy being an arrogant prick? I have a differing opinion than you and that's basically it.

I'm done with this topic. Campbell isn't the answer. Jackson would serve as a better backup IMO. Good day,

I don't think anyone here thinks Campbell is the answer at all. They think he can be a decent caretaker with mid-long term backup potential, and also someone who is there so that the Bills aren't just handing a rookie the job, which looks bad in most scenarios where the guy isn't a unanimous franchise QB prospect. Given what he did with a pretty lousy Raiders team I think he could handle that job.

Cut him before March and none of it hits the cap. Salary is not guaranteed unless you're a star or Mark Sanchez, and doesn't go on the books until the season begins. The bonus is a one-shot deal that hits in March.

It will cost the bills more money against the cap to cut fritz and sign another. New save roughly 450,000 in cap space by cutting him. Signing a QB will cost a few mill. Cutting fritz will save the team roughly 10million dollars, which is money that can be used in guaranteed money toward another FA. We know fitz sucks. Another QB has a chance not to suck. Replacing fritz with a QB that can make all the throws is the most important thing IMO. With fritz, our play calling is limited and the opposing defense can play 9 in the box because NO ONE is afraid of fritz beating them deep. No one.

It will cost the bills more money against the cap to cut fritz and sign another. New save roughly 450,000 in cap space by cutting him. Signing a QB will cost a few mill. Cutting fritz will save the team roughly 10million dollars, which is money that can be used in guaranteed money toward another FA. We know fitz sucks. Another QB has a chance not to suck. Replacing fritz with a QB that can make all the throws is the most important thing IMO. With fritz, our play calling is limited and the opposing defense can play 9 in the box because NO ONE is afraid of fritz beating them deep. No one.

How does it not save the $1.75MM that I got from the math above?

So do you enjoy being an arrogant prick? I have a differing opinion than you and that's basically it.

I'm done with this topic. Campbell isn't the answer. Jackson would serve as a better backup IMO. Good day,

You should sand paper your body. You need thicker skin. You have your opinion. Others have their opinion. When you disagree, you go back and forth on the forums. You might get pissed. You might not. Sjbf isn't an arrogant prick. He's one of the most respected posters here. Because you and him disagree on a topic and he's coming at you, makes him an arrogant price?

On the subject....ok, you don't like Jason Campbell. A QB that has a few seasons at or above a .500 winning percentage. Our current QB has never. He has a weak arm and sucks. Now you say Tavaris Jackson is a better option. Then you don't back it up with any reasons. Why is tjack a better backup option than Campbell?

The more I think about it, he makes the most sense. The QBs in the draft suck. The best FA QB might not even be a FA and will cost 8+ mill per. Campbell would be cheap and allow us to run a normal playbook. He can make all the throws and has decent mobility. Of we can sign him to a 1-2 year deal worth 2-3 mill per, it's a steal IMO. While it sucks that we won't be competing for a SB next year while still not having our QB of the future, we can build up our talent level at other positions in the draft and draft the QB next year. That's taking a step forward. Drafting a QB in the 1st this season is the worst case scenario. They'll likely never be great and we'd have bypassed adding another possibly great player (Jordan, mingo, Moore, milliner, etc) in order to grab a best case, middle of the road starter. It's not flashy, but slow and steady can win the race.

How does it not save the $1.75MM that I got from the math above?

I don't know, nor do I care. I've read several other posts on this and other message boards that state we save around .5 mill. If its 1.75, good.

The ESPN bobbleheads ranked Campbell as the #2 quarterback free agent. I liked his play in Oakland.

Consider, the fact if the Bills cut Fitz before March 1st, I believe he may be at the bottom of prospective free agent Quarterbacks. I I would doubt anyone would sign Fitz with an eye on him being a starter. The tape like it or hate it on Campbell, looks better.

As mentioned Campbell actually had a winning record in Oakland. Fitz will never get his to .500. Ever!

Campbell will be pursued, and the Bills would be lucky to get his services, no matter how limited they are. If he's going to be an eventual clipboard holder, I'll take him

His biggest negative IMO isn't his game. It's his ability to stay healthy (see eric wood).

I want to start ordering psychological profiles or commissioning academic studies on the posters who start the Jason Campbell threads every single offseason. I am convinced that the Jason Campbell threads might be a gateway to unlocking the mysteries of human nature. I suspect it's the same crowd who have since retired from the "sign Jeff Garcia" threads but I'd like to test that out as well.

If he hasn't neglected himselfd I would lean towards Jeff George.

:lol: