Let's start officially measuring sentiment on TBD

As a frequent user of this site, I'd like to start measuring sentiment--on a few "official" targeted threads--for historical analysis.

I often find myself wondering the same thing another user asked in a thread Jan. 9 concerning what we were saying about Gailey's hiring three years ago. I just couldn't remember what the overall sentiment was.

If anyone is interested, and assuming the mods are OK with some sort of official tag, I plan to create sentiment threads on crucial events. The first one will be on our HC/OC/DC combo in a week or so, pre-draft predictions in March (my theory is only a very small handful will predict with any decent accuracy), post-draft sentiment in May, and pre-season sentiment in July. There will be an allotted time, and then each thread will be closed.

At the end of the season, and each era, we can revisit these threads and laugh at each other...or congratulate ourselves...and maybe learn a thing or two about football trends and the psychology of fandom.

I think it will be fun, and informative, to compare reality with our past opinions on just a few threads, as opposed to having to search through a gazillion.

Does anyone think this idea doesn't suck?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the potentially nearly 100 threads, the ones in which people wrote things without real reflection? That's my point. Further, these threads often have facts, knee-jerk reactions, etc.

How about one that allows official sentiment--sentiment only, no facts or questions--after the emotional dust has cleared and after we have some facts? So we don't have to search through a gazillion of them?

I for one remember the general sentiment well. No one was excited about Gailey. Most wanted Cowher or Shanahan or some other big-name coach. But, we were all glad to be rid of Jauron.

I think the sentiment is pretty similar about Marrone. Maybe more excitment than Gailey because he is fresher, younger, without as much baggage. But I think few expect much better than 7-9 next year . . . which is where we've been more or less for 10 years.

But, I don't object to a thread that asks specifically for thoughts on the future, without a lot of snarky replies or shouting matches or name-calling. Just what you think, not what you think of other posters' thoughts.

I'm game.

can you describe your methodology? Will it be like the University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index?

No specifics yet, but rather thinking maybe some well-designed polls and questions or something like that. After closing, we'll measure it as smartly as possible. Any ideas here would be welcome. But I don't think it's rocket science. Just one place for a limited time where we can officially bloviate, and some sort of follow-up where we try to show any trends.

You mean the potentially nearly 100 threads, the ones in which people wrote things without real reflection? That's my point. Further, these threads often have facts, knee-jerk reactions, etc.

How about one that allows official sentiment--sentiment only, no facts or questions--after the emotional dust has cleared and after we have some facts? So we don't have to search through a gazillion of them?

I admit I am known as an overall doom and gloomer here. I will say that for the first time in a while I am genuinely excited about this teams direction. I will temper my enthusiasm with a wait and see attitude but I am optimistic with the young blood and direction being infused in running this ball club,