Buy The Union Label--Ooops, All The Unions Are Public Sector

3rdnlng

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/BIZ/301230391/Union-membership-falls-70-year-low?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Unions aren't for the working man anymore, they're for the five guys standing around the city street manhole. That and the county employee emulating the person at the DMV desk. It's f'n amazing, there are 6 times the union employees working for government than in industry.

Maybe that's the hidden benefit behind the shrinking economy and workforce. Not only does it keep the unemployment percentage inordinately low - it can help keep the union membership % artificially high. Win-win. Forward! Winning The Future. WTF!!!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.detroitne...|text|FRONTPAGE

Unions aren't for the working man anymore, they're for the five guys standing around the city street manhole. That and the county employee emulating the person at the DMV desk. It's f'n amazing, there are 6 times the union employees working for government than in industry.

Is it because the majority of working man's jobs were sent overseas? Guess the Chinese workers are tired of working for low wages...

http://www.cnn.com/2...-foxconn-union/

Edited by tomato can

Why do we conservatives care about a dying breed? Only 11% of workers are unionized & dropping. When austerity forces us to shrink government we will get rid of these unions in one fall swoop.

Because these union scumbags and the politicians they have purchased are a significant part of why our states are in such terrible fiscal condition. Why are you liberals in favor of paying higher taxes so some lazy government employee can get better benefits than you do?

Why do we conservatives care about a dying breed? Only 11% of workers are unionized & dropping. When austerity forces us to shrink government we will get rid of these unions in one fall swoop.

Yes those austerity measures in Europe sure went well :lol:

Not so fast.

Latino workers, demanding respect in a precarious job environment, helped boost the state's unionized workforce by 100,000 in 2012.

http://www.latimes.c...,0,795664.story

The republican party will become the dieing breed if they continue with the anti-union/labor policies. They are going to need the LATINO vote! And guess what? They are going to continue to unionize! That is just the beginning.

Concerning any jobs shipped overseas, why do you think it happened?

You didn't answer my question sir...

Edited by tomato can

Why are you liberals in favor of paying higher taxes so some lazy government employee can get better benefits than you do?

You the husband of the spoiled, entitled b*tch that got the Jet Blue flight diverted to Denver! You must have trained from the best! I hoped they gave you a refund on your seat upgrade. God, that has got to suck when the poor slobs of the world get a favorable deal.

"Begrudge, it is not just what's for dinner." I ho, I ho, off to teabagging you go!

Not so fast.

Latino workers, demanding respect in a precarious job environment, helped boost the state's unionized workforce by 100,000 in 2012.

http://www.latimes.c...,0,795664.story

The republican party will become the dieing breed if they continue with the anti-union/labor policies. They are going to need the LATINO vote! And guess what? They are going to continue to unionize! That is just the beginning.

You didn't answer my question sir...

Here's the answer you were looking for. BTW, it's from your link:

Union membership fell fairly consistently in Rust Belt states as manufacturing jobs, once a labor stronghold, were sent overseas. The decline in unionized manufacturing isn't likely to shift as companies make efforts to return manufacturing to the United States. Auto companies, for instance, have built new plants in the South, an area traditionally resistant to unionization.

Unions don't have the same appeal to workers who change jobs frequently and think of themselves as independent workers, said Michael Lotito, a partner at the labor law firm Littler Mendelson.

"Unions are really struggling to find a message that resonates with individuals such as it did with my father's generation," he said.

Now again, why do you think those jobs went overseas?

Because these union scumbags and the politicians they have purchased are a significant part of why our states are in such terrible fiscal condition. Why are you liberals in favor of paying higher taxes so some lazy government employee can get better benefits than you do?

The benefits package I have working in the private sector are much better than anything I ever had while working for the government. I'm not the biggest fan of public unions, but I don't think they're as bad as you've built them up to be in your head.

The benefits package I have working in the private sector are much better than anything I ever had while working for the government. I'm not the biggest fan of public unions, but I don't think they're as bad as you've built them up to be in your head.

Yes, maybe my head needs to stop building up hundreds of billions of unfunded pension liabilities.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324296604578175800831334338.html

Clearly your sample size of one is a much better indicator of the issue.

You the husband of the spoiled, entitled b*tch that got the Jet Blue flight diverted to Denver! You must have trained from the best! I hoped they gave you a refund on your seat upgrade. God, that has got to suck when the poor slobs of the world get a favorable deal.

"Begrudge, it is not just what's for dinner." I ho, I ho, off to teabagging you go!

Purple monkey dishwasher part deux?

Now again, why do you think those jobs went overseas?

It was right there in the link that I provided for you..........

Foxconn has become a focus for criticism of practices widespread in Chinese factories including illegal overtime, low pay and the use of underage workers.

Edited by tomato can

It was right there in the link that I provided for you..........

Foxconn has become a focus for criticism of practices widespread in Chinese factories including illegal overtime, low pay and the use of underage workers.

What, was that link in the other story you linked to? You need to make a clearer argument here than that. I know I for one, will not prove other people's points for them. In the LA Times article that I posted an excerpt from above, it states that some auto makers set up plants in the south with non union workers. Gee, I wonder if the migration of certain jobs here has something to do with unions?

What, was that link in the other story you linked to? You need to make a clearer argument here than that. I know I for one, will not prove other people's points for them. In the LA Times article that I posted an excerpt from above, it states that some auto makers set up plants in the south with non union workers. Gee, I wonder if the migration of certain jobs here has something to do with unions?

My point was crystal clear! You act as if these companies sent the jobs overseas and said to the Chinese workers in the sweat shop "hey the American worker doesn't want the $15 dollar per hour job and benefits so we are offering you all the same wages and benefits!" Those jobs were sent overseas because they were taking advantage of illegal overtime, low pay and the use of underage workers! They could not get away with that in America so they went to a place where they could. Its widespread in Chinese factories!

My point was crystal clear! You act as if these companies sent the jobs overseas and said to the Chinese workers in the sweat shop "hey the American worker doesn't want the $15 dollar per hour job and benefits so we are offering you all the same wages and benefits!" Those jobs were sent overseas because they were taking advantage of illegal overtime, low pay and the use of underage workers! They could not get away with that in America so they went to a place where they could. Its widespread in Chinese factories!

And they did this because...?

Can you read? When companies can get away with illegal overtime, low pay and the use of underage workers it leads to much higher profits! Its not rocket science!

Which has what to do with corrupt American unions? We have laws that effectively protect individuals from those abuses -- unless they are illegal immigrants in which case they have no chance to be part of the union anyway.

Really, tell me which unionized government agency uses underaged workers or doesn't allow bathroom breaks?

A unionized government is a communist government. These defined pension benefit plans that have gone belly up due to union greed investing in CDO & MBS & they expect 5-6% in a market where conservative investors are only getting 3% on a 30 year treasury.

What's illegal overtime for example, in China?

As you love to tell others :look it up" :w00t:

Wrong. Try again.

Go piss in someone else's ear and tell them its raining!

Really, tell me which unionized government agency uses underaged workers or doesn't allow bathroom breaks?

Read the whole thread if you are going to comment. No place in this thread did I say that unionized government agencies do that!

Edited by tomato can

As you love to tell others :look it up" :w00t:

Go piss in someone else's ear and tell them its raining!

Read the whole thread if you are going to comment. No place in this thread did I say that unionized government agencies do that!

Listen clown, you are the one that mentioned "illegal overtime" in China. Explain that or stfu. If you can't back up what you post then maybe you should reconsider posting anything here.

Try reading the thread title moron.

Who gives a !@#$ about China? The pertinent discussion has to do with bankrupting American cities and states.

Listen clown, you are the one that mentioned "illegal overtime" in China. Explain that or stfu. If you can't back up what you post then maybe you should reconsider posting anything here.

My neighbor used to work for a large U.S. chemical company and would periodcally be sent to work at their facilities in China.The stories he would tell were shocking.The company had a large warehouse built next to their manufacturing facility to house its workers.The floor of the warehouse was divided into cubicles with room dividers.They shared communal kitchens and bathrooms and were forced to work "until the job was done",many days this was 16-18 hours.He said they were paid the equivilant of 18 cents an hour.He no longer works for that company.Think about that next time you see the Made in China label.

Edited by el Tigre

My neighbor used to work for a large U.S. chemical company and would periodcally be sent to work at their facilities in China.The stories he would tell were shocking.The company had a large warehouse built next to their manufacturing facility to house its workers.The floor of the warehouse was divided into cubicles with room dividers.They shared communal kitchens and bathrooms and were forced to work "until the job was done",many days this was 16-18 hours.He said they were paid the equivilant of 18 cents an hour.He no longer works for that company.Think about that next time you see the Made in China label.

Don't try to guilt us. 18 cents an hour is a ton of $ in China! Don't hate "the free market". Lazy union slobs can starve to death!

You have entirely missed the point, el kitty. Next time, be relevant.