Monte Kiffin for Defensive Coordinator?

This guy just left USC and reports are that he wants back in to the NFL. He is old at 72 but his record speaks for itself and he has defended alot of the college style offenses the last 4 years. This guy is a heavy weight at DC and would mesh well with our defensive personnel. He also isn't just a Tampon-2 guy. He uses that as his base defense in the secondary, but mixes alot of blitz packages and different defensive lines looks. He is also a guy who could pull in alot of quality defensive assistants into the mix and set us up with a core defensive philosophy which this team has been missing since Wade Phillips.

I like this idea!

During the preseason, he'd reveal almost nothing about the Bills' defensive schemes. During the regular season, he'd reveal a little more of the mind of Monte. But he'd hold some things in reserve, in order to be prepared for the postseason. During that postseason, he would show them even more of the mind of Monte. During the Super Bowl itself, he'd show them the full Monte! :o

Why did he leave his son's staff?

A) Because his son is a world class douchebag

B) Because he wanted back in the NFL

Feel free to order those as you like

Prob A was #1. And he wanted to win again, which will not happen at USC with his son in charge. If I'm a recruit who has to pick a Pac 12 school, I'm going to Stanford, UCLA or Oregon over USC.

You want to go back to the Tampa-2?

Depends. With the dline the Bills have yes. It worked in Tampa, Worked in Indy, Worked in Chicago. Some of the best defenses over the past 20+ years have been a variation of the tampa 2. It all depends on the players you have. The way Jauron coached it with the lack of talent we had on the dline of course it wasn't going to work. As for Kiffin no thank you though his defense at USC was brutal down the stretch. I dont see him getting much in the way of looks from the NFL

Depends. With the dline the Bills have yes. It worked in Tampa, Worked in Indy, Worked in Chicago. Some of the best defenses over the past 20+ years have been a variation of the tampa 2. It all depends on the players you have. The way Jauron coached it with the lack of talent we had on the dline of course it wasn't going to work. As for Kiffin no thank you though his defense at USC was brutal down the stretch. I dont see him getting much in the way of looks from the NFL

Well, it is true that posters were all salivating for the return of the 3-4 when Chan got here as it was high time to return to the defense that Wade Phillips had run in the past. I thought it was a big mistake, though.

Monte could do a lot with our front four. He needs athletic lb, and good cover cb's to make it work. The problem with Monte though is he relies on fast athletic lb's, and good scheme. We have been building bigger under Nix for a couple of years so we'd be moving back again. I'm not sure if Marone is as adjustable as reported if he will want to take this talent back to another scheme with other needed players. That would be a blow up.

As an aside, I've lived in Tampa for a very long time, and absolutely loved the guy. He was one of the main reasons the Bucs won a Superbowl. He had a top 10 defense for almost a decade. They've never come back to form since his exit.

Monte could do a lot with our front four. He needs athletic lb, and good cover cb's to make it work. The problem with Monte though is he relies on fast athletic lb's, and good scheme. We have been building bigger under Nix for a couple of years so we'd be moving back again. I'm not sure if Marone is as adjustable as reported if he will want to take this talent back to another scheme with other needed players. That would be a blow up.

As an aside, I've lived in Tampa for a very long time, and absolutely loved the guy. He was one of the main reasons the Bucs won a Superbowl. He had a top 10 defense for almost a decade. They've never come back to form since his exit.

Those old Bucs D's were great. Also had some really special talent on that team with Barber, Lynch, Sapp, Brooks...

Those old Bucs D's were great. Also had some really special talent on that team with Barber, Lynch, Sapp, Brooks...

The key to those Tampa 2 were a hard hitting Strong Safety (Lynch). That was one of the reasons Jauron jumped at #8 to pick Donte Whitner. Little did he know that Whitner would be an above average Safety in the NFL who had a big mouth.

Monte got his butt handed to him in the college game. He even had top-flight talent at USC and he couldn't stop the spread up-tempo attack

Do not want

Monte had a REALLY tough time against college spread offenses. Living here in LA I got to see it first hand. That wouldn't bode well against, let's say, the Patriots.

The key to those Tampa 2 were a hard hitting Strong Safety (Lynch). That was one of the reasons Jauron jumped at #8 to pick Donte Whitner. Little did he know that Whitner would be an above average Safety in the NFL who had a big mouth.

More importantly, and the key to that defense is the Mike Backer IMO

Jauron was a moron as he never did find top LBers for his defense. Kiffin had guys like Derrick Brooks 14 seasons, 11 pro bowls. Brooks didn't miss a single game in his career.

Agree 100%. I can't stand Lane and most daddy's boy coaches (Lil' Marty S, Todd Haley, Lil' Suntan Shanahan). Why the hell does Lane keep getting jobs? What has ever ever done as a coach? His dad worked like 95 years and never once became a head coach. Lane has done nothing and gets job after job. Even worse, his dad introduced Lane to his smoking hot wife. Lane Kiffin is a joke. So bitter and yes, so jealous.

This guy just left USC and reports are that he wants back in to the NFL. He is old at 72 but his record speaks for itself and he has defended alot of the college style offenses the last 4 years. This guy is a heavy weight at DC and would mesh well with our defensive personnel. He also isn't just a Tampon-2 guy. He uses that as his base defense in the secondary, but mixes alot of blitz packages and different defensive lines looks. He is also a guy who could pull in alot of quality defensive assistants into the mix and set us up with a core defensive philosophy which this team has been missing since Wade Phillips.

As long as we don't go back to midget players with no blitzing it would be good, USC did pressure a lot.