First time ever that all 4 conference final teams are the same

I looked at who's left in the AFC this year & remember a similiar event took place last season. It turns out it was the first time that all 4 conference final teams are the same for 2 consecutive years in either conference. So the theory that there's always new teams that have a chance to win the Superbowl every year seems to be a changing.

I looked at who's left in the AFC this year & remember a similiar event took place last season. It turns out it was the first time that all 4 conference final teams are the same for 2 consecutive years in either conference. So the theory that there's always new teams that have a chance to win the Superbowl every year seems to be a changing.

Or it's just one year, and times aren't changing.

I don't know, 2 in a row isn't really a pattern. With all the changes teams go through every year, I can't see this happening 3 years in a row

I can safely say right now that Denver / NE have a better than average chance to make it back because of Brady / Manning, Houston Baltimore is a good chance. People might have forgotten but Baltimore missed a kick with 11 seconds left last season that would of tied the game up 23-23 if made. They lost 23-20 to NE.

Or it's just one year, and times aren't changing.

Yep.

Think it is more like this^

Not to mention the reason Denver is there is because they went out and sign a guy named Manning. You can not fault Denver or the league for this move. it was smart and calculated.

I doubt the Ravens are there next year.

Houston is going to get challeneged by Indy.

And the Pats wont be there because Buffalo will be!! Ha

Well it's 2 years in a row & it's never happened before, so there's a debatable pattern argument here.

Right. I get that it's back to back. I was just saying that its just a single repeat. This year could've easily gone other directions. On that token last year could as well. There are only so many ways to arrange team names so statistically speaking this SHOULD happen sometimes by dumb luck. It's only happened once. I don't think that marks a changing nfl.

The steelers and colts could very easily overtake the ravens and texans spots. Either wildcard game could is really a toss up any given year. A manning or Brady injury. Heck all it takes is one of then being a 3 seed and they are playing in wildcard weekend which as I mentioned is a lot of luck.

Highly unlikely it's a start of a trend. Far more likely its just the simple probability that it should happen by chance.

I question this premise. The 1970s, before the playoffs expanded, were dominated by six teams, viz.:

NFC: Cowboys, Redskins, Packers, Niners

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Browns

NFC: Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings, Rams

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Bengals

NFC: Cardinals, Vikings, Rams, Redskins

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills

NFC: Cardinals, Vikings, Rams, Cowboys

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Colts, Bengals

NFC: Cowboys, Vikings, Rams, Redskins

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Colts, Patriots

NFC: Cowboys, Vikings, Rams, Bears

AFC: Steelers, Raiders, Colts, Broncos

Good catch. People forget Denver went to this stage last year with tebow too.

Well it's 2 years in a row & it's never happened before, so there's a debatable pattern argument here.

2 yrs in a row isnt a pattern.

First of all...Denver is a vastly different team from last year. The other teams are strong teams.

basically its that the 4 division winners advance to the conference semifinals. I have a feeling this has happened before.....basically in the wild card round the two home teams won.

2 yrs in a row isnt a pattern.

First of all...Denver is a vastly different team from last year. The other teams are strong teams.

basically its that the 4 division winners advance to the conference semifinals. I have a feeling this has happened before.....basically in the wild card round the two home teams won.

See posts above....

Brilliantly dry humor?

:-) Just saying... The way it was supposed to be, all teams big and small would fight equally... Doesn't seem to be turning out that way... Big markets are ruling. Green Bay gets a pass on two fronts. The market is regionalized and they don't have to play by the rules all others have to (they are community owned) play by.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have said it it for years... Thank the cap, fewer variety of teams win. Baseball is the only sport that gets it right.

that is actually not the reason.......

If you look back.....

in the 70s....the schedulin for mat was that the 1st and 4th placed played each other and the 2nd and 3rd played each other. If a team is strong in its division where they could go 6-2 in their division (sweep the bottom two, split 2nd and 3rd) ...outside their division they play 4 3rd and 4th place teams, and play 3 1st and a 2nd place team.....they go 3-0 against the 4th place teams and win1/ 2 against the rest they end up with 10/11 wins and likely WC spot.

In the mid 80s-early 2000s.... they changed the schedule format where the 1st place played 2 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. a 4th place team played 4th and 5th place teams. Thus the 4th place and 1st place played 4 different games......thus this produced pendulum swings in standings if the 4th place team was an up and comming team. During this teams you would see a lot of worst to first flipping in standings.

Since 2002....division teams only differ schedule by 2 games...not enough to cause swings in the results. Thus you dont have much of the worst to first flips than you did before. If they instead did a schedule of 1st and 2nd play the other 1st and 2nd in conference and 3rd and 4th played 3rd and 4th...thus having 4 games different......you would see more swings in standings. This could happen if they go to an 18 game schedule.