New Eng-"LAND"

josephfrei

Here's more arrogance from Boston area writers. This is in response to the Bills related link from TBD Jan.13, 2013 (go there for full story):

Doug Marrone might pay off for the Bills

http://bostonglobe.c...VfGL/story.html

Does it ever occur to anyone what nice little financial advantage, fair or unfair, it still is to have not just a behemoth-sized urban market to pull from (Boston), but also be the one only NFL team in their state, AND to have a market encompassing how many OTHER states?!

I know the NFL has tried to address the market inequality issue, but here's hoping that Marrone is the coach who can finally do more with a whole lot less ...($).

Edited by Yonder_d7

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 people live in new hampshire vermont and maine combined. Four of them dont have TVs

I can imagine people saying something similar about what we have here...(Buffalo, Rochester, and ?). Then there's Connecticut/Rhode Island which probably figure in to some some degree.

I really hope so actually. Not because I want him. I know it would make him suffer not having nice places to go out to in Buffalo. Would be great to see him suffer in any way possible.

The cherry on the parfait would be Brady in Buffalo and Giselle in a brown banlon pantsuit leading a revised version of "Talkin' Proud."

Interesting data from Sports Stats Overload:

Top 5 Smallest NFL TV Markets

1. Green Bay - Market #70. Definitely has to be one of the early teams, because no way in the world would the NFL go into market #70.

2. New Orleans - Market #53. Pre-Katrina, New Orleans was in the mid-40s of market size.

3. Buffalo - Market #51. Buffalo has slowly slid down the ranker.

4. Jacksonville - Market #47. When Jacksonville joined the league in 1995, they were the second smallest NFL market. Combine Jacksonville's growth with Katrina, and Buffalo's shrinkage, and now they're 4.

5. Cincinnati - #34 - Not showing much growth, but will not be passed by any of the smaller four anytime soon.

Interesting that the last two Super Bowl champs are from the SMALLEST markets.

While we're at it, the largest markets without an NFL team:

#2 Los Angeles - well-documented lack of passion for NFL; this is the new go-to town when teams threaten to leave.

#19 Orlando - With three teams already in Florida, and, those three not showing the overwhelming desire to sell out their stadiums, Orlando does not foresee any NFL-ing.

#20 Sacramento - The California state capitol is two hours from Bay Area that hosts two teams (Niners and Raiders).

#22 Portland - Portlanders have shown interest, giving the NFL the nudge that they are interested in becoming home to a team. Those NFL wheels turn slowly.

Here's more arrogance from Boston area writers. This is in response to the Bills related link from TBD Jan. 13, 2013 (go there for full story) :

Doug Marrone might pay off for the Bills

http://bostonglobe.c...VfGL/story.html

Does it ever occur to anyone what nice little financial advantage, fair or unfair, it still is to have not just a behemoth-sized urban market to pull from (Boston), but also be the one only NFL team in their state, AND to have a market encompassing how many OTHER states?!

I know the NFL has tried to address the market inequality issue, but here's hoping that Marrone is the coach who can finally do more with a whole lot less ...($).

Wait, I thought the Toronto/Ontario/Buffalo/Rochester market was top 5?

And how is it that Marrone has "a whole lot less....$" to work with than other teams?

Wait, I thought the Toronto/Ontario/Buffalo/Rochester market was top 5?

IIRC, market size generally only takes US figures into consideration. If the US-Canada border were only a state border, then the Bills would be close to top 5 in market size.