Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Forty-seven pages (so far...) of comments about a faux friend of a college football player. What a riveting 21st Century topic; of course, if the ND PR department says he isn't directly involved, that's good enough for another forty-seven pages....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this makes him fall to us in the draft, he will be even more of a monster trying to put this nonsense behind him. Don't be so hard on the lad, I recall many who were catfished into thinking JP was an NFL QB, Lee Evans a #1(or 2)receiver, Bills were going to win 10 and Cooter was a good coach!

I have done online dating.....If you have done it and you are questioning Te'o you just dont get it.

How to meet people from online are two ways......

(1) Online dating site (Match, Eharmony, OKCupid, just to name a few)

(2) A friend either on real life or online sets you up with someone.

Just for clarification---you can easily make online friends---for example through this board. You become friends with some people on here and start to talk about personal lives and other off topcs.

When dealing with (1) you may be a tad naive at first....but you eventually learn to be guarded to find out if this person is real or not. Through my years of using online dating sites I have had times where I got someone who tried to get me to send them money or later claim they are in a different country basically looking to get in this country. Then other people have lied about something fundamental with them like their age, having kids, being married, or their looks.

Have you ever watched CATFISH on MTV.....watch some time and you could understand how it could happen.

The rules of online dating are you want to meet face to face as soon as possible. If you are in the same town then 7-10 days, an hr or 2 away then maybe 2-3 weeks, 4 hrs away 2-4 weeks, and some place farther then you look at a month or two. If someone ends up standing you up for a face to face meeting excuses can happen, late cancellations can happen..If one is a single parent it can get more complicated because of sitter/child issues.....but the rules are 2 strikes and you are done. If they stood you up twice (this included last second cancellations)--stop communicating and move on.

In this case its (2)...

Because it appears as if this was a set up through a friend...you let your guard down because you trust your friend.

He said they talked on the phone...how...in this case Tu'u used a cousin as the voice. In other times you can get software that changes your voice from a man to a woman.

He regularly talks to her but because they are on opposite sides of the country its difficult to meet because as young collee kids they dont have a ton of spending money for air travel.

You are judging him because of this....but by the same logic then you should be judging the same players who got scammed by an agent or through some sort of Ponzi scheme.

Even though Te'o says he didnt know.......here are the possibilities of why...

(1) He is still in the closet as gay...due to peer pressure he fakes a gf to get his team mates off his back. Thus he was activly involved in this story line and it exploded

(2) He is very shy and not good at reading women. The women he meets on campus he isnt sure if they are real or are gold diggers looking for fame or fortune through him....thus he is very guarded. Someone off campus who doesnt know him is judging him just for him and not his fame.

(3) Te'o lost confidence with his love life and shared this with Tu'u. Tu'u felt sorry for him and wanted to help his self esteem and create this profile to help him gain confidence and not be depressed.

(4) Te'o fabricated this for some unexplainable reason to try and gain more fame and exposure for the NFL draft. With him being the star of a top ranked notre dame team and with this story he was set to make a lot more money through advertizing dollars besides the NFL money he could make. He would become a top 10 ad dollar NFL player easily.

Was this a hoax that he was involved with...I honestly doubt it. I think he was caught up in this. What I wonder is why.

More has come out that there were other people being taken by this fake profile. One caught on when meetings were planned but she didnt show but Tu'u happened to be there.

The teo interview. If your still baffled how this could happen - read it. Walks through the whole process that I've vaguely outlined, but with their personal details. Loooong read.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8859544

I read about half of it. Way too long. I'm still baffled on how this could have happened. How could this girl have been so intimate with him? She basically sacrificed any social life she had (by talking every night, all night) just to continue this ruse? Talk about commitment, unless she truly developed feelings for him, but didn't want to tell him what she had really been doing so killed herself off. And who was the brother that T'eo kept talking to? Couldn't have been Ronaiah because he would have recognized his voice. And why did she sell the lie of her existence to other people? Sure, to make it more believable, but then she'd have to start remember what part to play with who.

And people continue bringing up this Catfish show. I've never seen it. But are the fake relationships on there even 10% as complex as this one and do they last 4 years?

IF (and I know it's a big if) it happened exactly the way Te'o explained to Jeremy Schaap...I'll say this much...This Tuiasosopo dude is a special kind of ass****...What kind of enormous POS thinks this is OK to pull on someone? B-)

I'm sure the real fun will start once the lawyers get involved and lawsuits start popping up. So far we've only heard one side of this story and from one directly involved.

Edited by kas23

I read about half of it. Way too long. I'm still baffled on how this could have happened. How could this girl have been so intimate with him? She basically sacrificed any social life she had (by talking every night, all night) just to continue this ruse? Talk about commitment, unless she truly developed feelings for him, but didn't want to tell him what she had really been doing so killed herself off. And who was the brother that T'eo kept talking to? Couldn't have been Ronaiah because he would have recognized his voice. And why did she sell the lie of her existence to other people? Sure, to make it more believable, but then she'd have to start remember what part to play with who.

And people continue bringing up this Catfish show. I've never seen it. But are the fake relationships on there even 10% as complex as this one and do they last 4 years?

Assuming everything happened as Te'o alleges, isn't it possible that the woman he was on the phone with also developed legitimate feelings for him?

And yes, these "catfish" relationships are typically as complex as the scenario outlined by Te'o.

Well, the documentary that spawned it ("Catfish" as well) involved a woman around 40 that had over a dozen fake profiles, would send Nev who is in his mid twenties I'm guessing (the creator and subject of the documentary) pictures that her little "sister" would paint, care packages, etc. She also claimed that they were opening a gallery for the girls paintings and that she just moved to a horse farm. The girl that this woman was claiming to be was a relative that she no longer had contact with. As soon and Nev and the crew showed up, this woman claimed that the girl was in rehab for alcohol and wasn't around. The ending is pretty eye-opening.

Most of these cases involve people that have low self esteem and are filling some sort of void in their life. Here's a YouTube vides so you can get a gist of what the documentary is all about since I'm not that good at explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq_Ha99qXdc

And the Wiki page for the show:

https://www.google.c...-XAx5B4kXWnhPNg

EDIT: I tried finding a video of the interview at the end of the documentary explaining how they came up with the term "Catfish" but I couldn't find it. If i come across it, I'll definitely post it here.

I'd recommend watching that documentary if you get a chance, it'll really help everyone understand Manti's situation a little bit better.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

The people who say Teo must be stupid for falling for this strike me as, well, stupid. This was a very elaborate hoax that even media didn't pick up on.

And as far as motivation of the perpetrator casting doubt on Te'o, why aren't people as obsessively interested in a public interview or disclosure from Renaiah, as they were from Te'o?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The people who say Teo must be stupid for falling for this strike me as, well, stupid. This was a very elaborate hoax that even media didn't pick up on.

And as far as motivation of the perpetrator casting doubt on Te'o, why aren't people as obsessively interested in a public interview or disclosure from Renaiah, as they were from Te'o?

Cause people wanted blood from teo on this. Most will move on, some will still grasp at anything they can cut him with.

I have done online dating.....If you have done it and you are questioning Te'o you just dont get it.

How to meet people from online are two ways......

(1) Online dating site (Match, Eharmony, OKCupid, just to name a few)

(2) A friend either on real life or online sets you up with someone.

Just for clarification---you can easily make online friends---for example through this board. You become friends with some people on here and start to talk about personal lives and other off topcs.

When dealing with (1) you may be a tad naive at first....but you eventually learn to be guarded to find out if this person is real or not. Through my years of using online dating sites I have had times where I got someone who tried to get me to send them money or later claim they are in a different country basically looking to get in this country. Then other people have lied about something fundamental with them like their age, having kids, being married, or their looks.

Have you ever watched CATFISH on MTV.....watch some time and you could understand how it could happen.

The rules of online dating are you want to meet face to face as soon as possible. If you are in the same town then 7-10 days, an hr or 2 away then maybe 2-3 weeks, 4 hrs away 2-4 weeks, and some place farther then you look at a month or two. If someone ends up standing you up for a face to face meeting excuses can happen, late cancellations can happen..If one is a single parent it can get more complicated because of sitter/child issues.....but the rules are 2 strikes and you are done. If they stood you up twice (this included last second cancellations)--stop communicating and move on.

In this case its (2)...

Because it appears as if this was a set up through a friend...you let your guard down because you trust your friend.

He said they talked on the phone...how...in this case Tu'u used a cousin as the voice. In other times you can get software that changes your voice from a man to a woman.

He regularly talks to her but because they are on opposite sides of the country its difficult to meet because as young collee kids they dont have a ton of spending money for air travel.

You are judging him because of this....but by the same logic then you should be judging the same players who got scammed by an agent or through some sort of Ponzi scheme.

Even though Te'o says he didnt know.......here are the possibilities of why...

(1) He is still in the closet as gay...due to peer pressure he fakes a gf to get his team mates off his back. Thus he was activly involved in this story line and it exploded

(2) He is very shy and not good at reading women. The women he meets on campus he isnt sure if they are real or are gold diggers looking for fame or fortune through him....thus he is very guarded. Someone off campus who doesnt know him is judging him just for him and not his fame.

(3) Te'o lost confidence with his love life and shared this with Tu'u. Tu'u felt sorry for him and wanted to help his self esteem and create this profile to help him gain confidence and not be depressed.

(4) Te'o fabricated this for some unexplainable reason to try and gain more fame and exposure for the NFL draft. With him being the star of a top ranked notre dame team and with this story he was set to make a lot more money through advertizing dollars besides the NFL money he could make. He would become a top 10 ad dollar NFL player easily.

Was this a hoax that he was involved with...I honestly doubt it. I think he was caught up in this. What I wonder is why.

More has come out that there were other people being taken by this fake profile. One caught on when meetings were planned but she didnt show but Tu'u happened to be there.

I like the Internet because it doesn't make me read a lot.

It looks at this point like those who theorized upthread about a successful hoax that Te'o bought into and embellished on were right.

In fact, Manti used the word embellished in his interview with Schapp.

In his own words he admitted that he gave the impression that he met Lennay and fostered that impression (for plausible reasons) but also embellished some of the details of their relationship. I'm guessing for instance that we won't see any proof of 8 hour phone calls, etc.

And of course once he knew that he had been fooled, he didn't immediately come forth with this information (also for plausible reasons) and continued the fictitious narrative (again for plausible reasons).

It also looks like the Te'o camp was hurt by the fact that they had the opportunity to beat Deadspin to the punch but chose not to do so. This was a tactical error. The Te'o camp was in serious denial if they thought that this story wouldn't eventually break. They moved too slowly and the 50-60 hours of silence did not suggest a simple, plausible truth. This in spite of the fact that his story is in fact, plausible. The long silence only provided fuel to the negative beliefs that Team Manti were trying to re-configure the truth to fit their own story.

Nevertheless, I find his story mostly plausible.

If everyone buys that Manti was fooled but also embellished (again his words) the relationship, the discussion boils down to another simple crux:

To what degree did Manti willingly foster this narrative as a way of capitalizing on good publicity? Did he take it too far? Do the anonymous criticisms of some of his teammates that he was a publicity seeker hold some truth?

We may very well never know the answers to these questions.

I'll predict that Manti fans will see zero fault in his actions while people with a natural and healthy skepticism will see the argument that Manti ran too hard and too far with this ball.

I think he should sue the crap out of this guy who did it. He played poorly in the most important game of his life. He was publicly humiliated and could slip in the draft costing him millions of dollars. All of this because some sick sick waste of breath thought it would be funny to humiliate a good trusting Christian Mormon young man and didn't know when to quit. I hope someone hurts that SOB real bad.