Let's start officially measuring sentiment on TBD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm !@#$ing hopeful about this young coaching staff.

I like the potential of Marrone & his young Nathaniel Hackett. I like the K-Gun roots of the offense. I like the focus on speed as in operational speed not player speed.

I think Pettine is a strong hire. As long as he is not a "system" guy but is smart enough to use the blocks he has now to come up with an attacking scheme of defense. The difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 base is deteriorating in the NFL. I don't want to see another ill-conceived transition. Which Pettine atleast says he agrees with; more Hope.

And I HATE THAT I am hopeful about this.

I Hate it!

I don't want to be hopeful anymore I want to see a winning record and go to a playoff game.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I believe the overall sentiment on Gailey was very negative when a poster on here leaked it before the media. Most of the people thought the guy was nuts when he posted it. The fact that he lost his first 8 games in a row did not help either.

I think you are correct. I had to convince myself into liking the hire. After interviewing Cower, etc. getting a no-name in Galley was a disappointment. A good OC, not a good HC. Also, I think it was "Nevergiveup" who leaked it. Anyone know what happened to the most mysterious and accurate poster in TBD history?!?!

Here is what happens with every draft/hire/free agent signing...

Dozens post said move is awesome/terrible.

Each week dozens post that the last OTA/mini-camp/training camp/pre-season game/regular game proves them right.

Depending how good/bad the last event was determines the number of trolls who come out of their hiding places to declare how done they are with the Bills.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Here is what happens with every draft/hire/free agent signing...

Dozens post said move is awesome/terrible.

Each week dozens post that the last OTA/mini-camp/training camp/pre-season game/regular game proves them right.

Depending how good/bad the last event was determines the number of trolls who come out of their hiding places to declare how done they are with the Bills.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

PTR

Sad but true

To clarify, this thread is not for the sentiment but to talk about our sentiment for "officially" measuring sentiment in the future. :flirt:

Mods--if you're on board with this, please say how we could do this. Don't quite understand the procedure. Do we pin it? Or do we have some magical official stamp? Or just do nothing special, other than a "sentiment" tag? I presume I can close a thread myself?

Buffalo Rumblings does periodic polls of its readers on the GM and the HC. The OP should just take responsibility to post a new poll on the first of every month asking TBDers to provide their opinion of the state of the team, on a scale of 1 to 5. Make it clear in the wording that the poll is measuring confidence in the direction of the team moving forward, rather than about the ability of the team to win the Super Bowl at this point in time.

During the season, post the poll midweek or later to eliminate some of the highs and lows that come from the all too rare exhilaration of victory, or that other feeling.

Post a line graph or box and whisker (like a stock ticker chart) plot of the results over time in each poll question.

Above all, keep the question simple.

Done!

kj

I don't think it should necessarily be done on a strict schedule so much as it should be done for any "significant event."

For instance, let's say Kelsay or Merriman is cut in the final cutdown of the preseason. That might be a time to do an opinion topic. Or when the Bills sign or lose a free agent would be another example.

I think also that the topic titles would have to follow a strict format so they are identifiable to regular readers.

Finally the administrator (Just in Atlanta) could just inventory the URLs for these topics. This way there wouldn't necessarily have to be involvement by the administrators/moderators of The Stadium Wall.

Just some thoughts.

To clarify, this thread is not for the sentiment but to talk about our sentiment for "officially" measuring sentiment in the future. :flirt:

Mods--if you're on board with this, please say how we could do this. Don't quite understand the procedure. Do we pin it? Or do we have some magical official stamp? Or just do nothing special, other than a "sentiment" tag? I presume I can close a thread myself?

Ok then.... I like the idea of there being one place to put this:

So I'll just let you know how I feel..... I LOVE THE NEW DIRECTION!!!! May not work, but I'm optimistic it will.... playoffs by end of year two.

And to see other sentiments as well.... as long as people don't get ripped for having those sentiments, positive or negative... keep it as a pure gauge of peoples feelings on the team and not how people feel about other peoples feelings on the team...

I don't think it should necessarily be done on a strict schedule so much as it should be done for any "significant event."

For instance, let's say Kelsay or Merriman is cut in the final cutdown of the preseason. That might be a time to do an opinion topic. Or when the Bills sign or lose a free agent would be another example.

I think also that the topic titles would have to follow a strict format so they are identifiable to regular readers.

Finally the administrator (Just in Atlanta) could just inventory the URLs for these topics. This way there wouldn't necessarily have to be involvement by the administrators/moderators of The Stadium Wall.

Just some thoughts.

I agree with not having a schedule. Big events, and crucial periods, only. The fewer we have, the easier it will be. My point is, I don't want to have 12 a year--I want just a few so we can look back and think "What were we thinking" or "Damn I'm smart."

Ok then.... I like the idea of there being one place to put this:

And to see other sentiments as well.... as long as people don't get ripped for having those sentiments, positive or negative... keep it as a pure gauge of peoples feelings on the team and not how people feel about other peoples feelings on the team...

I agree. Keeping snark or sarcasm out will be tough. But hopefully we won't have debates or yelling. Just pure well-reasoned opinion. I'll be sure to post rules, which, of course, a handful of posters will ignore...but hopefully will be followed by most.

If you need any help designing how to measure let me know :). I have experience in the area

Of course!

But hopefully we won't have debates or yelling. Just pure well-reasoned opinion. I'll be sure to post rules, which, of course, a handful of posters will ignore...but hopefully will be followed by most.

You might ask Jim in Anchorage to be an advisor. He has lots of recent experience in people ignoring his rules.

As a frequent user of this site, I'd like to start measuring sentiment--on a few "official" targeted threads--for historical analysis.

I often find myself wondering the same thing another user asked in a thread Jan. 9 concerning what we were saying about Gailey's hiring three years ago. I just couldn't remember what the overall sentiment was.

If anyone is interested, and assuming the mods are OK with some sort of official tag, I plan to create sentiment threads on crucial events. The first one will be on our HC/OC/DC combo in a week or so, pre-draft predictions in March (my theory is only a very small handful will predict with any decent accuracy), post-draft sentiment in May, and pre-season sentiment in July. There will be an allotted time, and then each thread will be closed.

At the end of the season, and each era, we can revisit these threads and laugh at each other...or congratulate ourselves...and maybe learn a thing or two about football trends and the psychology of fandom.

I think it will be fun, and informative, to compare reality with our past opinions on just a few threads, as opposed to having to search through a gazillion.

Does anyone think this idea doesn't suck?

Good idea. The key is proper use of tags on new threads. It's your idea so you pick the tag and start the new thread when necessary.