Mayock: 3 or 4 QBs will go in first round

Beerball

So if the Bills really love a QB and he is available at 8, they better take him

but they will be wrong, unless you are talking #8 in round 3.

Just because 4 QBs might be picked in round 1 does not mean that any of them are likely to be good NFL starting QBs. IMHO, none of these guys are good prospects (look at the 2011 draft where Ponder and Locker were questionable early picks, but both are as good or better than the guys in this draft).

Reaching and hoping for a QB out of this draft is a waste of time and a waste of a high draft choice. Find a good player at another position, try to get a stop-gap veteran (who is likely better than any of these questionable prospects) and try for a truly good QB prospect next year after 3-4 teams waste early picks on guys this year.

Edited by OldTimer1960

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say this every year because it's true every year.

There is always -- ALWAYS -- at least one QB who was OK in December, or maybe even a prospect in December, but then shoots up the draft charts because the experts get impressed. Last year it was Ryan Tannehill. The year before that, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker. I'm always amazed at the guys who get better every day without playing a game than they were playing every week.

Maybe some guys actually are worth it (Tannehill showed better than anyone expected, but let's not get carried away for one season); others make you wonder what everyone was so excited about. That's where I am on Glennon: he could be this year's Combine champion who never does anything else.

Locker was considered the number 1 pick entering his last year at Washington. Gabbert was considered the 2nd best QB prospect in that draft and worthy of a top 10 pick. If anything Ponder flew up draft boards. Mallet fell because of off the field issues.

Yep, the author of that NFP article says Nassib is worth a #1 pick. But in the same edition of National Football Post, they rate Nassib the 10th best QB prospect and have the Bills taking Glennon at #8 in their mock draft.

I'm pretty sure his positional ratings have not been updated in a while...He still has Jr's in there that are staying in school...

His comment on Nassib is very current though... B-)

I worry more about our line talent ! Our D-Line is above average and our O-Line is maybe average ! Wood and Glenn are very good , get your lines better before we bang our heads on a good qb !Levitre is good but he's not worth spending a ton of cap money on !Mike Williams was probably our biggest mistake in years ! It was huge !

Mike Williams was not the biggest bust in the last decade. That solely belongs to Aaron Maybin

You know it, I know it, he said it.

Bills will have to get 'their guy' in the first whether at 8, trade down or trade back in they better get a QB in the first unless they want more sloppy seconds.

I'm so confused! In this article, he said Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick had "almost risen to 1st round status" - but both were drafted in the 2nd round. Both have done very well.

He talks about how Ponder, Locker, Tannehill, and Weedon all went higher than experts had predicted - all went in the 1st - and all have under-whelmed to date.

He doesn't mention Russel Wilson, who has also done very well this year and of course was drafted in the 3rd round.

Is he arguing against drafting a QB in the 1st? Stating that pre-draft hype may inflate a QB's perceived draft value against all rational analysis? What?

Edited by Hopeful

I think there are probably 3 QB's the front office would consider taking in the first round at 8 - Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson; and probably in that order. If Barkley is there at 8, I think it would be very hard for Buffalo to pass on him - he's got all the experience, winning, and looks like he'd be a good NFL QB.

But, as I've said before - I'd be happy with any of Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nassib, Zac Dysert, Landry Jones, Mike Glennon, or Tyler Bray. I'd say all of them would be an upgrade over Fitz.

Look at it this way, guys. If you were Marrone and the front office and you had to make a defining choice like this, would you hitch your wagon to a guy you know simply because you know him? Consider the situation if this doesn't work out. With his college coaches who are total believers in him in charge, is Nassib likely to believe he has to compete and earn the job? If he fails, will Marrone and Hackett pull the plug soon enough? There are all sorts of reasons to beware this draft strategy.

The Bills new DC thought the Maybin signing was great when he coached him. Wait..........Huh........?

And your point is. As far as the Bills are considered he was Bust...and Maybin is out of the NFL as we speak. Similar to the minor "career" that Maybin had wiht the Jets, Big Mike too came back to the NFl and played for the Redskins for a season and seemed to have turned it around, before a Knee injury wiped him out of the NFL.