What's wrong with this picture?

Beerball

The man should have had a set of paddles just in case?

If you click on the "View photos of the rescue" link it looks like he did have paddles and he was what...30 yards from a surfer who was standing in water that was waist high? Our tax dollars at work :doh:

The man should have had a set of paddles just in case?

People do screwy things on the water that they would not dare to do anywhere else. It would be like jumping in a car with a sketchy battery and no spare and driving to Oregon with no road map... Then there is the whole booze element. Yeah, to this guy's credit, he was just using the raft/dingy as short shuttle vessel... So probably no anchor on board either... Most of the time people just get in a boat "and go." I mean WTF? One time a guy looked @ me with a blank stare when asked how can you be out of fuel? Doesn't he know the 1/3 rule? 1/3 out, 1/3 in, and 1/3 in reserve. One time a small motor boat broke down in the channel right in front of uncoming shipping... The guy got all snarky and said: "What do you want me to do?" I replied back: "The first step to doing anything is to put down the beer bottle... Nothing like downing a cold one right before you are gonna get prow rammed by 9,000 tons