Who really thinks Nix is in charge with this hire?

We can argue and not know all day long whether this was a Brandon move, a Whaley move, or a move both of them jointly were in favor of. But this does not at all look like a Buddy Nix hire, although he may very well have a lot of respect for Marrone like a lot of established NFL brass.

Personally, I think both Brandon and Whaley were all over this guy, and I especially like that in one week we have gone from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Young, aggressive, organized, detail oriented. Not your daddy's or Uncle Ralphy's Bills.

Hiring a guy with some NFL experience who went on to a mediocre college coaching career? No, that's not something Buddy would do...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice you didn't mention his record, or how he failed to draft and develop a QB in 3 years, or how he made Fitz the QB of the future, or how he traded Marshawn for sh*t, or how he has drafted exactly one impact player in 3 drafts. I could keep going but he's gonna be fazed out soon so what's the point.

1) GM's don't develop any player.

2) He got what he could for Lynch. No one was offering any better.

3) I blame the lack of QB on Gailey who so badly wanted Fitz. I suppose you can blame Nix for not ignoring Gailey.

Anyway, you can make a list of things ANY GM didn't do.

Dunno who Ian Rappoport is, but if he said it, it must be true.

He's NFL Network's version of a Schefter or a Clayton, I suppose. I've seen him on TV a lot recently. It's not his opinion, it's what other front office personnel around the league have told him. He's not a local guy and has no vested interest in the Bills so I don't know what his motive would be in lying.

http://www.nfl.com/news/author?id=09000d5d8280f9d4

"Ian Rapoport has covered the NFL since 2009, previously serving as Patriots beat reporter for the Boston Herald for three seasons. Now a Dallas-based reporter, he has also covered the Alabama Crimson Tide for the Birmingham News and Mississippi State for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. In addition to writing for NFL.com, Rapoport is a reporter on NFL Network's Total Access and other shows."

He's NFL Network's version of a Schefter or a Clayton, I suppose. I've seen him on TV a lot recently. It's not his opinion, it's what other front office personnel around the league have told him. He's not a local guy and has no vested interest in the Bills so I don't know what his motive would be in lying.

http://www.nfl.com/n...9000d5d8280f9d4

"Ian Rapoport has covered the NFL since 2009, previously serving as Patriots beat reporter for the Boston Herald for three seasons. Now a Dallas-based reporter, he has also covered the Alabama Crimson Tide for the Birmingham News and Mississippi State for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. In addition to writing for NFL.com, Rapoport is a reporter on NFL Network's Total Access and other shows."

He works for the NFL Network. The next time someone on the NFL Network says ANYTHING bad about a coach hiring, it will be a 1st. It's the NFL's main marketing arm... the rest is hearsay and is about as reliable as, well, hearsay.

IMO, Buddy's here through the draft and then, back to either {1} being a "super scout", focused on the SEC or {2} his Tennessee porch.

Either way, I thank him for stabilizing the ship, even if the wheels fell off a bit this year based on the preseason expectations...

+1

Not saying it mattered. Just curious to know, and the interview process doesn't matter one bit on the Bills decisions on who they targeted 1st, or 2nd, or 3rd and so on. I have to believe they had a list of coaching prospects before they started the interview process and wonder where Marrone was on that list. That is all, not overly important, just curious.

Perhaps Marrone was the candidate most receptive to the use of analytics?

By no means am I a Buddy hater like some, but you're pushing it on many of the things you label as successes: Dareus is a cog?? He may well turn out that way, but based on what we all saw this year, that's a huge stretch. Same can be said for calling Gilmore a stud. I do think he has a better chance of being a stud than flub based on what he's shown as done more good things than bad, but a big stretch at this point calling him a stud. Her certainly looks real good on the Cordy Glenn pick. I will also grant you that Brooks does look like the 2nd best CB on the team, but you conveniently don't mention that BN used a second on Arron Williams who has looked anything but good.

Nix has done a decent job, but wouldn't give him glowing marks, maybe slightly below average and I'm probably being a bit generousness there. Of the last three drafts, I can think of four players he's drafted that may become studs, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, and Glenn. As for the rest, even the worse GM in the league will hit on some depth picks. Four studs in three years doesn't earn the grade of fine.

Coaching decision aside, Nix has done a fine job at GM. So I don't understand all the hate.

Spiller is now one of the best RB's in the league. Carrington is turning into a damn good DE. Dareus is the cog of our d line. Searcy is very good depth. Hairston has become our revolving lineman able to play tackle or guard, left or right. Urbik is our starting RG. Gilmore looks to be a stud. Cordy Glenn is our LT of the future. Brooks looks like the 2nd best CB on the team. Not to mention Bradham who looks good. Add the signing of Mario Williams, and Nick Barnett.

That's not bad for 3 years. He has done a solid job, I don't care what anyone says.

Hiring a guy with some NFL experience who went on to a mediocre college coaching career? No, that's not something Buddy would do...

You really have to be the most negative person I have ever encountered. You may not like this hire and that's fine. There are a ton of question marks about this guy like there is about all of the candidates. But you just naturally choose to look to the negative about everything. You can't really believe this seems like a Nix hire. Nix likes guys from the South, and/or old school NFL guys who have been HC in the NFL before.

He works for the NFL Network. The next time someone on the NFL Network says ANYTHING bad about a coach hiring, it will be a 1st. It's the NFL's main marketing arm... the rest is hearsay and is about as reliable as, well, hearsay.

And when 'Punch' originally posted it, it came with a 'FWIW'. Believe it, don't believe it, I really don't care. Just sharing something positive that an outsider said about the Bills. People here are always bitching and moaning about the media and so called experts either ignoring the Bills or crapping all over them that I thought some might actually enjoy seeing it again, right wrong or indifferent. Jesus H, the negativity and complete cynicism by some here even in what should be a fun and exciting time is ridiculously tiresome.

I'm one of those guys!

You have been one too, Coach. That's why I read you. Has FigNewton stolen your handle?!

What Kelly said.

I have been brutally tough on this team over the last ten years or so. But even I am willing to give them some credit for what has happened this week. They are trying to change, and trying to win. Take a breath and consider that.

1) GM's don't develop any player.

2) He got what he could for Lynch. No one was offering any better.

3) I blame the lack of QB on Gailey who so badly wanted Fitz. I suppose you can blame Nix for not ignoring Gailey.

Anyway, you can make a list of things ANY GM didn't do.

Well I guess you're right, you can't develop a QB if you don't draft one. He also hired and didn't want to fire Gailey. Gailey was Nix's choice so anything Gailey did goes back on Nix. He was the one who extended Fitz. And lets not act like guys like Chandler, Urbick and Carrington are pro bowlers. By the way, Carrington is a DT now.

There were plenty of reports that Nix could've gotten more for Lynch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/marshawn-lynch-could-have-been-a-saint/

By no means am I a Buddy hater like some, but you're pushing it on many of the things you label as successes: Dareus is a cog?? He may well turn out that way, but based on what we all saw this year, that's a huge stretch. Same can be said for calling Gilmore a stud. I do think he has a better chance of being a stud than flub based on what he's shown as done more good things than bad, but a big stretch at this point calling him a stud. Her certainly looks real good on the Cordy Glenn pick. I will also grant you that Brooks does look like the 2nd best CB on the team, but you conveniently don't mention that BN used a second on Arron Williams who has looked anything but good.

Nix has done a decent job, but wouldn't give him glowing marks, maybe slightly below average and I'm probably being a bit generousness there. Of the last three drafts, I can think of four players he's drafted that may become studs, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, and Glenn. As for the rest, even the worse GM in the league will hit on some depth picks. Four studs in three years doesn't earn the grade of fine.

Agreed...And though I'm far tougher on Nix than most, I'll add one potential stud to that list in Alex Carrington...I really feel like he's on the edge of being a player, and I think he's going to push Kyle Williams HARD for PT in 2013... B-)

Who do you think is the best GM in the league? How about best all time? Look at their draft record. Every GM has LOTS of misses.

Four studs in 3 years is below average? Wow. You truly don't know what you're talking about.

By the way, I absolutely think Dareus is a cog.

Edited by LiterateStylish

Weo, while I appreciate your frustration, the Bills got this one right. Saying he had a mediocre college career is pretty ignorant. He took over a complete dumpster fire. He has zero recruiting base in NY. DC, which is used to be a fertile recruiting ground for Syracuse is gone to the SEC (Bama's monster RT is from DC), and he had Dukes point guard starting at QB in his first year. His career at Cuse was anything but mediocre.

This last year he whooped a BCS team, tied for the division championship, won a bowl game vs a Big 12 team and beat a team from the SEC. Anyone who follows CFB knows he did a top 10 coaching job there this year. What was he suppose to do at Cuse?

Who do you think is the best GM in the league? How about best all time? Look at their draft record. Every GM has LOTS of misses.

By the way, I absolutely think Dareus is a cog.

Dareus was the 3rd overall pick. Didn't take a genius to pull the trigger on that one.

Well I guess you're right, you can't develop a QB if you don't draft one. He also hired and didn't want to fire Gailey. Gailey was Nix's choice so anything Gailey did goes back on Nix. He was the one who extended Fitz. And lets not act like guys like Chandler, Urbick and Carrington are pro bowlers. By the way, Carrington is a DT now.

There were plenty of reports that Nix could've gotten more for Lynch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/marshawn-lynch-could-have-been-a-saint/

LOL. Tell me you're squabbling about a 3rd vs 4th rounder.