Selecting a Coach at the Buffet Table

30dive

Does it feel to you that once again the Buffalo Bills are confused……It seems like Friday night dinning with a bunch of friends, no one is sure what they want for dinner, no one is willing to make the call or upset someone, not sure how much money the others really want to spend, so where do we go? We go to the buffet of course! Just like our Friday confusion, the Bills go to the Buffet too, for some reason they refuse to say, I know what I want, I want the best steak available and I am willing to open my wallet to get that steak. I am going to sit down with that steak, and remain in the finest establishment with that steak until it is done! No the Bills seem to like to walk around the buffet tables and test the second rate beef , fried shrimp, pizza and that marketing genius, the chocolate fountain. The Bills need to say we are going to go after X coach, he is the guy we want, he will get it done for us and we are going keep him with us until he says," yes I will be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills"…….Zero Restrictions!

I think this a internal management issue. I think most likely they all want something different and in the end the loudest voice in the room will prevail. I think given our roster and current condition of the franchise the most logical choice would be Lovie(not the necessarily the best choice). But the fact that they didn't even meet with him till yesterday shows they are pulling in several directions, IMO. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that Whaley wants Whiz and, if he is the future GM, his voice carries the loudest.

I can appreciate where you're coming from. Some of the coaches they've interviewed made me cringe.

However, they did say it would be an "extensive search." Russ Brandon also noted that he was tired of people calling the organization 'cheap' and that when they know what they want, they are prepared to spend and get it.

Personally, I like that they are testing the waters instead of diving right in. Weighing the possibilities and comparing interviews, regardless of how realistic a candidate is, gives the front office a more complete picture of what each coach has to offer. Annoying to fans, yes, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until a decision is made. It may appear they are confused or leaning different ways, but is that really such a bad thing? Balance of power.

I feel like this is Brandon's first Coaching Search. Just like when buying your first car, it is good to shop around, compare features and test drive. That way, you are not picking the first car you drive because it is "new". Maybe Brandon wants to compare and contrast all of the candidates and then have the group chime in on them once they have met with all of them.

Personally, I feel good about that. Better than hiring the first guy through the door because you liked him. Maybe you'll like the next guy more!

In fact, there is something to being the first interviewee... if you aren't hired on the spot, chances are you won't be hired. The interviewer will use your interview as a springboard for the next interviews... and all the while will be unknowingly comparing you to the next candidates.

Edited by ShipUPride

Unfortunately, unlike the steak- the coach has a say on if you get him. And there's only one of each coach. If your neighbor wants (and gets) the steak- your not screwed in your Friday night plans - you can order steak too.

People seem to forget that you can't force someone to sign.

People seem to forget that you can't force someone to sign.

Agree!

Nothing wrong with doing due diligence either. Take your time, get the right head coach, there are plenty of assistants available after that.

I can appreciate where you're coming from. Some of the coaches they've interviewed made me cringe.

However, they did say it would be an "extensive search." Russ Brandon also noted that he was tired of people calling the organization 'cheap' and that when they know what they want, they are prepared to spend and get it.

Personally, I like that they are testing the waters instead of diving right in. Weighing the possibilities and comparing interviews, regardless of how realistic a candidate is, gives the front office a more complete picture of what each coach has to offer. Annoying to fans, yes, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until a decision is made. It may appear they are confused or leaning different ways, but is that really such a bad thing? Balance of power.

Last time we jumped pretty quick that's why i tend to side with this poster . Last time too they only did a hand full of interviews & left some possibles on the table . This time let's see all we can before we jump .

I will say that if a guy like a Chip Kelly comes along & shows any interest than GET ER DONE ASAP because guys like him don't come along every day , but as i read in another article all of the other coaches will lack the same thing if hired a good NFL QB ..

So continue looking Bills & bring us the BEST winner available !!!

I wasn't sure if this thread was serious. I think you're filling in your emotions for rational thought. They are interviewing people. Even if they don't think a candidate is the one they want, it's a good idea to interview them. It gives you a good idea of what other candidates can offer when making a choice between the guys you do want.

First off, I don't think you're qualified to make a judement on what is going on in regards to the coaching search. All you know is what the horse s#it media is feeding you and so far what you're being fed is making you sick. Well, stop eating that s#it. .... which is about as useful as a message board. You could say the same thing about Ariz, Philly, Cleav, Chic and you'd still be wrong. Only those in the room, probably with signed non disclosure agreements, know WTF is going on. Brandon has outlined his "PROCESS" for the HC search and will see that through to the end, making what he believes is the best decision for this team going forward.

So, keep an open mind on the head coach. Even though Russ has supposedly not been involved a lot with the head coaching the past few years, he is now. Up to this point, he's been insulated from most of the media and fan poo poo throwing. But, he's been with the organization for more than a dozen years in a prominent role and Ralph has given him complete control of the organization with zero restrictions. So, for Russ, there is no more hiding and the fans aint gonn be cutting him any slack. It's his career to either throw down the drain or take to the top of the mountain. We know he's living with Buddy as GM short term, and that he's annointed and hitched his wagon to Whaley for the longer term as GM. Now he needs a coach that will turn things around quickly as well as a QB, LB, WR, secondary. The buck stops with Russ from here on out. Koolaid won't do it anymore. So, let Russ do what he sees is best and let him hire the coach he believes will get the job done. He deserves at least that. What he doesn't deserve is for us fans to embrace and love whatever selection is made as head coach. Just based on the message board, there are Lovie lovers, Chip lovers, Whiz lovers, Horton Lovers, McCoy lovers, Marrone Lovers. So some fans are gonna love it if one of those guys are hired, some are gonna hate the selection.

What we don't know, is how this team is going to perform with the new HC. My suggestion to you, and everyone, is whomever is selected, take it with a grain of salt. Don't get too high, don't get too low. It is what it is until it isn't. And, don't go out and buy tickets or Bills merchandise, because you don't know WTF your buying, another batch of s#it koolaid or a significantly improved on field product. If they even higher Cowher, you don't have a clue what you's be geting until we see on field results. Wait it out until after the preseason.... perhaps two to three games into the season. Then decide. Make these bastards earn our trust and loyalty.

Way to spin this badly. Bills fans = loser mentality. We'll never shake it. 3 years ago no one would even talk to us. Now we have solid candidates travelling to see us! We're talking to everyone. But that's a bad thing, right?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Something else different this time: I've been a Bills fan since the 60's and I can't remember the organization (read: Ralph) EVER being so public about the process and the candidates. I'm neither praising nor criticizing, just noticing. In the past whatever news we got was based on rumors and leaks. Even 3 years ago, the whole Shanahan thing -- go find something "official" that said either they wanted to talk to him or he wasn't interested. Everything was "sources say ..." Even announcing Chan was a surprise. This time around it's like courting Free Agents, the way PR's and announcements are coming out.

Maybe this is just Brandon's marketing chops showing through, but I think we know more about what's going on in the search for a Bills HC this time than ever before and that makes it easy to jump to conclusions.

Last time we jumped pretty quick that's why i tend to side with this poster . Last time too they only did a hand full of interviews & left some possibles on the table . This time let's see all we can before we jump .

I will say that if a guy like a Chip Kelly comes along & shows any interest than GET ER DONE ASAP because guys like him don't come along every day , but as i read in another article all of the other coaches will lack the same thing if hired a good NFL QB ..

So continue looking Bills & bring us the BEST winner available !!!

Hunh? The last time, it was a 1 horse race. Seattle and Washington targeted specific coaches and went out hired them.

Well Well Well......I read a few responses to this thread, and yes emotions play out in my post and dare I say everyones who posts on this site, and yes I know nothing about the inner thoughts of Buffalo Bills management. But But But......It looks to me that the Bills went to the buffet table and decided to buy there. No plan to go with a known fine steak dinner. Now hold on a minute I like Doug Marrone,,,,,at Syracuse....But I have no reason to believe at the guys running the Bills for the last decade plus have offered anything other than another vist to the buffet......Williams, Mularkey, Juron, Gaily........I hope I am wrong. Go Bills!