don't make them like they used to thread

Pete

What items do you think used to be better made?

For me- two come to mind-

Levi's. When I was a kid, a pair would last me a year- even though I would play street hockey in them, football, climb fences, etc. Now I find they tear easily, and rarely last 6 months. Also, jeans used to fit properly. For the love of God, can I get a pair of Levi's that doesn't show the crack of my ass? No baggy jeans please, and I am not a fat ass that needs loose fitting. I just want a 1970's pair of Levis.

Lighters-remember when concert goers would hold their lighters? Try doing that now. Lighters are inferior today. It is a short flame, and they run out quick. Thank you Beavis and Butthead and reactionary, kneejerk zealots.

What item do you feel is inferior today?

Popular music.

So much of the stuff that gets mainstream success is so completely artistically bankrupt and sonically terrible, I'm convinced that many people just sort of pretend it's good because they want music to be a part of their lives but don't know how or don't have the energy to seek out anything other than what is puked upon them by the major entertainment corporations.

Edited by gringo starr

Levi's.

Well !@#$ you, buddy.

In all seriousness, buy the 501 shrink-to-fit. I'm a skinny little ****, so I just buy the 511's and they still hang off my ass, but a lot of my friends buy the 501 STFs and love them.

As far as lighters go, you're largely right. Although you can still get high quality zippos that have a big, windproof flame.

And I largely agree with gringo regarding popular music. While the pop music of the 80's and 90's wasn't much better than it is today, at least they tried.

Others:

Pots and pans

Dishes

Lightbulbs

Toilets (those low-flow things are crap [no pun intended])

Edited by LeviF91

We had the same washing machine for my whole childhood and it never broke down.

As an adult we are on our third machine and the current one has had major repairs (luckily covered by warranty) three times. Every one we have had has been terrible.

Definitely appliances. We just updated the kitchen to all stainless steel. Out of the four major appliances, two of them had quality issues right out of the gate. My oven's door handle snapped off on one side because they used a plastic fastener to connect the oven door to the handle/trim instead of a metal one. In my refrigerator's case, one of the screws that secured the decorative door hinge caps was shipped in a stripped state and an SOB to take out. The warranty repair shop had to order a whole new hinge.

For all of the cost cutting that they've been doing on appliances, it amazes me that the prices are so much higher than they were even just 10 years ago.

Definitely appliances. We just updated the kitchen to all stainless steel. Out of the four major appliances, two of them had quality issues right out of the gate. My oven's door handle snapped off on one side because they used a plastic fastener to connect the oven door to the handle/trim instead of a metal one. In my refrigerator's case, one of the screws that secured the decorative door hinge caps was shipped in a stripped state and an SOB to take out. The warranty repair shop had to order a whole new hinge.

For all of the cost cutting that they've been doing on appliances, it amazes me that the prices are so much higher than they were even just 10 years ago.

I agree 100%. For example- Kitchen Aid mixers used to be made by Hobart and were industrial strength. 25 year old Kitchen Aid mixers blow away the new $350 ones.

Lightbulbs

Light bulbs are designed obsolesence. There is a light bulb in California that has been on almost continuously the past 112 years. We have the technology for light bulbs that last a lifetime. But greedy mother!@#$ers have light bulbs engineered to expire often so we continually have to purchase them. How is that for progress?

Edited by Pete

Motors/small engines

Furniture

Tools

Anything steel

Hand tools

Houses/homes

television

Are you talking about the televisions themselves or TV programming? Because HDTVs are awesome. Way better than the old ones.

Are you talking about the televisions themselves or TV programming? Because HDTVs are awesome. Way better than the old ones.

the crap that is on it. It used to be you could be entertained, but now it is Thursday night. TBS has Family Guy on for 3 hours like the last 100 days this week, TNT has some cop drama, FX has crap or Two and a half men, USA has SVU, Spike something about gangsters, AMC something that is probably not much of a movie and not at all a classic, Lifetime has a show that the penis is a bad thing and should never be trusted, comedy central probably has Tosh.0 reruns or some new show they are trying to hype. The big four - reality tv, drama CSI show, light hearted comedy and something else fun but reality. Nick - spongebob, Discovery - moonshiners/fishing/"reality", History - pickers or pawn stars, TCM a good movie that is old, BET - Tyler Perry crap, Univision - Sabato Gigante.

I did not look at the listings, how right was i?

We had the same washing machine for my whole childhood and it never broke down.

As an adult we are on our third machine and the current one has had major repairs (luckily covered by warranty) three times. Every one we have had has been terrible.

Really... My 20 year old Kenmore (Whirlpool) is still going strong... The only thing that went on it was motor coupling (but that is only 11 bucks)... After about 6 years... Anyway, the new part was designed more reinforced than the OEM part. Actually, I got a spare one... I should be set for 30 years more, if the tub doesn't rot out first.

I agree 100%. For example- Kitchen Aid mixers used to be made by Hobart and were industrial strength. 25 year old Kitchen Aid mixers blow away the new $350 ones.

Light bulbs are designed obsolesence. There is a light bulb in California that has been on almost continuously the past 112 years. We have the technology for light bulbs that last a lifetime. But greedy mother!@#$ers have light bulbs engineered to expire often so we continually have to purchase them. How is that for progress?

Motors are still better now and more efficient and compact.

That light bulb in the Cali firehouse never gets shut off... I think it has a W filament and that filament is a very unique and redundant configuration... They make "rough service" bulbs. Just imagine what a light bulb would cost with tungsten, multiple filaments...

Oh: Kids... They don't make them like they used to! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What items do you think used to be better made?

For me- two come to mind-

Levi's. When I was a kid, a pair would last me a year- even though I would play street hockey in them, football, climb fences, etc. Now I find they tear easily, and rarely last 6 months. Also, jeans used to fit properly. For the love of God, can I get a pair of Levi's that doesn't show the crack of my ass? No baggy jeans please, and I am not a fat ass that needs loose fitting. I just want a 1970's pair of Levis.

Lighters-remember when concert goers would hold their lighters? Try doing that now. Lighters are inferior today. It is a short flame, and they run out quick. Thank you Beavis and Butthead and reactionary, kneejerk zealots.

What item do you feel is inferior today?

Wait - what are you blaming on Beavis and Butthead?!?

Speaking of which, they do make them like they used to. The new ones last year were as funny, if not funnier, than the ones from 15-20 years ago.

Athletic footwear - - I went shopping for shoes for playing basketball last month. Went in several stores in a local mall. My choices were cheap plasticy stuff that felt like it would last a week, or super expensive neon colored stuff with some NBA player's endorsement.

I don't want a fashion statement, I want something functional that will last. My play does the talking, not my shoes.

Hey, somebody's on my lawn!

Athletic footwear - - I went shopping for shoes for playing basketball last month. Went in several stores in a local mall. My choices were cheap plasticy stuff that felt like it would last a week, or super expensive neon colored stuff with some NBA player's endorsement.

I don't want a fashion statement, I want something functional that will last. My play does the talking, not my shoes.

Hey, somebody's on my lawn!

Why not get a pair of Chuck Taylor's... They still make them the same way...??