Fiesta bowl thread

NoSaint

There is a lot to worry about him as an NFL coach. Can he hire a good staff on offense or defense being at the top of the list. But to just automatically say this gimmick would not work in the NFL I don't want him is not at all fair to him.

Any team that hires Chip Kelly does so on the hope that he is smart enough to design a totally new offense that would work against NFL defenses. Because what he is doing at Oregon would not work. So basically you are rolling the dice. Could pay off big, or could go broke.

PTR

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Any team that hires Chip Kelly does so on the hope that he is smart enough to design a totally new offense that would work against NFL defenses. Because what he is doing at Oregon would not work. So basically you are rolling the dice. Could pay off big, or could go broke.

PTR

For sure. You'd almost rather hire him as a consultant for a built team, like bill billichek calling him for tutoring. His premise is proper, but whether he personally will execute it effectively in the nfl is a big question.

Which is another perk - he'd stop helping the pats!

PTR

During a film break down with Kelly and Urban Meyer, he (Kelly) stated that if he had the personnel to run a power I offense that is what he would do. So it sounds like he builds his offense around his talent, not trying to force it into a specific scheme.

PTR

Untrue. There is a lot of what he is doing at Oregon that is already in the NFL and already working.

You're rolling the dice, true. But you are rolling it with any of them.

During a film break down with Kelly and Urban Meyer, he (Kelly) stated that if he had the personnel to run a power I offense that is what he would do. So it sounds like he builds his offense around his talent, not trying to force it into a specific scheme.

Right but a whole new scheme, is risky, even if willing.

Untrue. There is a lot of what he is doing at Oregon that is already in the NFL and already working.

You're rolling the dice, true. But you are rolling it with any of them.

It's not as radical as most think but it'd take some tweaking I think.

A lot of what he does is not new at all.

Was just replying- that was specifically to him running a power I, which would be new to him, is a risk even if willing to try it.

I also think he'd need some adjusting for the nfl. Not as much as most, but likely some tweaks at the very least.

Edited by NoSaint

PTR

Kind of like the playoff bound Redskins? Played to their strengths, just like any intelligent coach would. ( Insert Chan comment here )

Was just replying- that was specifically to him running a power I, which would be new to him.

I also think he'd need some adjusting for the nfl. Not as much as most, but likely some tweaks at the very least.

Right. Of course.

Maybe the best quote from him was this week when someone asked if his system would work in the NFL and he said "I don't know, I've never been there." If he really thought he would just take his system and force feed it to the NFL, that is not what you would say.

Was just replying- that was specifically to him running a power I, which would be new to him, is a risk even if willing to try it.

Certainly, he will need time for adjusting to the NFL game. It would or will be interesting to see how he does however this plays out.

Right. Of course.

Maybe the best quote from him was this week when someone asked if his system would work in the NFL and he said "I don't know, I've never been there." If he really thought he would just take his system and force feed it to the NFL, that is not what you would say.

I'd be willing to pull the trigger. If I were the GM pulling the trigger I'd probably not be able to watch the first month of the season due to nerves.... But.... Ill take a smart, confident but non-egotistical guy as a decision maker any day.

Edited by NoSaint

Perhaps someone who follows college recruiting can help me out here but it seems like Oregon has much better athletes than K-State.

Atleast a different type. Kstate is the classic middle America grind it out team, while Oregon goes after speed and conditioning.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.